It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Meteorite enter atmosphere????????????

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 6 2005 @ 11:41 PM
link   
This morning at 1:30 am South African time we saw something entering the atmosphere. It entered at a angle and for about 1 minute everything whas bright blue in the sky. This is being confirmed by people from all over South Africa from Cape Town To Johannesburg. Does anybody know about this or what it could be.

posted on Jan, 6 2005 @ 11:46 PM
link   
Where do you live in S. Africa? It would be easier to find news links for you if we knew what city you were near.

Did it make any sounds? What was its color? Did you see it break up or explode?

posted on Jan, 6 2005 @ 11:50 PM
link   
I live in East London about 1000km from Cape Town, no bang or any sound at all only this very bright light entering and this strange bright blue glow afterwards that lasts about 1 minute. Our loacal radio station radio algoa picked up on this to and is flooded by calls from people that saw this entering

posted on Jan, 7 2005 @ 09:58 AM
link   
I have not heard about one there, but on meteoritecentral.com there was this:

cbs2chicago.com...

I guess people in Wisconsin saw a flash of light a glow then a big explosion. THey think it was a meteor. that was on the 4th.

I will keep looking though. I kind of find it odd. there was one in southern Missouri a week before thanksgiving too. I thought that meteors were a rare thing. Guess I was wrong.
Asia said that in the weeks leading up to the earthquake their skys were lit up several times by meteors. I will see if I can still find that site, and more on the one in Africa on the 6th.

posted on Jan, 7 2005 @ 11:13 AM
link   
Wow, sounds like one massive meteorite to light up the sky bright blue, also lasted quite a while...1minute. Ill have to check into this.

posted on Jan, 7 2005 @ 01:39 PM
link   
Noone in Africa owns any camera's I guess.

posted on Jan, 7 2005 @ 03:42 PM
link   
So far there has been no news coverage on this, only our local radio station this morning. There has been reports from various people seeing this strange glow. I am not sure if this whas a meteorite or not, for i have never seen anything like it. We are a couple of guys who all seen this light and will start phoning the weather stations tomorrow.

posted on Jan, 7 2005 @ 03:47 PM
link   
Not to nit pick or anything, but unless it hit the ground, it's called a meteor. Only when it hits earch can it be called a meteorite :-)

posted on Jan, 7 2005 @ 03:50 PM
link   
I saw one last night about 730pm EST in the ESE sky last night.

posted on Jan, 7 2005 @ 03:51 PM
link   
THe invasion has begun, and soon we will all be fooodddd!!!!!

posted on Jan, 7 2005 @ 03:54 PM
link   

Not to nit pick or anything, but unless it hit the ground, it's called a meteor. Only when it hits earch can it be called a meteorite :-)

Actually, that's a really cool fact to know. Thanks for that.
Is that Bif Naked in your avatar?

posted on Jan, 7 2005 @ 03:58 PM
link   
Yes it is Bif Naked....She ROCKS!

[edit on 7-1-2005 by sensfan]

posted on Jan, 7 2005 @ 04:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by jrod
I saw one last night about 730pm EST in the ESE sky last night.

Where are you at?

why the heck are there so many meorites hitting us?

posted on Jan, 7 2005 @ 04:25 PM
link   
We've been hit by a lot of meteorites? Could have fooled me. It might seem that way becuase every little spec that lights up the sky gets turned into a thread on here, but trust me, as an amateur astronomer, it is nothing out of the ordinary. On any given night, under dark skies, you can go out and see a few meteors an hour.

posted on Jan, 7 2005 @ 04:29 PM
link   
i was at cape caneveral Fl it was in the east south east sky moving easterly, away from me at that location.

new topics

top topics

join