It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mexican marijuana farmers see profits tumble as U.S. loosens laws

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 31 2015 @ 09:58 AM
link   
a reply to: LSU0408

You need to get over that trip you are on. The cartels ALREADY are out when it comes to marijuana.

I get it, you saw reefer madness, pot is the devil.

posted on Dec, 31 2015 @ 10:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: crazyewok

Then your no different than a progressive who wants his own form of nanny state.

Why should government be the one to tell us what we can do or not do with our own bodies?

And it was only make illegal half way through the 20th century.

Only time fines should come in is if your driving or operating machinery under the influence.

You still aren't reading me right. I'm agreeing with you other than making all drugs legal. Weed should carry the same fine as alcohol. I'm not telling people what they can and can't do with their body, how are you interpreting that from my post? I think wearing a seat belt is BS because of that very reason that it's your body, but I've been ticketed for it. The drugs were made illegal because of the harm they do to your body.

posted on Dec, 31 2015 @ 10:05 AM
link   
a reply to: Vector99

No, you need to relax, I'm not on a trip. I just think weed should carry the same fine as alcohol and I disagree with legalizing it. If you don't think cartels that deal mainly in weed will be pissed off over their loss of revenue then that's fine, I just disagree.

What is reefer madness?

posted on Dec, 31 2015 @ 10:05 AM
link   

Those same drugs are available as long as you have a prescription. They just come in pill form (the hard ones that is)

posted on Dec, 31 2015 @ 10:06 AM
link   

posted on Dec, 31 2015 @ 10:09 AM
link   

Indeed. And coc aine is used to clog blood vessels in your nose at the hospital for an uncontrollable nose bleed. That doesn't mean it should be legal for everyone. I know you know what happens when you get caught with prescription pills that aren't prescribed to you.

posted on Dec, 31 2015 @ 10:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: LSU0408

Then your no different than a progressive who wants his own form of nanny state.

Why should government be the one to tell us what we can do or not do with our own bodies?

Only time fines should come in is if your driving or operating machinery under the influence.

The drugs were made illegal because of the harm they do to your body.

Government does harm to society, so it should be illegal too right?

This is just another case of somebody trying to tell somebody else what to do and you know it.

posted on Dec, 31 2015 @ 10:16 AM
link   

I can't sit through an hour video, brother. I'm at work. But I don't have a problem with marijuana or those that use it, and I don't judge people that do. I've never smoked it but all but one of my friends were always smoking it. I don't support drinking and driving (unless you can handle it) and I don't support smoking and driving (unless you can handle it). I can drive buzzed, some of my friends couldn't. I've even passed a sobriety test after my passenger tossed a beer can out of my truck after we left a party and I got pulled over. I had friends that could smoke weed and you'd never know it, and some that couldn't smoke and drive without swerving or driving really slow. If you're able to do it without getting caught, be my guest. If not, then don't do it. Legalizing will make it easier for those that can't handle it, to do it.

Just my opinion. NOT trying to argue.

posted on Dec, 31 2015 @ 10:18 AM
link   

I don't support drinking and driving (unless you can handle it) and I don't support smoking and driving (unless you can handle it).

WTF did you mis-speak?

posted on Dec, 31 2015 @ 10:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: eXia7

This is just another case of somebody trying to tell somebody else what to do and you know it.

No, but that's the same lame ass excuse I keep being told, even though I'd never tell anyone what to do with their body. As I've already stated several times, I don't care what people do, but I don't think any drug should be readily available for any 18 year old on every corner. Having a dealer on every corner is bad enough, but at least it keeps people away that have a fear of being caught and arrested. Once legal, that fear is gone.

I am allowed to have my own opinion about this, correct?

posted on Dec, 31 2015 @ 10:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: JimNasium
Perhaps the U.S. can make things right and send them some more guns like 'Fast & Furious'? and it can be just like the movie franchise and every time We send more guns, We can add numbers after so this would in effect be Fast & Furious II- The Next Phase or some other catchy name..

Or We can do what We did in Afghanistan. In 2001 when The Taliban ran things the Afghans supplied only 7% of the world's opium, now since there has been a "war" that number has climbed to 86%+.

Why worry about cannabis when the majority are now hooked on heroin? Just the "way" they want it. They make the money on the sales AND the incarceration of those that don't die first...

Any heroin abuse in Your neighborhood? Do the folks that get busted go to the "Private Jail"?

Wakie Wakie...

namaste

You may be more correct than you know. A friend of mine moved from a small town in utah. Not far from Colorado, and said "I hadn't seen a bag of grass for months, but everyone knew where to find heroin". That made me sad.

posted on Dec, 31 2015 @ 10:34 AM
link   

You're insane if you think the cartels are gonna cross the boarder to destroy dispensaries and farms. The cartels already deal in all the other drugs as well, along with many other criminal activities.

posted on Dec, 31 2015 @ 10:38 AM
link   
Marijuana should be legalized in all 50 states.

It would boost income and profits in areas of the US and can be taxed like cigarettes. Kentucky, Virginia, West Virginia, Tennessee, the Carolinas....Indiana....would become bumper crop states. Legal age to buy would have to be 21, unlike cigarettes at 18.

Drug usage would not increase (it's a scare tactic to think so). If you are under the influence on the job, in your car...etc. You get fined like alcohol. Read about how this is handled in Amsterdam. Very interesting how they work with it.

It would put a portion of the illegal drug trade between Mexico and the US out of business.

The money spent yearly by the fed, state and local Governments to combat weed could be funneled elsewhere.

www.amsterdam.info...

edit on 31-12-2015 by wdkirk because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 31 2015 @ 10:42 AM
link   
a reply to: Swills

So I've heard.

posted on Dec, 31 2015 @ 10:46 AM
link   
a reply to: wdkirk

I wish you guys would get it all legal because then my government would have to listen to the people for once.
even our chief medical drug tsar said it should be before he quit.

posted on Dec, 31 2015 @ 10:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: boymonkey74

I wish you guys would get it all legal because then my government would have to listen to the people for once.

I couldn't agree more. We are slow to install things like this. As the baby boomer bible beater generation fades away and Generation X takes over I think you will see our political system evolve with the times. I hope so anyway.

posted on Dec, 31 2015 @ 10:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: eXia7

No, but that's the same lame ass excuse I keep being told, even though I'd never tell anyone what to do with their body. As I've already stated several times, I don't care what people do, but I don't think any drug should be readily available for any 18 year old on every corner. Having a dealer on every corner is bad enough, but at least it keeps people away that have a fear of being caught and arrested. Once legal, that fear is gone.

I am allowed to have my own opinion about this, correct?

So we should just allow cartels to continue selling the drugs to fund crime instead of let legit growers run a business, I see I see.

and if you haven't noticed, there is already a drug dealer on every corner lol
edit on 12/31/2015 by eXia7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 31 2015 @ 11:03 AM
link   

Problem is two things:

1) You will always get some police officer or magistrate who is a busy body nanny state fan and will try and make a "example" and through heavy fines or light prison (though very very rare)sentences at some poor sod. Not really a fan of giving such mini tyrants in political or civil positions power and I enjoy taking it away from them

2) Criminal record. Here you can get slapped with a criminal record which likes the USA basically makes you unemployable. It only lasts 5 years but that possibly 5 years out of work. Now I hear you "thats the pot smokers fault" and in some ways I cant fault that. BUT as a taxpayers it me that has to fund them while out of work, that’s a welfare bill I have to folk up for when its not needed. Plus you got over factors because being out of work will lower self esteem and increases the chance of them falling into more drugs and alcohol abuse creating downward spiral of unemployment, health bills and criminal behaviour.

3) It still wastes police and court time . I think in the UK something like £500 million wasted on Cannabis law enforcemnet.Thats 500 million of my money. even if we could half that to £250 million thats £250 million saved we could use to go after either real criminals like rapists, pedos and thieves or put it into schools/hospitals ect.

Better in my opinion to just legalise it and put in place extremly strict rules on use and sale and tax the # out of it to cover any expenses to society.

edit on 31-12-2015 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

edit on 31-12-2015 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 31 2015 @ 11:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: boymonkey74

The problem is with our battle axe home secratory May.

To be honest I only think she is keeping it illegal is to spite the police which she seems have a vendetta with.

posted on Dec, 31 2015 @ 11:55 AM
link   
Drugs, prostitution, and all forms of gambling should be legalized. I don't believe government should be in the business of trying to prohibit vices. The amount of money we waste every year trying to police vices is just absurd. GIven the amount of people in jail, making it illegal is obviously not working.

We'd probably see our murder rates and other petty crime rates go down as most of it is tied directly or indirectly to drug prohibition.

All that money could be better spent on offering rehab and addiction services. In addition, I believe by making thing forbidden, we drive more people to wanting to try things to satiate their curiosity.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join