It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Schools 'Must Teach Britain Is Christian'.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 29 2015 @ 12:55 PM
link   
As an American, I'm not really that up on education in the UK but it seems like the guidelines constitute an endorsement of Christianity as the state religion. That would concern me as "this is a Christian nation!" is literally the declaration of Christian nationalist assholes.

As an atheist, I don't really see how giving equal time to atheism is even a serious concern in the context of what I presume is secular introduction to the world's major religions. There's not really that much to be said — teach kids about other religions so that they're not ignorant of what other people believe — and then tell them that the third largest group in the world is non-religious/agnostic/atheists.

posted on Dec, 29 2015 @ 01:07 PM
link   
This just seems to be the death throes of Christianity in the UK, an attempt to make it more pertinent to a population that's generally moving away from mysticism and magic.

It can be seen on a Sunday when it's a trickle of pure silver and grey haired congregants that can be seen shuffling out through the doors of their houses of worship.

posted on Dec, 29 2015 @ 01:20 PM
link   
a reply to: CharlieSpeirs

Isn't the church of England owned by the state?

posted on Dec, 29 2015 @ 01:21 PM
link   
You can't be a Christian country just by telling everyone it is and you can't become one by forcing everybody to read a book and sing hymns. You become one by embodying the tenets of the religion and walking it so others see the value of it until your ideals become a beacon that others aspire to.

As much as I dislike fundamentalists and religion in general I would actually love to see England become a Christian nation, even a Muslim nation, that would be preferable to the hateful and self absorbed society we have now.

posted on Dec, 29 2015 @ 01:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: MagnaCarta2015

As much as I dislike fundamentalists and religion in general I would actually love to see England become a Christian nation, even a Muslim nation, that would be preferable to the hateful and self absorbed society we have now.

What makes you think a christian or Muslim nation wouldnt be hateful or self-absorbed?

Religion has had a lot of hate to throw around, ask it's various denominations and look into our treatment of gay folk over the past few hundred/thousand years..

posted on Dec, 29 2015 @ 01:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: DISRAELI

For the benefit of American members, we should explain that a weekly lesson of "religious education" is a legal requirement in state schools, going back to the 1945 Education Act.

Religious education covers education of all faiths, and atheism. It is not an exercise in teaching Christianity, but rather to broaden minds on what faith is.

www.gov.uk...
www.gov.uk...

posted on Dec, 29 2015 @ 01:39 PM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

You forgot Quran and its teachings which are ruling Islamic view of World.. means everyone has to be a muslim and World must be muslim.
Then you need to open your eyes and look who and why someone gives you their views and what their views are actually. Lately everything considering christianity means "evil" that is how TPTB and NWO with the help of media wants you to believe. Islam most likely is a tool to get New World order. TPTB don´t want you to get along your life thriving, they want you act like zombie and obey.

Islam is about obeying... and produces sheep people. Islamization of the World is already happening.

posted on Dec, 29 2015 @ 01:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: Prezbo369

What makes you think a christian or Muslim nation wouldnt be hateful or self-absorbed?

Religion has had a lot of hate to throw around, ask it's various denominations and look into our treatment of gay folk over the past few hundred/thousand years..

I'd like it if they actually embodied the basic principles of the religion instead of the rigidly dogmatic vagueries.

posted on Dec, 29 2015 @ 01:54 PM
link   

I'd like it if they actually embodied the basic principles of the religion instead of the rigidly dogmatic vagueries.

We both know that's not going to happen the past few thousand years shows as much, it's just too divisive.

posted on Dec, 29 2015 @ 01:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: LesMisanthrope

Isn't the church of England owned by the state?

No

posted on Dec, 29 2015 @ 02:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: paraphi
Religious education covers education of all faiths, and atheism. It is not an exercise in teaching Christianity, but rather to broaden minds on what faith is.

No, that is what it has become.
My post was offering an historical explanation of what its original purpose was.
I still have in my possession the exercise book used when I was 11, on which the name of the class is marked as "Biblical Knowledge".
That is precisely what it was in the original conception- "an exercise in teaching Christianity".
Having said something about the historical background, I then observed that while, under modern conditions, all this had got extended into comparative religion, an expectation that religious education should be about religion and not about irreligion was at least doing something to preserve the original object of the exercise.

edit on 29-12-2015 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2015 @ 02:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: dollukka
a reply to: olaru12

You forgot Quran and its teachings which are ruling Islamic view of World.. means everyone has to be a muslim and World must be muslim.
Then you need to open your eyes and look who and why someone gives you their views and what their views are actually. Lately everything considering christianity means "evil" that is how TPTB and NWO with the help of media wants you to believe. Islam most likely is a tool to get New World order. TPTB don´t want you to get along your life thriving, they want you act like zombie and obey.

Islam is about obeying... and produces sheep people. Islamization of the World is already happening.

Thankfully nonsense like the above isn't being taught to children.

A good example of the hate and divisiveness I mentioned...

posted on Dec, 29 2015 @ 02:07 PM
link   

We both know that's not going to happen the past few thousand years shows as much, it's just too divisive.

Unfortunate but true

posted on Dec, 29 2015 @ 02:21 PM
link   
a reply to: paraphi

No

But it is officially established by the state. Correct?

posted on Dec, 29 2015 @ 02:59 PM
link   
I thought he must just be a protestant-basher but he seems to want to increase the choice of religious education for parents. Unfortunately, there really isn't going to be much choice for those students who go to super-schools with over 2000 students.

posted on Dec, 29 2015 @ 03:16 PM
link   

A good example of the hate and divisiveness I mentioned...

You get insulted by theory ? And get personal ?

Does Islam teach World dominance ?

You know the answer, skip the personal insults !

posted on Dec, 29 2015 @ 03:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: dollukka

You get insulted by theory ? And get personal ?

No insult and nothing personal so you don't have to play the victim, you just posted a bunch of prejudiced nonsense that's all.

Does Islam teach World dominance ?

You know the answer, skip the personal insults !

You could interpret that from its scriptures, but you could also interpret that from any such vague and ancient collection of superstitions, such as the bible...

posted on Dec, 29 2015 @ 03:37 PM
link   
a reply to: Prezbo369

Right after my reply you went and commented on my late thread with similar insults. That is not playing fair. The thread i will not link here as it is not allowed by TOS as it is considered pretty much as "marketing" own thread.
That thread is totally another issue which happened in my real life. Thank you for your "understanding"
edit on 29-12-2015 by dollukka because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2015 @ 03:58 PM
link   

Nothing to do with 'right wing'.

I think people in this Country need to understand where Britain lies and its not going to become a 'Muslim' country... so those who think it will or should, should take heed!

Thats all this is stating.... nothing to do with 'right wing'

posted on Dec, 29 2015 @ 04:01 PM
link   

According to the UK Department for Education policy, Christian schools must teach evolutionary science and are not allowed to teach Biblical Creation (not even in RE classes!). If they do teach Biblical Creation, they will have their funding cut (not reduced, cut entirely). To me, this is an attempt by humanist groups to close Christian schools or to force them to abandon their core syllabus - a situation alluded to by the Education Secretary, Nicky Morgan. So far 14 Christian schools have had their funding withdrawn in the UK because of this legislation (Cre ationism still taught in faith schools despite Government funding threat - The Telegraph).

In my opinion, Biblical creation and evolution are totally different things and do not contradict each other. Evolution is a process of biological change and adaptation. It says nothing about abiogenesis. Biblical Creation describes abiogenesis (but from a moral/ethical standpoint, not a technical process one). It says nothing about biological change and adaptation.

So, two conflicting laws trying to tell UK schools, teachers and student how to think and educate!

Perhaps that is what has to be done to achieve a fair balance?

edit on 29/12/2015 by chr0naut because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join