It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.
Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.
Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.
Major Issues and Group Opinions
- Dont know enough about human capabilities and limitations to concur on mission length
- 3 voted for 1-month stay for first trip
- 2 voted for full 18 month stay first trip
- 5 abstentions
- Concurred more human factors, science and safety tradeoffs need to be done before mission length decided.
Agreed on Some Issues Being Critical to Mars Mission
- Adaptation/Decrement to long duration mission Unknown
- Kinesthetic, neurovestibular, bone depletion
- Perceptual, Cognitive, Stress
- Aging, injury
- Preparedness for Self-sufficiency
- Extra knowledge, training, versatility of crew
- On-board support systems to replace ground support
- VETT for en-route simulation and training
- Intelligent agents, dynamic task allocation, are crucial
- Real-time monitoring of alertness and workload
Must Learn from ISS
1. Corporate Memory
- Anomalies and how dealt with
- Locus of control issues: crew, ground, automation
- Intelligent database, query, presentation
NASA Cultural Acceptance
- HFE Has tools to evaluate workload, task analysis, function allocation
- HFE Risks of mission options
- Need to work with crew to develop trust so we can get the data we need