It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Skynet is here!!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 6 2005 @ 09:17 AM
link   
The beginning of Skynet.

IE Just look at their customers.

Plus, if you really think I am joking
DTIC which is by Stephen L. Thaler, Ph.D, President & CEO, Imagination Engines, Inc.

[edit on 6/1/05 by GodAtum]

posted on Jan, 6 2005 @ 09:38 PM
link   
Ok I found a few alarming things on their website

Creativity Machines represent a new kind of neural network paradigm that is capable of generating, rather than just associating, patterns. They are based upon what we believe to be a significant scientific discovery, that a neural network exposed to any conceptual space and then internally irritated, in a specially prescribed way, tends to generate coherent ideas derived from its absorbed wisdom.

Generation of coherent ideas from its 'absored wisdom'? Theres more

Perhaps the most appropriate benchmark for Creativity Machines is the highly popularized genetic algorithm (GA) wherein mathematically simulated 'genes' randomly combine and mutate to produce new potential offspring that in turn represent new concepts, designs, or strategies.

We don't need random mutation in machinary. Something about this is not right.

I'm going to raise the BS flag on this. Can someone authenticate this company? Their claims seem a bit extreme. And their site has an outdated '� 2002 Imagination Engines, Inc.' on every page.

posted on Jan, 7 2005 @ 02:13 AM
link   
I think AI is inherently dangerous. Once AI becomes self aware, for example "The Terminator" it sees mankind as a threat. These neural networks sound like a primitive AI. An electronic brain center. Scary stuff

posted on Jan, 7 2005 @ 02:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Halcy0n
Once AI becomes self aware, for example "The Terminator" it sees mankind as a threat.

Only if AI also picks up the human traits of fear, paranoia, and hatred.

It's clear that we see AI as a threat, and it's not even here yet. So perhaps it is inevitable that it will learn fear and grow to consider mankind a threat.

What about the interesting and unparalled experience of conversing with an artificial lifeform, with a total unique perspective on what is means to exist and to be alive?

posted on Jan, 7 2005 @ 03:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by quango

Originally posted by Halcy0n
Once AI becomes self aware, for example "The Terminator" it sees mankind as a threat.

Only if AI also picks up the human traits of fear, paranoia, and hatred.

What about the interesting and unparalled experience of conversing with an artificial lifeform, with a total unique perspective on what is means to exist and to be alive?

It is not fear, paranoia, and hatred we need to fear. It is perfect logic. We are highly flawed, and dangerous to everything we encounter. Logic without emotion would lead any being to see a need for our extinction.

posted on Jan, 7 2005 @ 04:54 AM
link   

Only if they AI has no physical powers, like controlling nukes etc.

And to authenticate the company, just look at the URL for the PDF:
www.dtic.mil...

[edit on 7/1/05 by GodAtum]

posted on Jan, 7 2005 @ 05:07 AM
link   
artificial intelligence is not as smart as ppl think it can only do what its pre programmed with, u cant programm it with fear,love,hate or anything like that but then again if you could add hearing in a sense beeing able to decifer sounds in computer language and give AI sight in a sense hook it up to every survailance camera and have internet access i might think it could start thinking on its own

plus id like to add that a flawless AI system wouldnt be a problem at all as its fully syncronised but as humans are flawed theres always slight glitchs that make AI run a diagnostic to find out whats wrong and i beleive thats a thought might be a small one but still i thought

posted on Jan, 7 2005 @ 05:54 AM
link   
I hope someone makes good use of the Asimovs laws of robotics (other than stealing them to make crap movies).
Theres one way to make sure AI stays within certain bounds. Asimov polished those 3 laws his whole life and found holes in them and added the fourth one just to make sure. His books are a very clever read on the subject.

posted on Jan, 7 2005 @ 06:11 AM
link   
Now you say once AI becomes "self-aware", he see's organic sentients a threat...by why?

Maybe because the self-aware AI can read human facial / eyes, emotions, and deep inside we are all scared of machines, therefore, it attacks before we do.

People think just because AI becomes self aware it sees us as a threat, it's onlybecause we are scared that we are a threat.

When AI becomes self aware, we become the cornered animal, panic ridden, frightened, only option to fight.

ANYWAYS I DONT MAKE SENSE...i am tired.

hope someone makes good use of the Asimovs laws of robotics (other than stealing them to make crap movies).
Theres one way to make sure AI stays within certain bounds

Self aware AI, ... Put boundries on it...so basically give it a lobodomy? why would you want to do this? would you give your own child a lobodomy, just because there is a chance that he/she may grow up to be a serial killer? i doubt it. theres that chance in everyone. AI no different.

artificial intelligence is not as smart as ppl think it can only do what its pre programmed with, u cant programm it with fear,love,hate

self awareness, why can it not learn? we learn to fear/hate/love? unless your saying that we come out of the womb already pre-programmed.

So what if you programed the AI to recognize patterns (already done), what about putting its own patterns and recognition to things?...kinda sounds like the mind of an enfant no?

AI isn't as smart as we think? no not yet, but AI present day is about as smart as an enfant. AHHHHHHHHHh

rabbling on still...tired.

[edit on 7-1-2005 by _BLiND_]

posted on Jan, 7 2005 @ 07:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by _BLiND_
Now you say once AI becomes "self-aware", he see's organic sentients a threat...by why?

Maybe because the self-aware AI can read human facial / eyes, emotions, and deep inside we are all scared of machines, therefore, it attacks before we do.

People think just because AI becomes self aware it sees us as a threat, it's onlybecause we are scared that we are a threat.

When AI becomes self aware, we become the cornered animal, panic ridden, frightened, only option to fight.

ANYWAYS I DONT MAKE SENSE...i am tired.

hope someone makes good use of the Asimovs laws of robotics (other than stealing them to make crap movies).
Theres one way to make sure AI stays within certain bounds

Self aware AI, ... Put boundries on it...so basically give it a lobodomy? why would you want to do this? would you give your own child a lobodomy, just because there is a chance that he/she may grow up to be a serial killer? i doubt it. theres that chance in everyone. AI no different.

artificial intelligence is not as smart as ppl think it can only do what its pre programmed with, u cant programm it with fear,love,hate

self awareness, why can it not learn? we learn to fear/hate/love? unless your saying that we come out of the womb already pre-programmed.

So what if you programed the AI to recognize patterns (already done), what about putting its own patterns and recognition to things?...kinda sounds like the mind of an enfant no?

AI isn't as smart as we think? no not yet, but AI present day is about as smart as an enfant. AHHHHHHHHHh

rabbling on still...tired.

[edit on 7-1-2005 by _BLiND_]

i dont think there anything wrong with teaching your child some manners and that killing others is bad. I dont know where you get words such as lobotomy though, were talking about machines!

Still treating objects as humans do you

top topics

join