It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russian cruise missile test goes wrong; hits apartment building

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 15 2015 @ 09:10 PM
link   
This is NOT about bashing Russia or their weaponry. This is simply about a missile test that could have gone wrong anywhere.

That said, a Russian cruise missile being tested by NPO Mashinostroyeniye went off courseduring the test and hit an apartment building in the town of Nyonoksa, approximately 600 miles from Moscow. No word on the type of missile, but there are no reported injuries.

www.rferl.mobi...

posted on Dec, 15 2015 @ 09:12 PM
link   
" It was being tested "

Not a rocket scientist here but don't missile's often fail, or for there to be an increased probability during testing phase?

edit on 15-12-2015 by all2human because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2015 @ 09:15 PM
link   
a reply to: all2human

It's about navigation control in modern tech......my heavens.....this means cover up when the rocket keepers are gonna light one off....

No injuries but the people outside sitting and watching the people and the evening twilight.......shat upon themselves when this thing big as a railroad train came slamming in the hood

edit on 15-12-2015 by GBP/JPY because: A

edit on 15-12-2015 by GBP/JPY because: A

posted on Dec, 15 2015 @ 09:20 PM
link   

Not hitting apartment buildings. Yes they go wrong, that's the point of testing, but they very rarely hit where people live.

edit on 12/15/2015 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2015 @ 09:42 PM
link   

An experimental surface-to-air missile in April crashed on launch in the same region of Arkhangelsk.

Turns out the reason the rent is so low is that the apartments are on the test range.

I wonder if there will be a third time.

posted on Dec, 15 2015 @ 09:49 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Forgive my ignorance but would I be right in assuming that the missile wasn't armed and any damage caused was due to kinetic energy ?

posted on Dec, 15 2015 @ 09:51 PM
link   
a reply to: UmbraSumus

As far as I've seen, yes, it was carrying a telemetry package, not a warhead. The damage would have been kinetic and thermal from the engine.

posted on Dec, 15 2015 @ 09:58 PM
link   

But not everything seems to have gone according to the plan – particularly in Crimea’s Sevastopol, when the Russian frigate Ladny attempted to fire at a simulated target.

Another Russian missile fail , or was it , perhaps a submarine was just of its bow . But like you said Zaphod , sometimes crap happens but it can be very embarrassing if its a naval parade .

Here is an American efforts on the USS The Sullivans .

July has not been a good month for naval missile launches. On July 18, during an exercise off the coast of Virginia, the Arleigh Burke-class guided missile destroyer USS The Sullivans launched a Raytheon Standard Missile 2 Block IIIA anti-aircraft missile.

posted on Dec, 15 2015 @ 09:59 PM
link   
Not to bash the US but seems their having some issues with missile's too

U.S. Airstrike Kills 19 at Doctors Without Borders Hospital in Afghanistan
www.wsj.com...
edit on 15-12-2015 by all2human because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2015 @ 11:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: all2human
Not to bash the US but seems their having some issues with missile's too

U.S. Airstrike Kills 19 at Doctors Without Borders Hospital in Afghanistan
www.wsj.com...

That wasn't a test. Zaphod explained that one pretty thoroughly too. Doesn't make it ok, but there is a reason behind it.

posted on Dec, 15 2015 @ 11:15 PM
link   
No, not the same.

posted on Dec, 15 2015 @ 11:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: all2human
" It was being tested "

Not a rocket scientist here but don't missile's often fail, or for there to be an increased probability during testing phase?

They have all of Siberia a vast, open unpopulated place to test missiles and yet they were able to hit an apartment building.

posted on Dec, 16 2015 @ 12:54 AM
link   
a reply to: hutch622

Yeah, that was a pretty spectacular Standard launch. They've had a few of those that they were lucky didn't damage the ships worse.

One of the better ones was the USS Chancellorsville. They were testing against a BGM-74 target drone and it hit the ship.

posted on Dec, 16 2015 @ 12:55 AM
link   

You know, I THOUGHT that maybe it was possible to have a mature discussion about this, but apparently not.

posted on Dec, 16 2015 @ 01:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: GBP/JPY

It's about navigation control in modern tech......my heavens.....this means cover up when the rocket keepers are gonna light one off....

No injuries but the people outside sitting and watching the people and the evening twilight.......shat upon themselves when this thing big as a railroad train came slamming in the hood

I think that was the point. "Testing" in an area where the liklihood of failure will endanger the lives of the public, is retarded.

but here we are...

posted on Dec, 16 2015 @ 03:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58

You know, I THOUGHT that maybe it was possible to have a mature discussion about this, but apparently not.

It seems to be a growing trend here on ATS ( and probably other sites ) Zaph.
Threads here would be much more productive if maturity prevailed

posted on Dec, 16 2015 @ 03:57 AM
link   

Something similar happened to India not too long ago but, a guidance system failure luckily they were able to abort mid-flight.
thediplomat.com...

posted on Dec, 16 2015 @ 04:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: sosobad

Something similar happened to India not too long ago but, a guidance system failure luckily they were able to abort mid-flight.
thediplomat.com...

I think about all the air to air missiles fired over Viet Nam that were duds.. I realize stuff happens but you would think someone would have figured out how to make a missile fly to it's intended target by now. I know if they ever shot one at me it would be the one that worked flawlessly !

Glad no one was apparently hurt or killed.

posted on Dec, 16 2015 @ 04:28 AM
link   
a reply to: 727Sky

Yeah you'd think they would have it nailed by now with the amount of money all the countries throw at their military/R&D.

I know if they ever shot one at me it would be the one that worked flawlessly !

I know the feeling

edit on 16-12-2015 by sosobad because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2015 @ 07:58 AM
link   
Had this had happened in Syria people would be here crying how horrible Russia is. Hope everyone's ok.

<<   2  3 >>

join