It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wreck Of Legendary Spanish Galleon Is Finally Found, Colombia Says

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 7 2015 @ 04:52 PM
link   

More than 300 years after it sank during an attack in the Caribbean near Cartagena's coast, a Spanish treasure ship has been found, says Colombia's President Juan Manuel Santos.

Santos announced the discovery of the legendary galleon Friday night, tweeting: "Great news: we found the Galeón San José!"

The value of the San Jose's treasure — believed to include gold, silver, emeralds, and other precious cargo — has been estimated at more than $10 billion, with a range of $4-$17 billion often invoked. Much of the bullion came from mines in what is now Peru.

The discovery was made on Nov. 27, Santos said at a news conference in Cartagena Saturday. He called it "one of the biggest findings and identification of underwater heritage in the history of humanity."

At a formal announcement this morning, Santos said, "I am very pleased, as head of state, to inform you that, without a doubt, we have found, 307 years after its sinking, the galleon San Jose."

The three-decked ship was reportedly 150 feet long, with a beam of 45 feet; it was armed with 64 guns. Colombia says researchers found bronze cannons that are in good condition, along with ceramic and porcelain vases and personal weapons. The researchers say that the specifications of the cannons leave no doubt that the wreck is that of the San Jose

www.npr.org...

Klik for more ^ this is the largest find ever 10 Billion dollars in haul, Davy Jones locker is missing a few coins, not without being contested though a salvage company wants half kilk the link, they claimed they had first dibs on the find some yrs ago,if so why the heck they let it sat under disturbed ,off course someone will jump their claim, it's like a 100 dollars is laying on the ground I saw but walked off to buy a hot dog and Dick came and pick it up. is Dick's money or mine and why should he share.
edit on 7-12-2015 by Spider879 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2015 @ 05:01 PM
link   
Wish I had found that...
Good find !

posted on Dec, 7 2015 @ 05:06 PM
link   
Sorry, this has been posted already (just a few topics down from where yours stands now)

Topic

edit on 7/12/15 by Ghost147 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2015 @ 05:07 PM
link   
a reply to: Ghost147

Really?? did a search found nothing.

posted on Dec, 7 2015 @ 05:09 PM
link   
a reply to: Spider879

Yeah, ATS search sucks

I usually just end up looking in the related forum to see if it's there

posted on Dec, 7 2015 @ 05:10 PM
link   
OK mods If you please shut this down.
thanx.

posted on Dec, 7 2015 @ 05:21 PM
link   
Please contribute additional comments to previously existing thread located here.

Thank you. ;o)

Thread closed.

top topics

join