It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japanese whaling fleet sets sail

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 1 2015 @ 09:09 AM
link   
So it seems the Japanese Whaling fleet has set sail for Antarctica to conduct its "research" on up to 333 whales this season.

I heard the story on the radio this morning (BBC) some guy talking about how the Japanese people really don't care for whale meat, sells for a very low price, actually subsidized by the gov't and some gets turned into dog food.
He also claims their "research" dept. hasn't really published much as far as any discoveries from their "research".

Also the International court of justice has ruled the hunt is not research and should cease.

It is the 8000 ton processing ship Nishin-Maru along with 3 smaller harpoon ships. If anybody has watched Whale Wars we know the name Mishin-Maru.

What gets me about the whole thing is wondering what the budget is for Sea Shepard. The activist lead by Capt. Paul Watson that try to find and interrupt the whalers. I'm guessing many on board his vessels volunteer but not sure about everybody. Also fuel and food, repairs and gear. Just everyday operating costs of several vessels can't be cheap.

So I wonder why the people that put up the money to fund them couldn't just offer to pay the whalers to stay home instead? They are in it for the money only. I have no idea what kind of profits are made whaling but you'd think if the owner of the Nishin-Maru was offered a few million dollars not to risk any investment and stay in port why wouldn't they?

Or even better, covertly buy the Nishin-maru and wait until it reaches Antarctica and just turn it around.

www.bbc.com...

posted on Dec, 1 2015 @ 09:21 AM
link   
it's ok as long as they provide cheap labor...

posted on Dec, 1 2015 @ 09:27 AM
link   
a reply to: tinner07

I have a hard time with this; nope, Im not a tree hugger, it is as mentioned "inhumane and unsustainable" - Extinction is a good possibility in our lifetimes

I thought there was an International Ban on Whaling ?

here is a chart on Catches under objection or under reservation since 1985 -

CHART

posted on Dec, 1 2015 @ 09:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: ReadLeader
a reply to: tinner07

I thought there was an International Ban on Whaling ?

CHART

I believe there is a ban or moratorium on whaling for commercial purposes but apparently research is allowed, so they should just fess up and say they are searching for a fine hunk of whale steak

posted on Dec, 1 2015 @ 09:59 AM
link   
Japan, Norway, Iceland.

posted on Dec, 1 2015 @ 10:17 AM
link   
Well as the Japanese say in south park....

Serously though its barabric.

posted on Dec, 1 2015 @ 10:22 AM
link   
a reply to: crazyewok
LOL
Japan got the two atomic bombs dropped on them, whats Norway and Iceland's beef?

posted on Dec, 1 2015 @ 11:15 AM
link   
I hope they sink, but everyone escapes and is rescued in the lifeboats. In an act of God, not man made way.

And that every single time they target dolphins or whales, they sink, it costs them a fortune, but everyone gets rescued so no one dies.

But within no time, they may get that Higher Ups are saying NO!!!!

Thats the kind of cause and effect I'd like to see, where bad things are actually stopped, instead of allowed and people facing the music afterwards. Why wait till their own personal judgements to end this.

Some interference required, SOS, they're harming earth's people, ie the whales and ceteceans in this case.

Because I'm sick of it.
edit on 1-12-2015 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2015 @ 04:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lysergic
Japan, Norway, Iceland.

Yes, is not all of the surrounding water radioactive by now? I was certain Fukashima was going to just terminate all people and animals / sarc, not really

new topics

top topics

join