It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why Gun Control (Or Gun Banning) Will Never Work

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 29 2015 @ 06:18 PM
link   
a reply to: solongandgoodnight

You'll never be able to ban guns in America, it's literally impossible. Gun control is the only outlet for politicians and supporters and with each new event of innocent people dying because of guns new proposals will be announced and the political game continues.

Even with the strictest of gun laws, will that stop people from getting their hands on one? Nope. The issue isn't about guns, it's about people and with these mass shootings mental health issues seem to be the case because none of them seemed like career criminals to me.

Gangs and their shootings are another story but that's why we have police gang task forces, DEA, FBI, etc.

posted on Nov, 29 2015 @ 06:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: wildb
a reply to: intrptr

The people at the top that want guns banned know thats impossible. What they really want is to remove guns as much as possible from the hands of private citizens.

Yes until there all gone…

Thats why it won't work, you can't de-invent something.

posted on Nov, 29 2015 @ 06:52 PM
link   
a reply to: wildb

Not to derail the thread but aren't all 'rights' enacted and enforced by the government? They could take those rights away from anyone at anytime and for some demographics in U.S history they already have(e.g segregation of the Japanese into internment camps during WW2) And legally they've recently started to erode those "rights" away with the P.A.T.R.I.O.T Act. In essence they are privileges if they can be taken away by the same people who gave them to you.

posted on Nov, 29 2015 @ 07:03 PM
link   
Well, yet another thread just started for gun totin' real Am'ricans to flex their keyboard machismo?

Here, let me just get through all these for you...

From my cold dead hands!
Rural farmers!
You don't live in this country so you have no right to talk!
My gun never jumped up and shot someone!
Well then we should ban cars!
Chicago!
Obama!
Our government could be coming for us!
Japan didn't invade because of our guns!
It's a tool!
I've never shot anyone!

and lastly...

The Constitution!... that doesn't even say what we wish it did.

posted on Nov, 29 2015 @ 07:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: NateTheAnimator

Not to derail the thread but aren't all 'rights' enacted and enforced by the government? They could take those rights away from anyone at anytime and for some demographics in U.S history they already have(e.g segregation of the Japanese into internment camps during WW2) And legally they've recently started to erode those "rights" away with the P.A.T.R.I.O.T Act. In essence they are privileges if they can be taken away by the same people who gave them to you.

Kinda my point, what you say is true in part, buy why make it easier for them, not all rights come from the gov..

posted on Nov, 29 2015 @ 07:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: okrian
Well, yet another thread just started for gun totin' real Am'ricans to flex their keyboard machismo?

Here, let me just get through all these for you...

From my cold dead hands!
Rural farmers!
You don't live in this country so you have no right to talk!
My gun never jumped up and shot someone!
Well then we should ban cars!
Chicago!
Obama!
Our government could be coming for us!
Japan didn't invade because of our guns!
It's a tool!
I've never shot anyone!

and lastly...

The Constitution!... that doesn't even say what we wish it did.

Oh boy. Here we go. I haven't said any of the garbage you posted. I'm just stating the obvious about gun control laws in America.

Did you even read the post?

posted on Nov, 29 2015 @ 07:11 PM
link   
There is no gun ban or even an attempt at one as long as the manufactures are in business and cranking out 5.5 million guns a year in the US and importing another 2.84 million....thats 8.3 million guns a year. That's big business amigo....

Soon everyone will own a gun including some real bad people.

Capitalism...at it's finest.

posted on Nov, 29 2015 @ 07:11 PM
link   
a reply to: NateTheAnimator

They could take those rights away from anyone at anytime and for some demographics in U.S history they already have(e.g segregation of the Japanese into internment camps during WW2)

People like to say we are free here in the US, I like to say really, ask a Japanese American in 1942..

posted on Nov, 29 2015 @ 07:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12
There is no gun ban or even an attempt at one as long as the manufactures are in business and cranking out 5.5 million guns a year in the US and importing another 2.84 million....thats 8.3 million guns a year. That's big business amigo....

Soon everyone will own a gun including some real bad people.

Capitalism...at it's finest.

Well you know S&W stock is up 87%.. I THINK YOUR RIGHT, gun sales are at historic numbers.

posted on Nov, 29 2015 @ 07:16 PM
link   
a reply to: argentus

It seems fairly evident to me that most firearm legislation is only observed by the law-abiding citizens.

That is what I keep trying point out to the anti 2A crowd. A new law or restriction will only effect the ones who already obey the laws and those are the very ones you need not worry about. Criminals don't and will not obey new ones any more than existing ones. They are called criminals for a reason.

posted on Nov, 29 2015 @ 07:30 PM
link   

Come on man, be honest. This stuff comes out in every single one of these threads. I'm not trying to paint unjustly. We've all seen these threads hundreds of times.

But you're right, I did forget a few...

It's my god given right!
The guns are out there already!
The only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun!
Criminals don't obey the law anyway!

You know that I'm not wrong here.

posted on Nov, 29 2015 @ 07:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: okrian

Come on man, be honest. This stuff comes out in every single one of these threads. I'm not trying to paint unjustly. We've all seen these threads hundreds of times.

But you're right, I did forget a few...

It's my god given right!
The guns are out there already!
The only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun!
Criminals don't obey the law anyway!

You know that I'm not wrong here.

.......…

posted on Nov, 29 2015 @ 07:36 PM
link   

Kinda my point, what you say is true in part, buy why make it easier for them, not all rights come from the gov..

What rights are you talking about specifically? Sure not all rights are necessarily proposed by the government but those who propose it still require the authority of the government for it to be legal.

What would be making it easier for them? The U.S government is quite aware of the kind of power it wields and I don't see how a more rigorous psychological test gives them greater abuse of power. Some states already have a basic psychological screening for gun ownership as you mentioned earlier. However, the people doing these tests are not qualified in the field of psychology and neurosciences to make a judgment call on whether or not the participant taking the test is mentally fit to own a firearm.

All I'm proposing is neurologists and psychologist should be the ones making that decision. Let science decide.

posted on Nov, 29 2015 @ 07:38 PM
link   
Legislation is not the answer. You need look no further than Chicago for proof of that. Former Mayor Daley argued for years for stricter and stricter gun control laws until he finally got the votes and made Chicago a "gun free zone". The violent crime rate in Chicago we see today is a direct result of that legislation. Violent crime involving the use of firearms rose approximately 40% after that legislation was passed. The only significant drop since then was due to re-classification of some crimes to a different category.

No amount of legislation will ever solve the problem. It cant. Legislation does not work on criminals. Criminals break the law. That is why we call them criminals. If you pass a law today banning every type of weapon known to man, tomorrow there will be just as many illegal weapons on the street as there are today. Maybe even more. The reason is that the only people who will abide by that law, by definition, are the law abiding citizens. They aren't the ones who go shooting up the neighborhood. Those are the criminals. Legislation does not stop people form committing crimes. It only gives you a reason to prosecute them after the fact.

Every time a crime is committed involving a firearm there are multiple felonies committed. Unlawful use of a firearm, assault, murder, brandishing a firearm, discharging a firearm within city limits, etc, etc. All of these things, and many more, are already illegal. Yet we still have violence involving firearms. I simply can not understand why anyone would think that one more piece of legislation will make a difference. All of these crimes are already illegal. You cant make them more illegal. What good is one more piece of ineffectual legislation going to do?

We need a real solution to this problem. And we will never find it if we are continually misled with wild goose chases. Our resources are limited. We need to focus on real answers, not feel-good legislation that will accomplish nothing more than giving our elected officials a reason to pat themselves on the back and vote themselves another raise.

We have to address the real problem here which is the people who commit these crimes, not the tools they use. We will never solve this problem until we do.

When I was in high school a friend of mine was killed in Chicago by a street gang. Another teenager in Chicago was killed that same weekend. My friend was beaten to death by a street gang using baseball bats. The news said my friend was killed by a gang. Not a baseball bat, a gang. No one blamed baseball. No one said Ernie Banks was a bad role model. No one sued Louisville Slugger for not putting a warning label on the bat. My friend was dead and it was a gang that killed him. When the news reported the other teens death they said he was killed by a gun. Not a gang. A gun. That was a long time ago and the media was already focusing more on the tools than the people committing the crimes.

We do need an answer to this problem. Life has so little meaning to so many people. It is not respected, it is callously tossed aside like worthless garbage. Thrill kills, knockout games, random attacks, its sickening.

Guns have been around for a long time. This disgusting lack of respect for life is relatively new. If you want to solve this problem, you will have to address the individuals committing the crimes. There will always be a weapon someone can use if they intend to kill someone. You need to address the desire to kill or this problem will never go away.

posted on Nov, 29 2015 @ 07:46 PM
link   
although I can see how an effective gun ban (good luck on that one) could result in less shootings, well, would it really reduce the number of people killed? I kind of doubt it...
wonder how many wars were fought throughout history before guns became popular? did they still murder each other, only with different weapons? maybe we should ban all the rocks in the world while we are at it? take away the guns and well, maybe we will end up having people going into places with swords, or knives, or maybe their will graduate to bombs, who knows. but well....it won't end the violence, if will just transform it a little.

posted on Nov, 29 2015 @ 08:28 PM
link   

edit on 29-11-2015 by Motorhead because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 29 2015 @ 08:55 PM
link   
a reply to: dawnstar
You are correct, but the main point is that guns will be readily available no matter how harsh they make gun laws.

posted on Nov, 30 2015 @ 04:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: solongandgoodnight
I've pretty much stayed away from the whole gun control issue because there is so much controversy over the issue. However, I feel the need to state the obvious.

Some people say stricter gun laws will mean less shootings. Some say the answer is simply banning guns altogether. Well that's just a brilliant idea, isn't it? Come to think of it, anytime we've made stricter laws on things they've always gotten better.

What if we ban all firearms in all states!
No cops, no crooks, no military, no government goons, no one!
Penalty is immediate execution!
No exceptions!
Now, turn em in!

Once the message gets out, who will risk immediate execution?
Whoever will, will be executed soon enough, and the insanity of the gun will fade.
Military can pick them up on some island, on the way to terrorize and kill elsewhere!
If you cannot live here without a gun, either move, or buy a dildo as they are very similar in emotional function!

posted on Nov, 30 2015 @ 04:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: dawnstar
although I can see how an effective gun ban (good luck on that one) could result in less shootings, well, would it really reduce the number of people killed? I kind of doubt it...
wonder how many wars were fought throughout history before guns became popular? did they still murder each other, only with different weapons? maybe we should ban all the rocks in the world while we are at it? take away the guns and well, maybe we will end up having people going into places with swords, or knives, or maybe their will graduate to bombs, who knows. but well....it won't end the violence, if will just transform it a little.

Dear, you aren't going to go into a school or a restaurant and murder 30 people with a knife!
Yes, there will still be the insane who harm others, but we take the tools for accomplishing that in quantity out of their hands! *__-

posted on Nov, 30 2015 @ 05:06 AM
link   
a reply to: namelesss

Dear, you aren't going to go into a school or a restaurant and murder 30 people with a knife!
Yes, there will still be the insane who harm others, but we take the tools for accomplishing that in quantity out of their hands! *__-

Knife Attack

Knife Attack

Knife Attacks in SCHOOLS

Then we will find other tools. Humanity doesn't exactly get boxed in too often. Our ingenuity doesn't only surface to fix the good problems....

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join