It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Missouri Lawmaker Wants To Bar Student From Researching Abortion

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 21 2015 @ 11:43 AM
link   
This is one of the most insane things I have ever heard of in American politics. No matter how many crazy, stupid, immoral or unconstitutional acts our politicians commit they never fail to continue to outdue themselves. This story is all of the above. A politician in Missouri wants to ban college students from researching the effect of abortion laws on women. He must be a Republican because Republicans hate education, knowledge, science and freedom of belief (unless those beliefs are controlled by them). How this could be legal, let alone constitutional, is beyond me, but hopefully this won't come to pass. How insecure about your beliefs do you have to be to try to outlaw and discussion or research about your political issues? First they outlaw studying gun crime, now abortion. Why don't they just try to outlaw school alltogether?

www.onenewspage.com...

posted on Nov, 21 2015 @ 11:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: CB328
This is one of the most insane things I have ever heard of in American politics. No matter how many crazy, stupid, immoral or unconstitutional acts our politicians commit they never fail to continue to outdue themselves. This story is all of the above. A politician in Missouri wants to ban college students from researching the effect of abortion laws on women. He must be a Republican because Republicans hate education, knowledge, science and freedom of belief (unless those beliefs are controlled by them). How this could be legal, let alone constitutional, is beyond me, but hopefully this won't come to pass. How insecure about your beliefs do you have to be to try to outlaw and discussion or research about your political issues? First they outlaw studying gun crime, now abortion. Why don't they just try to outlaw school alltogether?

www.onenewspage.com...

Not much to the article. He could be a Dem, on the other hand, because he's afraid her research might show women actually begin to THINK about what they are about to do, rather than reacting emotionally to something they may regret later.

It would be informational to know what his reason was for denying her subject matter. Maybe that subject did not match what the assignment was.

Edited to add: I see there was a video, but it was blocked for me.

edit on 21-11-2015 by queenofswords because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 21 2015 @ 11:49 AM
link   
a reply to: CB328

Well in another thread a Republican suggested that he wanted to restart the Inquisition after suggesting that the government should make an agency that enforce Judaeo-Christian Values.

posted on Nov, 21 2015 @ 11:54 AM
link   
I just read a bit on a similar..has to be the same one...topic, the reasoning for baring it has to do with the individual, interviewing, and using real PPL.
If it is the same case, it has to do with doctor patient issues, not the "abortion" topic..
Would have been the same for flu shots, check up, meds etc...
But I'm often wrong.a reply to: CB328

(post by windword removed for political trolling and baiting)

posted on Nov, 21 2015 @ 12:00 PM
link   

edit on 21-11-2015 by DISRAELI because: redundant theory

posted on Nov, 21 2015 @ 12:34 PM
link   
Ya know, till we get rid of the "My political party is better than your's" or "It came from a Republican/Democrat so it must be bad" we're all screwed.
But, keep on cheering for one side and ignoring the stupid sh** both sides do. It seems to be working just fine.
For them.

posted on Nov, 21 2015 @ 12:52 PM
link   

He must be a Republican because Republicans hate education, knowledge, science and freedom of belief (unless those beliefs are controlled by them).

I can't take a your political baiting threads seriously anymore. You don't know if is a Republican, but it must be. You are a slave to partisan politics. *golf clap*

posted on Nov, 21 2015 @ 12:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

You don't know if is a Republican, but it must be.

Why wouldn't he know? His name is printed in the link.

Kurt Schaefer is a Republican member of the Missouri Senate, representing the 19th District since 2009. He is currently running against Josh Hawley for Missouri Attorney General in 2016.

posted on Nov, 21 2015 @ 12:59 PM
link   

A politician in Missouri wants to ban college students from researching the effect of abortion laws on women.

Edit:

(post redacted)

Sorry, I get it now.
edit on 21-11-2015 by intrptr because: Edit:

posted on Nov, 21 2015 @ 01:03 PM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

Students have to fight for their right to research.

Strange world.

posted on Nov, 21 2015 @ 01:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: Grimpachi

Students can research anything they want. Research usually is about assignments, resulting in papers, review, debate, in class.

No?

posted on Nov, 21 2015 @ 01:13 PM
link   
a reply to: Grimpachi

They should, but not with politicians. That should be the sole domain of the faculty advisory committee, or what ever it's called...

That can be tough enough, since faculty committees are also politicized. Student shouldn't have to deal with outside agitators as well.

posted on Nov, 21 2015 @ 01:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

originally posted by: Grimpachi

Students can research anything they want. Research usually is about assignments, resulting in papers, review, debate, in class.

No?

No? Is it?

Because a state senator is trying to make it law so that students CAN NOT research the things they want.

Do you think this thread is about some other issue?

posted on Nov, 21 2015 @ 01:35 PM
link   

Because a state senator is trying to make it law so that students CAN NOT research the things they want.

Edit: They don't want recruiting to go on on campus for Planned Parenthood, apparently. Is that the real issue here?

Backing away from this one…
edit on 21-11-2015 by intrptr because: Edit:

posted on Nov, 21 2015 @ 01:51 PM
link   
A student is trying to research the impact of a law that was passed by the state legislature.

The senator is trying to place a ban on such research.

How does researching the impact of legislation get equated to recruiting for PP?

posted on Nov, 21 2015 @ 01:56 PM
link   

How does researching the impact of legislation get equated to recruiting for PP?

Covered in the video in the OP…

I started commenting before I watched it, thats why I redacted my posts, I was presumptive, sorry.

posted on Nov, 21 2015 @ 01:58 PM
link   

No problem.

posted on Nov, 21 2015 @ 07:38 PM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

Kurt Schaefer
Attorney
Kurt Schaefer is a Republican member of the Missouri Senate, representing the 19th District since 2009. He is currently running against Josh Hawley for Missouri Attorney General in 2016.

Wikipedia Kurt Schaefer

But, what were you saying, Metallicus?

P.S. Oh. nm, then. I see others have provided you the evidence already.

anyway - I'll just go back to reading. Sorry for the interruption.

edit on 11/21/2015 by BuzzyWigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 21 2015 @ 07:46 PM
link   

These days, however, a private individual can research whatever the hell they want to! Doesn't require the approval of the university, or the employer, or some "senator" or "priest" or whomever to give a person "permission" to 'investigate for themselv......'

oh, wait.

edit on 11/21/2015 by BuzzyWigs because: (no reason given)

top topics

join