It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Terrorist Redflag: Wristwatches!!!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 4 2005 @ 08:03 PM
link   
What time is it?

If this isnt propostrous. Stand back folks, we've closed Kennedy Airport due to a passenger said to be wearing a wristwatch....

I'm sure some of you will think this is obviously a huge risk.

What next, ; Ladies, take off your bras please, no underwires allowed!!!!!

posted on Jan, 4 2005 @ 08:06 PM
link   
In all fairness, this thread should include the part about the wristwatches also being a lighter or have an altimeter

www.msnbc.msn.com...

An advisory issued Monday by the Department of Homeland Security and the FBI urges the Transportation Security Administration to have airport screeners keep an eye out for wristwatches containing cigarette lighters or altimeters.

posted on Jan, 4 2005 @ 08:12 PM
link   
In all fairness, yes. And they will still be looking at all wristwatches in order to catch suspicious ones, think? Really, its not so much the inconvenience of removing the watch, its the fact that daily we are being stripped of our freedoms, one way or another.

[edit on 4-1-2005 by dgtempe]

posted on Jan, 4 2005 @ 08:15 PM
link   
Not sure what the problem is, a lighter sure but an Altimeter? I personaly have a Casio Pro-Tek with an Altimeter, Barometer, Thermometer and Digital Compass in-built and im sure thousands of people World Wide do. The article mentioned that Terrorists were using watches with Altimeters in built in conjunction with explosives but im not sure how that would work when the Watch is on your Wrist and has no means of communication to another device without Infa-Red or Bluetooth.

[edit on 4-1-2005 by Janus]

posted on Jan, 4 2005 @ 08:16 PM
link   
Isn't this ridiculous; especially the altimeters. Tell me, dont altimeters just measure air pressure, and if so wouldn't the air pressure inside a pressurized airplane be close to that of sea level??

posted on Jan, 4 2005 @ 08:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by dgtempe
In all fairness, yes. And they will still be looking at all wristwatches in order to catch suspicious ones, think? Really, its not so much the inconvenience of removing the watch, its the fact that daily we are being stripped of our freedoms, one way or another.

[edit on 4-1-2005 by dgtempe]

So you would rather get on a plane not knowing who/what is on board, than waiting a few extra minutes, because they take the time to examine a watch that could be used as an explosive device.

What if someone gets on board with a laptop and GPS, and starts using it mid flight? Would you get worried?

Freedoms? What freedoms have you lost? You are still flying to your destination aren't you?
You may not be aware of this, but the US was one of the last countries, that started patting down people before they get on an airplane.
I was being patted down when I was 12.
Were you sat in a room and interogatted as to why you are flying to where ever you are going? Imagine the delay then....it happens..in a lot of countries...
The only thing you really have lost, is the time it took you to get from the security checkpoint, to your seat.

posted on Jan, 4 2005 @ 08:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by ben91069
Isn't this ridiculous; especially the altimeters. Tell me, dont altimeters just measure air pressure, and if so wouldn't the air pressure inside a pressurized airplane be close to that of sea level??

Yep, i think so. So unless a Terrorist stuck his arm out the Window at 30,000 feet his watch wouldnt know how high up it was.
But then if he managed to stick his arm out the window at 30,000 feet he wouldnt need a bomb ... go figure. *shrug*

[edit on 4-1-2005 by Janus]

posted on Jan, 4 2005 @ 08:22 PM
link   
I tell you this is getting ridiculous.

As my husband was getting ready to take another trip this week, he was completely unsure what to take with him as not to be targeted by the security in the airport, and having to miss his flight.

He is so tired of all the airport BS, that on his trips to Washington he rather flight to Richmond and rents a car to DC.

He said the airports in the capitol are just a hazard to fight into.

The last time he was in Washington his belt buckle made the alarm go on and he had to strip.

He said he will never go through that again.

posted on Jan, 4 2005 @ 08:30 PM
link   
Netstorm:

Just so you know, i lived my childhood in a dictatorship. I know what it is to be stripped of all your posessions, dignity and freedom.

posted on Jan, 4 2005 @ 08:30 PM
link   
Coming through Newark, NJ I set the alarms off because I had some small change in my pockets !

I understand the necessity of checking for weapons, but if they haven't banned lighters, what the point in whinging on about wristwatches with lighters built in ?

On a lighter (no pun intended) note - when I flew to the US in 2003 from Birmingham, UK the security guard asked to see my shoes. I handed them to him and you could see he really was not enamoured with them. After all ... there's a terrible smell in Dingley Dell, 'cause the pixies are washing their socks ... and I'd been wearing the same pair for about 10 hours

[edit on 4-1-2005 by Pisky]

posted on Jan, 4 2005 @ 08:33 PM
link   
Serves them right, Pisky.

At what point is enough, enough???

posted on Jan, 4 2005 @ 08:39 PM
link   

Just so you know, i lived my childhood in a dictatorship. I know what it is to be stripped of all your posessions, dignity and freedom.

Dare I be so forward as to ask which country this was ?

posted on Jan, 4 2005 @ 08:40 PM
link   

Serves them right, Pisky.

At what point is enough, enough???

Thats a good question, and here is my theory on it.

We don't know whats next. It's that simple. Will it be a plane, a train, that tanker truck on RT 66 That lady with the stroller down by the airport bar.... So in a effort to cover all bases, they are doing everything that they can think of to look for and prevent problems.

Until they can come up with a non invasive, 100 percent correct way of telling who has what in the way of weapons, then they will have to rely on the methods they have now.

posted on Jan, 4 2005 @ 08:42 PM
link   
Man whenever I go flying and have to put all my stuff in that little box through the Idiot box (X-ray machine) I have to take my watches off (yes i have one on each arm (Casio Cockpit and a Camera watch) take my phones out (4 - Sony Ericsson P910i, Sony Ericsson Z200, Sony Ericsson T68mi and Nokia 5510), take out my GBA (im a kid at heart) and remove the battery from my laptop.

Now, would I look suspicous in a line? I would think so, more so than a guy with a single watch.

P.S. I once got a 5.56 round, F88 Styr 30 round magazine (empty), military clasp knife (with razor edge and shank) through Sydney International Airport in late 2002 when 'security' was at an alltime high.

posted on Jan, 4 2005 @ 08:52 PM
link   
Ok i can go with the lighter but a altimeter come on.. sounds stupid but whatever goes goes i guess...

I remmber when i was aloud on a plane with a metal security enforcment officer badge those were the days...

Also you guys and gals who have stomach problems on the plane i ADVISE you to take those rolaids out of your pocket when heading for the metal detectors cause it WILL set it off because of the tin foil... just a little tip

And ladies some of your shoes have metal in them (ex: high heels) those will set it off as well but we must know this by now...

[edit on 4-1-2005 by ShadowMan]

top topics

join