It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US House of Reps votes to suspend Syrian/Iraqi refugee program

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 19 2015 @ 03:42 PM
link   
Well the first shot has rung out: the House just voted to suspend the refugee program until stricter vetting measures can be put into place. This should set up an interesting showdown between the President and Congress, assuming the Senate follows suit.

The bill would then go to the President's desk, and the White House has already come out and said they would veto any legislation like this.

In what seems like a bit of (read: huge) a reach to me, the current bill would require the directors of DHS, FBI, and the DNI to personally sign off on each and every refugee.

news.yahoo.com...

posted on Nov, 19 2015 @ 03:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Shamrock6

eek, well they went through the trouble of making the legislation, knowing that POTUS said he would veto

This is how politics works... and one side isn't going to get what they want. (typically BOTH sides in situations like this though)

posted on Nov, 19 2015 @ 03:53 PM
link   

They know Obama will veto and Congress won't have enough votes to over-ride his veto so... they are just pandering and trying to add something they can use as fodder against any Democrats running for Congress next go around.

posted on Nov, 19 2015 @ 03:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kali74

They know Obama will veto and Congress won't have enough votes to over-ride his veto so... they are just pandering and trying to add something they can use as fodder against any Democrats running for Congress next go around.

I'm not exactly sure what the vote was, but I think I heard a news pundit report that the House passed it with enough votes to override a veto.

That's not to say those Democrats who voted in favor of it now will remain steadfast if Obama vetoes it, hopefully they won't.

Now let's see what the Senate does.

posted on Nov, 19 2015 @ 04:02 PM
link   

It will likely get vetoed if it actually makes it to Obama.

While I think the refugees should get vetted thoroughly (just common sense really), I think this is just pandering on the republicans part....trying to get on the good side of voters who are in fear right now.

Just my opinion.

posted on Nov, 19 2015 @ 04:04 PM
link   

Lol, both of our posts are basically saying the same thing. Guess I should have read replies before I put my 2 cents into the pile.

posted on Nov, 19 2015 @ 04:13 PM
link   
America home of the Brave.....O wait no....Fearfull.

posted on Nov, 19 2015 @ 04:26 PM
link   
a reply to: crazyewok

Don't worry. We know you compassionate Brits will take more of them to make for it......

posted on Nov, 19 2015 @ 04:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: nwtrucker

Don't worry. We know you compassionate Brits will take more of them to make for it......

Long as they are vetted then sure.

Least we dont cower in fear at some child refugees.
edit on 19-11-2015 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2015 @ 04:30 PM
link   

So I guess in this instance, France has more balls than the U.S. by increasing the number of refugees they are taking in.

posted on Nov, 19 2015 @ 04:32 PM
link   
Well, turns out there's hope after all.

I just heard Harry Reid say "don't worry, this bill won't get passed" and I'd just bet he knows what he's talking about.

edit on 19-11-2015 by Flatfish because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2015 @ 04:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: crazyewok
America home of the Brave.....O wait no....Fearfull.

Protecting yourself from something that has the potential to cause you harm is not a fearful act. In a lot of cases it is quite prudent.

Most people are amendable to accepting refugees and asylum seekers. They just want some kind of proof that they are who they say they are. Even natural American citizens have to show proof of identification in most government and state buildings and many other businesses.

I know your stance on this and I am not trying to change your mind, but would you not agree that caution and fear are not necessarily the same thing?

posted on Nov, 19 2015 @ 04:34 PM
link   

It will work too. Most Americans don't want these people here.

posted on Nov, 19 2015 @ 04:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Kali74

Except they got enough votes from the Dems that the president can't veto it

Congress will have the say

posted on Nov, 19 2015 @ 04:37 PM
link   

Yeah saw all those child refugees going to Germany and other parts

So many children and women it was crazy.....

Oh wait. Huh I see threads on ATS as well pondering why they were mostly men? Odd

posted on Nov, 19 2015 @ 04:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: ManBehindTheMask

Except they got enough votes from the Dems that the president can't veto it

Congress will have the say

The President sure as hell can veto it and then Congress has to take another vote to override the veto.

This vote was just for "show."

The real vote won't even happen unless this gets through the Senate and delivered to the President's desk.

Furthermore, if the POTUS lives up to his promise to veto the bill, I'd just bet that a significant number of House Democrats change their position on the next vote.
edit on 19-11-2015 by Flatfish because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2015 @ 04:57 PM
link   
1) ISIS directly stated through their coms that they would USE the refugee crisis to hide operatives and get them into other nations

2) The Syrian Crisis is relatively new. The uprising of "ISIS" is relatively new also, their power only increased within the last YEAR.
New laws for new circumstances, only exacerbated by what happened in Paris. This is not just people picking on Syrians

I actually think all refugees from Saudi Arabia, Syria, Belgium, and Iraq should be halted, since ISIS has stepped up it's importation and infiltration.

Again, this is a NEW dynamic...hence the new laws.
edit on 998pm3004America/Chicago011CST04America/Chicago by BatheInTheFountain because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2015 @ 05:04 PM
link   
Just one more way the government shows there uselessness and ignorant s there fools if they think isis isn't already here.

posted on Nov, 19 2015 @ 05:48 PM
link   

Oh wait. Huh I see threads on ATS as well pondering why they were mostly men? Odd

Yeah well the UK isnt Germany.

Germany are idiots.

It one thing to only take the needy and vunrable that have been vetted and another to go full retard like Germany and sweden and open your borders. Thankfully the UK is a Island and it will protect us as useal from German stupidity.

posted on Nov, 19 2015 @ 05:57 PM
link   

Yeah well the UK isnt Germany.

Germany are idiots.

It one thing to only take the needy and vunrable that have been vetted and another to go full retard like Germany and sweden and open your borders. Thankfully the UK is a Island and it will protect us as useal from German stupidity.

If we start finding shipments of floaties and water-wings in Syria, we'll know you Brits are screwed

top topics

<<   2 >>

join