It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What can I do for you? What can I learn from you?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 16 2015 @ 12:55 PM
link   
There have been a lot of strong emotions posted on ATS over the last few days and I thought it might be nice to mix it up with something positive I have applied in my daily life. I realize I come across as a jerk sometimes and when I say jerk I am using the T&C friendly version of what most of you probably would really say. That being said, I don't conduct my daily life or encounters with you humans the same way I do online (for the most part). This doesn't mean I won't speak up or challenge people's views in my RL, but I do it with a sparkle in my eye and a mischievous smile so most people know I am not doing it in a mean spirited way (which doesn't always translate online).

Okay, so I have acquired a few tools that I keep in my life-skills toolbox over the years and one of them that has always served me well is to ask a very simple question internally for each new daily encounter...especially with new people. The question(s) are...what can I do for you? What can I learn from you?

The question is part intent, part prayer and part an exercise in focus. I apply it to the random person I meet on my daily walks and to the girl in the checkout line at Walgreens. The point is it takes these ordinary moments and 'spiritualizes' them and allows whatever force it is you believe in (God, Spaghetti Monsters, The Force) and creates a perfect moment for something positive to happen.

An example is the other day I was walking and I saw a troubled woman approaching and she and I talked for a few moments. She mentioned her garage door had broken and it wasn't in the budget for her to get a new one before the winter snows started. Because I had opened myself up to whatever Spirit had in store for me I was able to give her a brand new garage door opener that I had sitting in my garage that I had no use for.

Another example is when you meet someone that simply has something to teach you about life. Sometimes our job is just be quiet and listen and learn from what the other person is saying.

Anyway, I know things seem bleak sometimes and certainly the stress levels are high right now, but I think if you apply this little trick to your daily life you will have amazing results. I believe it is karma and Spirit working hand in hand to create real moments between us humans, but you can call it whatever you like. The point is it WILL improve your life.

So...what can I do for you? What can I learn from you? I eagerly await your response.

edit on 2015/11/16 by Metallicus because: Spelling Correction

posted on Nov, 16 2015 @ 01:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

You already did something for me, you made me smile with this train of thought!
I can share with you that snow takes on a magical sparkle after the temperature falls below 10f. Even on the coldest of days there is a beauty to life if we choose to see it.

Have a wonderful day!

edit on 16-11-2015 by woodsmom because: Typo

edit on 16-11-2015 by woodsmom because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 16 2015 @ 01:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: woodsmom

You already did something for me, you made me smile with this train of thought!
I can share with you that snow take on a magical sparkle after the temperature falls below 10f. Even on the coldest of days there is a beauty to life if we chose to see it.

Have a wonderful day!

That's awesome!

I love snow and cold weather. Now I can look for that twinkle this year...thank you!

posted on Nov, 16 2015 @ 01:10 PM
link   

You can do something for me Metallicus!
You can tell me where you got that awesome avatar which has me portrayed on it playing my heavy metal music.

Cheers
arit

posted on Nov, 16 2015 @ 01:13 PM
link   
If you wouldn't mind, you could feed squirrels for me.

I developed a nut allergy but I soldiered on for months putting out peanuts for my little friends. Sadly, I've had to stop. So perhaps your local squirrels could gain some benefit instead?

What could you learn? Well, just observing squirrels teaches you a lot

edit on 16-11-2015 by berenike because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 16 2015 @ 01:13 PM
link   
Very noble intentions, and I appreciate them in spite of feeling almost an all time low every time I open ATS.
So since I think I cannot teach you anything, at least not right now, let's see about the help.

When the world seems upside down, when what is black seems white and what is white seems black, when everybody seems to go the opposite direction and I'm tired to swim upstream, yeah I think this is the right thing to ask:

Please...
"...grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference."

Is a big thing to ask so I'll understand if you will be unable to help

Be well

edit on 16-11-2015 by WhiteHat because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 16 2015 @ 01:47 PM
link   

If our past history is any indication; perhaps I'll just keep my mouth shut.

posted on Nov, 16 2015 @ 01:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12

If our past history is any indication; perhaps I'll just keep my mouth shut.

Well, I like you so too late!

posted on Nov, 16 2015 @ 03:04 PM
link   

S&F for a much needed calmer thread! There is so much going on these days, with so much tension, we all could use a break. You don't seem like a jerk to me, typically. You have strong opinions, but so do many of us, and you do seem to try and be civil. In RL, of course, I suspect many are different than they might be online. Doing something nice for someone is a good plan, too. What if we all got [out of bed, planning to look for whatever good deeds we could do? The world would be the paradise God wanted for us! We can't make that, but we can brighten a small corner.

You already did something; you brought a needed smile! Now, what can I do in return?

posted on Nov, 16 2015 @ 03:12 PM
link   
a reply to: LadyGreenEyes

You already made me feel good by not agreeing with me that I am a jerk, lol. Seriously, though, all we can do is try to brighten our little corner of the world so I would suggest you try to do that today. Hopefully we can provide the world with some much needed happiness and peace through our actions today.

posted on Nov, 16 2015 @ 04:58 PM
link   

Well what I can do for you? Hmmm I have quite a few trade qualifications so I could offer you advice on just about anything that is mechanical, construction based, or to do with trouble shooting things and fixing them.lol.

Kind thoughts and warm smiles for a stranger is all I would like from you, more of that would make my day.

Cheers!

posted on Nov, 16 2015 @ 07:45 PM
link   

On a day like today, online is about all I can manage. Apparently, it's testy teen day here, for one of them!

At least we can smile here, though.

posted on Nov, 17 2015 @ 05:05 AM
link   

Asking the "What can I learn from you? ' question is very wise. It requires a non -confrontational , positive approach to our relationships with other.

This in turn creates the emotional state for asking the other question

thank you, S&F for you

new topics

top topics

join