It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UN examines Australia's forced sterilisation of women with disabilities.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 12 2015 @ 03:26 PM
link   
www.theguardian.com...

The United Nations has raised concerns Australia is breaching the human rights of women with disabilities by allowing their forced sterilisation.

Australia’s human rights record is being assessed by the UN human rights council before the universal periodic review and the sterilisation of women with disabilities was raised in its session in Geneva.

Does that mean Saudi Arabia will be checking out this transgression?

Anyways...

Carolyn Frohmader, CEO of Women with Disabilities Australia, said Australia does not have any laws in place to prohibit the forced sterilisation of women with disabilities, or children, and it falls under the UN definition of torture.

WWDA believes no child should be sterilised at all as they cannot give proper consent because of their status as minors.

Well, this is a pretty heinous practice being carried out.

Sterilise the disabled?
Hitler, anyone?

+4 more 
posted on Nov, 12 2015 @ 03:37 PM
link   
Do you think that people who are disabled who can't take care of themselves should take care of kids?

posted on Nov, 12 2015 @ 03:37 PM
link   
How are they measuring disability ? For example, I have a limp but was the 2nd fastest over the school obstacle course.

posted on Nov, 12 2015 @ 03:41 PM
link   
You know. My mother knew a family who had a disabled daughter. As the two parents aged, they knew their daughter, who couldn't even hardly recognize them much of the time, would have to go into a home for the rest of her life once they were no longer able to care for her.

They searched long and hard to find a doctor who would sterilize her. The parents' reasoning was that with a daughter who couldn't even recognize her own parents, the last thing that should have to happen to her was to have to carry a child and give birth to it. She would not comprehend what was happening to her and it would be extremely frightening and traumatizing for all involved.

And they knew that while they could protect her from anything happening to her, they could not guarantee that in the future.

Are they monsters for making that decision?

posted on Nov, 12 2015 @ 03:46 PM
link   
I'd read about this a bit ago and the poor woman could never give consent and given she's in such a state having to do such basic hygiene once a month or more is demeaning to her in a way, as much as i also hate to say it sexual assaults against such people are common meaning she's not capable of defending herself and also bearing kids

It's a moral nightmare and in one way its torture as she can never give permission but in another way its release from possibly a life of pain and discomfort along with the pain of giving birth.

This isn't some normal girl so as far as i can see they did the right thing but I'm sure its not an easy decision to make

posted on Nov, 12 2015 @ 03:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: NobodyIsBad
Do you think that people who are disabled who can't take care of themselves should take care of kids?

So you didn't read the link then.

Figures.

She said most girls who are sterilised have an intellectual disability and cited the example of a 39-year-old woman who is part of WWDA who was sterilised when she was seven years old because she had a vision impairment.

The woman is “desperate for a child” and has explored adoption and surrogacy.

“We’ve got a long way to go, at the end of the day is not about how it’s done, how it’s regulated, it’s about the fact it’s an egregious human rights violation and it is recognised as a form of torture, there is no excuse for torture so there is no argument [for the forced sterilisation of women with disabilities],” Frohmader said.

Sickos.

posted on Nov, 12 2015 @ 04:00 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

As monstrous as abortionists.

posted on Nov, 12 2015 @ 04:07 PM
link   
a reply to: CharlieSpeirs
OMG, I had no idea things like this were happening in 'Western, civilized'( cough...cough ) nations.

Like you Charlie, silly me figured this practice ended with the Third Reich.

To borrow from Kangaruex4Ewe.....WTF???

posted on Nov, 12 2015 @ 04:11 PM
link   
I feel there is a HUGE difference between a heart wrenching loving family decision and a State mandated decision.

State mandated eugenics is ripe for horrors.

posted on Nov, 12 2015 @ 04:24 PM
link   
a reply to: stosh64

Like you Charlie, silly me figured this practice ended with the Third Reich.

Fraid not.

Over 8,000 sterilizations were approved by the Eugenics Board of North Carolina. The total number of victims actually sterilized is estimated to have been over 7,600 (Winston-Salem, “Lifting the Curtain on a Shameful Era”). Of this number, females represented approx. 85% of those sterilized (State Library, “Statistics,” p. 1). By the late 1960s, the sterilization of men was virtually halted, as women made up 99% of those sterilized (Sinderbrand, p. 1). African Americans represent 39% of those sterilized overall; by the later 1960s, they made up 60% of those sterilized, even though they made up only a quarter of the population (Sinderbrand, p. 1). Of those sterilized up to 1963, 25% were considered mentally ill and 70% were considered mentally deficient. In each of these categories, females account for over 75% of the sterilizations. North Carolina ranked third in the United States for the total number of people sterilized.

Eugenics in North Carolina

posted on Nov, 12 2015 @ 04:36 PM
link   
a reply to: Klassified
I have to begrudgingly thank you for the information. I was not aware.

I hate to admit it but sometimes ignorance is bliss. I don't enjoy many of the rabbit holes I find myself in.

However, having the choice I would still choose to know the truth.

Thanks for the eye opener.

posted on Nov, 12 2015 @ 04:39 PM
link   
a reply to: uktorah

It will be mental capacity.
We have to give mental capacity tests to see what the person understands about sex and relationships, it is very tricky because we want all our guys to have relationships but we have to keep both parties safe from each other I suppose.
I had one guy whom we had sorted out a few dates with another service user and he rang her manager up and said "right I will be coming around tonight get her ready for sex"...he doesn't have the capacity to understand what an actual relationship is...
Now forced sterilizations are not common in the UK but they do happen.
I don't know If guys in AUS have advocates and people speaking for them but here it would be the decision of advocates family members and clinical staff.

posted on Nov, 12 2015 @ 04:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: stosh64
a reply to: Klassified
I have to begrudgingly thank you for the information. I was not aware.

I hate to admit it but sometimes ignorance is bliss. I don't enjoy many of the rabbit holes I find myself in.

However, having the choice I would still choose to know the truth.

Thanks for the eye opener.

I wasn't thrilled when I found out either. It's one of those "What has been seen, can't be unseen" moments. I don't think governments need to be making decisions on who needs to be sterilized. Our own history is evidence of that fact, sadly. Australia needs to take a few lessons from history. Once we decide it's ok to sterilize one group, other groups just keep getting added.

posted on Nov, 12 2015 @ 05:55 PM
link   

Do you think that people who are not disabled who can't take care of themselves should take care of kids ?

Zieg fricking Heil!! Or are you God?

P.S.
We have laws to protect children we absolutely do not pre-judge in a free world.....unless you are God, or a Dictator.
edit on 12/11/2015 by yorkshirelad because: P.s.

posted on Nov, 12 2015 @ 06:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: CharlieSpeirs

Except that no one dies.

I agree it is horrible, but there is a big difference.

posted on Nov, 12 2015 @ 06:16 PM
link   
Children? There is no mention of children from legitimate sources.

There were apparently 47 SEVERELY Disabled people officially sterilized in Oz between 2004 and 2014.

Just to mention, for comparison purposes only, there were 1.5 MILLION people murdered in Iraq by the Cough Cough Civilized country of USA, during it ILLEGAL invasion, looking for Weapons of Mass Destruction.

But anyway, let look at 47 Severely disabled people.

You can guarantee, without a doubt, that the Parents and Family of these people Had the UTMOST concern and hope for the future and love for their "Child" as any other parent on the Planet......well good parent.
You will find, some of these disabled people, have old and elderly parents, who have devoted their lives to caring for their disabled child right into mid adulthood, saving the community from the burden. Often these parent have given their lives to these children.
With that mindset, considering that your own child has not really enjoyed a "Full" life, would you burden that child (or adult who is a child) with the pain, emotion, hurt, confusion etc etc, with the possibility of being assaulted by anyone in the future, and going through the whole "Baby Process"?

There is no "FORCED" sterilization in Australia...unlike many many other countries (or Honour killings or killing because of wrong sex etc etc).

The Parents of these severley disable, probably love their children MORE than many "Ordinary" parents....

posted on Nov, 12 2015 @ 06:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: CharlieSpeirs

What would you do? If you have such a child and know she will never, ever be competent to make her own decisions or even comprehend the most basic of things because even an infant can recognize its parents, she could not.

This is worse than an infant being made to give birth in some ways.

It's not a decision I would leave to government, and I know it was not an easy choice for the parents, and certainly not one they even thought about making until they realized their child was going to be left to government if that gives you clue of what they thought of the capacity of government to care for their child.

posted on Nov, 12 2015 @ 07:02 PM
link   

We let crack heads and complete morons breed...why not people with disabilities? I'm not saying they wouldn't have issues raising their children, but then again maybe they would raise some pretty amazing people.

Who the hell is the state to decide who procreates and who doesn't?

If people with disabilities are forced into sterilization so should criminals, drug abusers, alcoholics, chronic gamblers, cigarette smokers, etc. I mean, they have disabilities, they aren't plagued with abhorrent behaviors.

Also, what the hell are the chances these people would even a) have the cognitive development to engage in sexual activity and b) procreate at such rates it becomes a burden to society?

posted on Nov, 12 2015 @ 07:14 PM
link   
There's an enormous difference between someone who's deaf, blind, wheelchair-bound, amputee, etc and someone so profoundly disabled they barely comprehend being alive. You can definitely work with being a deaf, blind, paralyzed, amputee, etc parent.
If a mental handicap is so bad that you basically just exist here as flesh, or so severely physically disabled that you cannot do one single act of self-care and must rely on others for it, then it's a matter of you & your doctor coming to a conclusion that suits you, or your caregivers doing so. Outright forcing sterilization without consideration is unacceptable.
edit on 11/12/2015 by Nyiah because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 12 2015 @ 07:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: gort51
Children? There is no mention of children from legitimate sources.

There were apparently 47 SEVERELY Disabled people officially sterilized in Oz between 2004 and 2014.

Just to mention, for comparison purposes only, there were 1.5 MILLION people murdered in Iraq by the Cough Cough Civilized country of USA, during it ILLEGAL invasion, looking for Weapons of Mass Destruction.

But anyway, let look at 47 Severely disabled people.

You can guarantee, without a doubt, that the Parents and Family of these people Had the UTMOST concern and hope for the future and love for their "Child" as any other parent on the Planet......well good parent.
You will find, some of these disabled people, have old and elderly parents, who have devoted their lives to caring for their disabled child right into mid adulthood, saving the community from the burden. Often these parent have given their lives to these children.
With that mindset, considering that your own child has not really enjoyed a "Full" life, would you burden that child (or adult who is a child) with the pain, emotion, hurt, confusion etc etc, with the possibility of being assaulted by anyone in the future, and going through the whole "Baby Process"?

There is no "FORCED" sterilization in Australia...unlike many many other countries (or Honour killings or killing because of wrong sex etc etc).

The Parents of these severley disable, probably love their children MORE than many "Ordinary" parents....

Parents making those decisions is still forced in one way or another.

And what exactly is a "full life"? Do you know the meaning of life? I assume the meaning of life is to live. If you do anything beyond that, well good for you. But it most certainly isn't a requirement of a "full life". Whatever that may be.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join