It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

#ConcernedStudent1950 vs the media

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 10 2015 @ 01:56 PM
link   

WHAT IS HAPPENING!!! Didn't the BLM use this tactic before and it backfired terribly? What are they trying to accomplish with censuring?

Missouri college, home of one of the premiere Journalism schools is attempting to censure...the media. This HuffPo article sums up some of the Protests.

What's Going On With The Protests At The University Of Missouri?

Student protests over racial incidents at the University of Missouri escalated over the weekend when at least 30 black football players announced they will not participate in team activities until the university system's president is removed...

"The athletes of color on the University of Missouri football team truly believe 'Injustice Anywhere is a threat to Justice Everywhere,'" the players said in a statement. "We will no longer participate in any football related activities until President Tim Wolfe resigns or is removed due to his negligence toward marginalized students' experience. WE ARE UNITED!!!!!"

Wouldn't you want the media there to help get your message out?

edit to add:

Missouri is has the #1 journalism school in America according to a 2014 poll. Survey: The Top 20 Journalism Schools 2014

The School of Journalism at the University of Missouri at Columbia was once again far and away the No. 1 choice as the top J-school in the country in the annual NewsPro-RTDNA Top Journalism Schools poll of news professionals. Missouri handily claimed the top spot in the 2014 survey, trailed by second-place University of Georgia’s Grady College of Journalism and third-place Northwestern University's Medill School of Journalism, Media, Integrated Marketing Communications. - See more at: www.rtdna.org...

him?
edit on 10-11-2015 by TheAmazingYeti because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 10 2015 @ 01:58 PM
link   

(post by TheAmazingYeti removed for a manners violation)

posted on Nov, 10 2015 @ 02:05 PM
link   
a reply to: TheAmazingYeti

This might help to explain it?

posted on Nov, 10 2015 @ 02:05 PM
link   

Ah, that's better...don't mention it, my pleasure

posted on Nov, 10 2015 @ 02:38 PM
link   

I watched the video. All I can say is that this generation of "college" students is the worst example of loser posers I've ever seen in my life. Even their "protests" are faux protests and its quite obvious they don't even know what they're protesting for, what they're protesting against and who they think the "enemy" is, as if there was one. Its utterly ludicrous.

Putin and/or the Chinese will make short shrift of this lot!

posted on Nov, 10 2015 @ 02:46 PM
link   
This is what you get when entities like the CFR control what the curriculum is.

They get their propaganda preached and the masses get brain washed into accepting their slavery from a very early age.

Who needs TPTB censoring the media THEY own when you get young brains of mush attempting to do the job for them.

posted on Nov, 10 2015 @ 03:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheAmazingYeti

WHAT IS HAPPENING!!! Didn't the BLM use this tactic before and it backfired terribly? What are they trying to accomplish with censuring?

Missouri college, home of one of the premiere Journalism schools is attempting to censure...the media. This HuffPo article sums up some of the Protests.

What's Going On With The Protests At The University Of Missouri?

Student protests over racial incidents at the University of Missouri escalated over the weekend when at least 30 black football players announced they will not participate in team activities until the university system's president is removed...

"The athletes of color on the University of Missouri football team truly believe 'Injustice Anywhere is a threat to Justice Everywhere,'" the players said in a statement. "We will no longer participate in any football related activities until President Tim Wolfe resigns or is removed due to his negligence toward marginalized students' experience. WE ARE UNITED!!!!!"

Wouldn't you want the media there to help get your message out?

edit to add:

Missouri is has the #1 journalism school in America according to a 2014 poll. Survey: The Top 20 Journalism Schools 2014

The School of Journalism at the University of Missouri at Columbia was once again far and away the No. 1 choice as the top J-school in the country in the annual NewsPro-RTDNA Top Journalism Schools poll of news professionals. Missouri handily claimed the top spot in the 2014 survey, trailed by second-place University of Georgia’s Grady College of Journalism and third-place Northwestern University's Medill School of Journalism, Media, Integrated Marketing Communications. - See more at: www.rtdna.org...

him?

Students can protest. The can say the want Tim Wolfe to resign. Team players can sit out games in protest.

But WTF did I just see where this poor guy with a camera was bullied to death? It is his right to take pictures, not their right to keep pushing on him and say 'I am walking". They have to walk around him if they want to walk.

You are so right, if this is a premiere journalism school, concernedstudent1950 and the other 'respect space' people just do not understand ...well much of anything. I just wanted to slap several of those people complaining at the guy with the camera. And then some other woman calls for 'muscle' when another journalsist shows up?

These students set back a lot of what they even want,,the right to protest and the right to speak and the right to report about 100 years.
edit on 10-11-2015 by reldra because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 10 2015 @ 03:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: stosh64
This is what you get when entities like the CFR control what the curriculum is.

They get their propaganda preached and the masses get brain washed into accepting their slavery from a very early age.

Who needs TPTB censoring the media THEY own when you get young brains of mush attempting to do the job for them.

No, these particular students are just entitled and unthinking brats. I know all students aren't like that.

posted on Nov, 10 2015 @ 03:12 PM
link   
You want the best part? One of the MU journalism professors was out there shoving press around along with the students.

"Here kids, this is what the press in our NWO will look like!"

I had to be very pragmatic about my college choice, so I've been trying hard to keep my mind open for the eventual day my son has to start shopping. But I have to say both Mizzou and Yale have bumped themselves right off my list. No way my money goes to either one.

posted on Nov, 10 2015 @ 03:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: seeker1963

That is a well-done video. Good actors, good storyline. However, real liberals don;t do that. Real conservative evangelicals do have their own version of that.

For the students in the OP video, it matches though

posted on Nov, 10 2015 @ 03:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
You want the best part? One of the MU journalism professors was out there shoving press around along with the students.

"Here kids, this is what the press in our NWO will look like!"

I had to be very pragmatic about my college choice, so I've been trying hard to keep my mind open for the eventual day my son has to start shopping. But I have to say both Mizzou and Yale have bumped themselves right off my list. No way my money goes to either one.

For both universities, I think there is hope to turn around what happened to a vocal minority of students. Academia often goes into discussions that are not 'real world friendly'. A lot of Philosophy isn't. But you are right in noting these 2 recent instances as a step in a very bad direction.

posted on Nov, 10 2015 @ 03:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: TonyS

I watched the video. All I can say is that this generation of "college" students is the worst example of loser posers I've ever seen in my life. Even their "protests" are faux protests and its quite obvious they don't even know what they're protesting for, what they're protesting against and who they think the "enemy" is, as if there was one. Its utterly ludicrous.

This is not an entire generation. We have seen 2 universities with vocal students acting like idiots. I hope these students will learn that their actions were wrong and infantile. There must have been adult employees that let them feel they were acting correctly.

posted on Nov, 10 2015 @ 03:28 PM
link   
a reply to: reldra

No, no, that's MU and Yale to a T, and those are hardly evangelical schools. In fact, they are bastions of modern liberal intellectualism.

posted on Nov, 10 2015 @ 03:30 PM
link   

Yes, but Philosophy classes are places to explore ideas on discussion, even transgressive ones. The only problems in philosophy are when the instructor is unwilling to hear out all angles on the idea.

posted on Nov, 10 2015 @ 03:34 PM
link   

No, no, that's MU and Yale to a T, and those are hardly evangelical schools. In fact, they are bastions of modern liberal intellectualism.

I was only talking about that classroom movie. No, that isn't any reality to a 'T' as it is over the top to prove a point.

posted on Nov, 10 2015 @ 03:40 PM
link   

Yes, but Philosophy classes are places to explore ideas on discussion, even transgressive ones. The only problems in philosophy are when the instructor is unwilling to hear out all angles on the idea.

Yes. And all angles are usually asked for. A common assignment in Philosophy 101 is 'prove or disprove the existence of God'. In many classes..philosophical, gender related, film...a whole spectrum...leads to discussions that I believe some of which should not step into real world practice. The loud students at Yale and Mizzou seem to have done that. I also think that a teacher may have led them to believe that was OK.

I don't think it is a widespread agenda of brainwashing, though.

They became confused in regard to what the law is and what might make them slightly uncomfortable or irritated. Then they became irrationally irritated and uncomfortable.
edit on 10-11-2015 by reldra because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 10 2015 @ 03:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: seeker1963

Surprisingly accurate.

posted on Nov, 10 2015 @ 04:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: TonyS

dont really see how anyone can mock the protests (their reasons may or may not be legitimate.... from what ive seen they were at least to an extent)
but the methods are beyond reproach
they were effective

your methods have to match whatever frame work you are working in and they did that
methods that had been used in the past would have been put down with extreme prejudice and the students probably would not have gotten what they wanted
edit on 10-11-2015 by fartlordsupreme because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 10 2015 @ 04:39 PM
link   
From the article at The New York Times:

As the video nears its end, the person taking the video, Mark Schierbecker, emerged from the scrum and approached a woman, later identified as an assistant professor of mass media, Melissa Click, close to the tents. When he revealed that he was a journalist, Ms. Click appeared to grab at his camera.

She then yelled, “Who wants to help me get this reporter out of here? I need some muscle over here.”

At another point in the video, Mr. Tai was also challenged by a university employee. Janna Basler, the director of Greek life and leadership on campus, approached Mr. Tai and, spreading her arms out, demanded that he “back off.”

As he tried to defend his right to be there, Ms. Basler explained, “You are infringing on what they need right now, which is to be alone.”

Ms. Basler and Ms. Click could not be reached for comment.

I just caught something about this video on CNN a few minutes ago. She's actually an assistant professor teaching mass media in the communications department and has a courtesy appointment at the school of journalism (which is completely separate from communications). The dean and faculty at the school of journalism are apparently reviewing Ms. Click's courtesy appointment because the other faculty members didn't appreciate her anti-First Amendment shenanigans.

Personally, I really hope they can her. Not only did her actions fly in the face of what a person in her position SHOULD stand for, she was also escalating the situation and inciting what could very well have turned into a physical altercation.

Ms. Click's page at Mizzou

As a progressive liberal, I find scenes like this and the recent meltdown of whiny infantile Yale students deeply disturbing and I wonder how much of it can be attributed to the likes of Ms. Click who have taken legitimate ideals of tolerance and equality and contorted them into perverse mockeries of social justice. In their zeal to affirm their own moral superiority to themselves and to demonstrate it to their peers by creating ever more unpragmatic and self-defeating tactics, opinions, jargon, etc, they've completely lost touch with what 'the struggle' is about.

Barking commands? Shouting for students to use force to deny another student his civil liberty? That's not progress. Those aren't the words or actions of anyone truly concerned with positive change in society — that's a would-be despot exercising her tiny bit of authority in an attempt to oppress others.
edit on 2015-11-10 by theantediluvian because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join