It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

23 and me...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 6 2015 @ 09:43 PM
link   
There is a company called "23 and me" that offers:

Journey through your DNA.

Understand what your DNA says about your health, traits and ancestry
Share and compare with tools to engage family and friends
Receive ongoing reports as new genetic discoveries are made and as we are able to clear new reports through the FDA

They offer a host of services via reports:

Carrier Status
Ancestry
Wellness
Traits

Interactive tools to share, compare, and discover with friends and family
The opportunity to participate in a new kind of research
Ongoing reports through the FDA as technology advances

And I wonder who is in charge of this huge database of DNA samples...oh yeah...the FDA.

posted on Nov, 6 2015 @ 10:05 PM
link   
I got mine done through ancestry and downloaded the info into livewello and prometheus so I could check out what information I could gain from it. Now, why would you worry about the government having your DNA if you didn't do anything wrong or have anything to hide.

I don't plan on robbing anyone or killing anyone.

If the FDA is in charge of it, well, they seem to be good at screwing up or misplacing things so I think it would be safe.
edit on 6-11-2015 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 6 2015 @ 10:12 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

Now, why would you worry about the government having your DNA if you didn't do anything wrong or have anything to hide.

Good God Man, haven't you been watching all these clone movies !

Heck even here on ATS we had our full disclosure about needing to have your identical clone at the end of the universe in order to be able to talk at FTL speeds.

Clones I tell you , CLONES!!!!!!!!!!!!!

edit on 581130America/ChicagoFri, 06 Nov 2015 22:58:22 -0600000000p3042 by interupt42 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 6 2015 @ 10:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse
I got mine done through ancestry and downloaded the info into livewello and prometheus so I could check out what information I could gain from it. Now, why would you worry about the government having your DNA if you didn't do anything wrong or have anything to hide.

If the FDA is in charge of it, well, they seem to be good at screwing up or misplacing things so I think it would be safe.

OK, here is one possibility... Suppose one day someone in government decides you are a trouble maker. They want you to go away. You dont have to commit the crime. They have your DNA already. And guess what they find at the crime scene?
edit on 6-11-2015 by Vroomfondel because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 7 2015 @ 12:10 AM
link   
a reply to: Vroomfondel

If they were just framing people at random, they already have plenty of peoples' DNA information. If they were specifically targeting someone, they could attain that person's DNA by countless other means. I wouldn't worry about it.

posted on Nov, 7 2015 @ 02:10 AM
link   
If it were somehow anonymous it would be a great idea because I like the basic idea of the service provided, but there is no way any sane person should give any branch of the Fed's their DNA. You can practically guarantee it will be abused.

posted on Nov, 7 2015 @ 02:57 AM
link   
Can I just get my ENTIRE genome decoded into 1's and 0's and etched into a crystal, and shot into space? Is that to much to ask for?!

Maybe someday an alien species will find my genome and reconstitute me.

Who knows, they may take one look at the DNA and decide they better not...

posted on Nov, 7 2015 @ 03:05 AM
link   
My aunt on my mother's side got one of these done, so I didn't bother getting one done for myself. I already know exactly what my father's ancestry is, but there was some uncertainty on my mother's side, so my aunt volunteered to have it done. Turns out that side has a fairly large percentage of Native American blood, which we always suspected because I (and some others in my family) are kind of dark.

TL;DR - If you want to know your ancestry just wait for someone else in your family to take the test so you don't end up in a database LOL.

posted on Nov, 7 2015 @ 03:06 AM
link   
Is this available in Australia? cause im a 37 year old male who still doesn't who the heck he is...

posted on Nov, 7 2015 @ 03:45 AM
link   
a reply to: Vroomfondel

The reports they are referring to are not your DNA specifically, as in the FDA is holding your DNA info. They are talking about the FDA clearing them to do certain types of reports which tell you what your DNA profile means.

23andme got smacked by the FDA a couple years ago because they were telling people about their genes. You get a raw data report that lists what your SNP's are (selective nucleotide polymorphisms), then 23andme would give you a report on how that has potential health effects on you.

For instance MTHFR is a very common (set of) snp that about 50% of the population has. These bundles of code are responsible for your ability to methylate, which is one of the basic processes of your cellular physiology. At a more macro level it means you cannot transfer Folic Acid into Folate. Folate is the active form that your body uses.

The reports that are referred to would tell you about the SNP and then give you information how to change the expression of your genes. So in the above example it might say take active forms of folate 4 or 5MTH Folate, eat lots of green leafy veggies etc. It would also give info about what types of health issues can arise from having the MTHFR gene SNP.

When the FDA smacked them, they took away their ability to interpret the tests. They allowed them to still give the raw data, but the interpretation was left to 3rd party companies to give their report.

The clearing of new tests by the FDA is about them being able to mine the data and produce more useful information to help doctors and researchers.

posted on Nov, 7 2015 @ 10:43 AM
link   
a reply to: zardust

Understood, and agreed.

However, there is still a database with tons of DNA on alot of people and I have to believe it will be abused in some way sooner or later. I would not willingly provide that data to anyone any more than I would provide my ssn.

posted on Nov, 8 2015 @ 09:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: interupt42
a reply to: rickymouse

Now, why would you worry about the government having your DNA if you didn't do anything wrong or have anything to hide.

Good God Man, haven't you been watching all these clone movies !

Heck even here on ATS we had our full disclosure about needing to have your identical clone at the end of the universe in order to be able to talk at FTL speeds.

Clones I tell you , CLONES!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Clone me? Maybe clown would be a better word.

posted on Nov, 8 2015 @ 09:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: Vroomfondel

originally posted by: rickymouse

OK, here is one possibility... Suppose one day someone in government decides you are a trouble maker. They want you to go away. You dont have to commit the crime. They have your DNA already. And guess what they find at the crime scene?

I'm really not that important to worry about that. People seem not to see me, like I am invisible. I get ignored most of the time. If they are going to set someone up they might need to consider someone who actually has a little power and people listen to. I can't even get my kids or cats to listen to me. I seem to have better luck with bugs paying attention to me.

posted on Nov, 8 2015 @ 10:38 PM
link   
a reply to: zardust

That info about 23 and Me sounds more like personal opinion, do you have any evidence to support this is the reason the FDA took action against them? I was under the impression the FDA got involved because 23 and Me was offering something that was considered a "medical device":

used to diagnose, prevent, or treat disease or other conditions, and does not achieve its purposes through chemical action within or on the body (which would make it a drug)

The tests weren't FDA approved medical devices, and therefore the FDA asked them to stop. I haven't seen any indication that these DNA companies are "mining" or somehow colluding with the government to steal your DNA.

posted on Nov, 9 2015 @ 05:09 AM
link   
a reply to: MystikMushroom

They were giving medical advice basically, it wasn't the device, but the advice (used to diagnose). Nothing was wrong with the actual DNA test, or giving the raw data to the customer. It was them interpreting what the test meant that they had to stop doing.

I'm not saying they were colluding with the government.

posted on Dec, 8 2015 @ 10:41 AM
link   
Nice, it will be possible to create your own copy.
Please support my project - BathMate
Thank you!

new topics

top topics

join