It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Final drive...

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 4 2015 @ 10:04 PM
link   
Tomorrow for my big furry buddy, and I.

Brodie is my sisters big, big dog. He's an Australian shepherd mixed with something really, really big.

We've been friends since the moment we met, some twelve years ago, though it seems like just yesterday. Maybe it was. He was a rescue who'd been abused to within an inch of his life--and didn't really trust anyone...except me. We took to each other instantly.

I was living with my sister sometime later and I'd come home from work, and my sister told me he'd perk up his ears a good three or four minutes before I'd pull into the drive-way, then would amble over to the door to wait for me. He was there waiting every morning when I'd get home. Without fail.

Sometimes he'd have nightmares, flashing back to those bastards who had him before, and I'd have a lap full of shaking, shivering dog. 100 plus pounds of frightened dog. He'd just huddle in my lap for a few minutes, then like nothing happened go about his business.

As he grew older, his hearing failed, he no longer hears my car pull up. His eye sight is almost as bad. ...and the senility has reduced him to a caricature of what he once was. But he still loves putting his head in my lap, he's there as I type this, to get the special spot between his eyes rubbed. Though it's a little tear soaked tonight...

Tomorrow morning I'm going to take him for a drive. He's in so much pain. His dignity, which means so much to him, is all but gone.

We really hoped he'd just fall to sleep one night, and join with the angels. But his heart just won't let go. So I'm going to help him on that first step along that rainbow bridge I know is waiting for him to cross.

One last drive. Some more scratches on that special spot between the eyes, and he'll leave me...for now.

This time tomorrow night another star will be shining down from Gods firmament, that'll be Brodie. He won't be a tripping hazard late at night anymore. The floor won't creak underpaw anymore while he's trying so hard to be sneaky, so he can steal my sammich.

Those things I'll miss, but most of all, I'll miss that huge head in my lap waiting for scratches, or his ears rubbed. Or a hug when I need it. ...and I'll need it desperately tomorrow night, and it won't be there. The living room will be safer, but so very empty. The floor won't creak, but it'll be a silence that screams to be filled.

Oh, Brodie, my furry friend. Pain's sucrease is only hours away. One day, we'll meet again, and that special spot will be rubbed by me again.

I hope God is a sharing sort, 'cause if he leaves his milk out, Brodie will help himself. ...and sammiches. He loves sammiches.

posted on Nov, 4 2015 @ 10:08 PM
link   
I'm crying now. Thanks Obama.

God bless you both, buddy.

posted on Nov, 4 2015 @ 10:12 PM
link   
Truly man's best friend.

He might only be here for a part of your life but for him, you are his whole life

Condolences.

posted on Nov, 4 2015 @ 10:25 PM
link   
Sorry for your loss... I recently had to give up my furry family, and know how it is.

Stay strong tomorrow.

posted on Nov, 4 2015 @ 10:27 PM
link   
a reply to: seagull

I have no idea who you are but I know exactly how you are feeling. I've had to take that car ride exactly two times over the years.

There is absolutely NOTHING that I or anyone can say that will make you feel any better... other than (hopefully) you knowing that others have been there.

It is a horrible thing to go through but I will tell you the few things that helped me...

I constantly reminded myself (and still do to this day) that it is better for me to say goodbye and miss them, than it would be the other way around (because I wouldn't want them to miss me and suffer the way I miss them).

Great... now I'm on the verge of tears too...

Dogs live shorter lives than people because it doesn't take them as long to learn how to be angels. You KNOW that Brodie has a fast track to angel-ness.

For my part, both my dogs lived very VERY long lives and at first I questioned whether or not I was making the right decision.... but ultimately I realized we did the right thing. We had the chance to say our goodbyes and we were able to be there when they left and ascended to heaven. Keep in mind, Brodie will not have any ailments anymore. Also, Brodie knows (KNOWS) that you did everything you could for him. I can only tell you that you will be reunited again.

Although I didn't fully comprehend what he said, a priest once explained to me that time in Heaven isn't the same as time on Earth. We ALL reach Heaven at the same moment. You will miss Brodie, but when you see him next, he wouldn't of had the chance to miss you.

I'm very sorry for your loss but please know the memories will never EVER fade.

P.S. - Consider keeping a lock of hair. It helped me tremendously.

edit on 4-11-2015 by eluryh22 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 4 2015 @ 10:39 PM
link   
This is the part I don't like about the pet forum, when these post come up

Sorry for your loss, may Brodie R.I.P.

Ugh who is cutting onions?!

posted on Nov, 4 2015 @ 10:42 PM
link   
So sorry to hear, regards and peace for him finally. Sometimes the creaking of the floor may be him, and the warmth of his doggy hugs and being nearby reminding you that he still watches over.
edit on 4-11-2015 by dreamingawake because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 4 2015 @ 10:53 PM
link   
May god bless you and your little buddy. I feel immensely for you. Losing ones dog is like losing a little brother/son. Mine was fourteen when he went. I know it will be hard. One day, you will be together again.

posted on Nov, 4 2015 @ 11:00 PM
link   
My prayers are with you both. It's such a hard time.
For me the hardest part was making the decision---knowing that it must be made. Knowing that it was within my power to bring needed relief.
Just know that there is a whole fur family waiting on the other side to welcome him.

posted on Nov, 4 2015 @ 11:16 PM
link   
You are doing the right thing! One of the hardest things to ever have to do, but you must have the courage to release your friend.

It's a pity really that we can't do this for our human loved ones, when the time is obviously here. Not in Australia anyway.

You made me cry for 5 straight minutes, and my throat closed up so tight it hurt. Also brought back all the raw memories of having to do the same for my fur-child. Godspeed to Brodie, heaven awaits!

posted on Nov, 4 2015 @ 11:16 PM
link   

That was deep, man. My heart goes out to you and your big buddy. Just remember that you've enriched his life just as much as he has yours.

posted on Nov, 4 2015 @ 11:30 PM
link   

Too hard to read. But I did. You are Brodie's best friend and the truth in this is what you walk with him tomorrow. There is nothing harder but more loving than this. I'll be saying prayer that Brodie's journey is one of love and peace. For both of you. Tomorrow as he passes over and meets all on the other side and relishes in his new pain free body know that he carries all the love and more for you that he always has and he will be waiting on the other side for when it is your time. You two will meet again. Hugs Seagull.

posted on Nov, 5 2015 @ 12:06 AM
link   
I could say what I've already said, but I won't. I'll just toss out a few more thoughts and prayers for you and Brodie. I firmly believe that our fur children have souls and they go where we do when we take our leave of this life.

He'll be waiting for you on the other side and it will only feel to him like he's been waiting but a short while for you. He will be there with the others that have taken that last ride before him and their wait will have felt the same.

You are making the greatest sacrifice that we can for them and that is why you were chosen for him.

We are with you.

posted on Nov, 5 2015 @ 12:14 AM
link   

Its a tough gig thats for sure . Our beloved Max the cocker spaniel was booked for that last drive but he tricked us . My wife tells me (i was asleep) that he walked into every family room and stood for a minute or so then curled up next to my bed and passed away . Simple as that , said his goodbyes and left us . A good thing really as i am not sure i could have started the car for that last drive . Stay strong .

posted on Nov, 5 2015 @ 12:39 AM
link   
Oh my heart goes out to you... Have a read through this, it might remind you of a few things you might want to do before the final drive.
(prepare tissues!)

posted on Nov, 5 2015 @ 12:53 AM
link   
a reply to: Qumulys

Thats it , i am not coming back to this thread . Once again , stay strong Seagull.

posted on Nov, 5 2015 @ 12:53 AM
link   
Oh man, enjoy that ride with him Seagull.

Several years ago we had an old girl. Lucy. An old golden lab, loved to swim and swim and swim. She'd sneak up behind me swimming in the river here, brush my side an veer away.
Lucy love to go in the truck. She loved to go. When she knew we were getting ready to leave she would hover near the door and wait patiently. She'd jump in the back seat and off we'd go to some new adventure.

As her health failed and the medicines we were helping her along with no longer helped her, we decided to take her out for her last drive. She hobbled up into the back seatm barely able to lift her nose to the window. We used the last of her medicine to put her to sleep which she did. We got her home and buried her in the hole already dug. Out in her yard.

We call that last ride, the Doggie Death Drive.

Peace Seagull, and good cheer.
edit on 30America/ChicagoThu, 05 Nov 2015 00:55:54 -0600Thu, 05 Nov 2015 00:55:54 -060015112015-11-05T00:55:54-06:001200000055 by TerryMcGuire because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 5 2015 @ 01:18 AM
link   
Wishing all of you the best. Sometimes doing the right and loving thing hurts like crazy. I hope you can find some solace in giving him this last gift, and that's what it really is.

posted on Nov, 5 2015 @ 02:12 AM
link   
Just a little after midnite here.

Brodie is asleep in his spot, right in front of the front door. Curled into his little Brodie-ball, as we call it. Amazing how such a big dog can turn into such a small ball.

I made a sandwich tonight, and for an instant or two, Brodie was back... Sneakily sneaking into my room to see if he could steal it... It just happened to be turkey, his favorite.

I was "guarding" it...but he was so sneaky. Ask him, he'll tell you. So clever. He got that sammich with no one the wiser. I, of course, "blamed" the cats. That's who it must have been, right?

posted on Nov, 5 2015 @ 06:49 AM
link   

I understand your pain, I had to take that same drive 2 years ago with my Golden Retriever Ginger. It really tugs away at your heart. My kids pretty much grew up with the old girl so you can just imagine how hard they took her passing.

My condolences to you, it's tough to lose a furry friend who gives you unconditional love.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join