It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What's everyone doing bonfire night?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 2 2015 @ 03:37 PM
link   
Hi I'm SKurtle, hope you're doing good. What's everyone doing for bonfire night??

edit on 2-11-2015 by SKurtle because: (no reason given)

I do not care about bonfire night, or any commercial holiday whatsoever.

Or non commercial ones for that matter

posted on Nov, 2 2015 @ 03:52 PM
link   
What is bonfire night?

posted on Nov, 2 2015 @ 03:59 PM
link   
It's a night we have in Britain where we start fires and launch fireworks, we do it every year on the 5th of November to celebrate a man name Guy Fawkes, who tried to blow up the houses of parliament. I have no idea why we celebrate this, but it's also referred to as Guy Fawkes night a reply to: Night Star

posted on Nov, 2 2015 @ 04:01 PM
link   
a reply to: SKurtle

Lol ur bonfires are terrible more like campfires...

posted on Nov, 2 2015 @ 04:01 PM
link   

We don't celebrate that in the US. We don't celebrate anyone that goes against our government. Too dangerous.

posted on Nov, 2 2015 @ 04:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: SKurtle
Hi I'm SKurtle, hope you're doing good. What's everyone doing for bonfire night??

what bonfire night ? (ahhhh, that has been answered meanwhile)

this one? if not, it was a good search experience!

if it is indeed the 5th nov. you mention then i shall be taking a good friend of mine to hospital to get the results of tests that needed be done two weeks ago.

so you inspired me to light a bonfire after returning home, either way a good fire heals the soul.

also, on the 5th im expecting the first print of a new booklet of poems i wrote for my beloved - another good reason for a bonfire.

and what are you up to on bonfire night ?

edit on 2-11-2015 by Sanssouci because: ahhhh.......

posted on Nov, 2 2015 @ 04:04 PM
link   
Haha why do you say? What constitutes a good bonfire? a reply to: robbeh

posted on Nov, 2 2015 @ 04:04 PM
link   
"No idea why"?? We are supposed to be celebrating the fact that he failed, and celebrating the fact that our liberties have not been overthrown and subjected to the domination of the Pope.
In earlier centuries the Pope would have been up there on the bonfire along with Guy.

posted on Nov, 2 2015 @ 04:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: SKurtle
It's a night we have in Britain where we start fires and launch fireworks, we do it every year on the 5th of November to celebrate a man name Guy Fawkes, who tried to blow up the houses of parliament. I have no idea why we celebrate this, but it's also referred to as Guy Fawkes night a reply to: Night Star

We don't celebrate Guy Fawkes, we celebrate the fact he didn't blow up parliament on the day the King was re-opening it. It was a catholic conspiracy and Guy Fawkes is definitely the villain and it is very much traditional to throw the Guy on the bonfires built all around the country.

We are Legion and all that!!

posted on Nov, 2 2015 @ 04:11 PM
link   
That's the one! It's a bit of an illogical idea and no one, at least that I know, cares about Guy Fawkes lol. Probably why we just call it bonfire night. Here in England it's always cold, but I bet it's nice on a cool night, chilling with a beer in front of a big fire...
Will prolly just watch peoples firework displays out my window... Told cold for that here haha
reply to: Sanssouci

posted on Nov, 2 2015 @ 04:12 PM
link   
Of course the commercial parties have shifted the date to the nearest weekend, so I had banging to the west on Saturday night, and a further bout to the north only an hour or so ago.
I shall be letting off a couple on my own, if the air is not too damp for the matches, because the day is also the anniversary of my purchase of this house and my arrival with the keys.

Last year was the tenth anniversary, so I wanted to let off ten rockets.
I tried the supermarket; "We can sell you a packet of 5 for £5, or a packet of 7 for £10".
That seemed obvious enough; "Two of the £5 packets, please".
"Oh, we've only got one left."
So I had to buy one of each, though I reckon they were probably lying. What an absurd price structure.

edit on 2-11-2015 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 2 2015 @ 04:12 PM
link   
Haha I live here and have heard the story once Lol

People just like loud noises a reply to: DISRAELI

edit on 2-11-2015 by SKurtle because: Punctuation

posted on Nov, 2 2015 @ 04:14 PM
link   
Lmao typical supermarket ish, have you seen firework displays in the US? Now they're something else... a reply to: DISRAELI

posted on Nov, 2 2015 @ 04:16 PM
link   
Has nobody else ever tried to do it?

Seems random, to google I go a reply to: DISRAELI

posted on Nov, 2 2015 @ 04:17 PM
link   
Yes, but they have them in the summer, when the evenings are not really dark enough.
We can appreciate them better in November.

posted on Nov, 2 2015 @ 04:26 PM
link   
Maybe, I just mean the actual fireworks are immense xD we just have colourful pops haha, tbf I'm referring to Disney world fl, which I'm sure is special anyway haha reply to: DISRAELI

posted on Nov, 2 2015 @ 04:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: Night Star
What is bonfire night?

It is an English custom where people have a communal fire outdoors and fireworks. They traditionally threw an effigy of a man called Guido Fawkes onto the fire. He was a Frenchman Catholic terrorist who was in league with the Pope and attempted to blow up the English Houses of Parliament in London. That was called the Gunpowder Plot. The plot was discovered with the barrels of gunpowder under the Parliament in the nick of time and he was hung, drawn and quartered as the mastermind for his crime:

en.wikipedia.org...

"Its history begins with the events of 5 November 1605, when Guy Fawkes, a member of the Gunpowder Plot, was arrested while guarding explosives the plotters had placed beneath the House of Lords. Celebrating the fact that King James I had survived the attempt on his life, people lit bonfires around London, and months later the introduction of the Observance of 5th November Act enforced an annual public day of thanksgiving for the plot's failure."

It relates to the Catholic Church and English Protestantism being at enmity with each other after Henry VIII pulled out of Catholicism originated The Church of England. Also, James had translated the Bible into English. There were assassinations relating to translators up until that point because the Catholic Church wanted it to only be in Latin so they could exercise exclusive control of Scripture; Church wars Dear Nightstar.

Other countries have fire celebrations, too. I think they are a bit of an atavism to the pagan New Year associated with Hallowe'en. it has a huge similarity to the Burning Man, Wicker Man or John Barleycorn. Originally this would have been a real human sacrifice of the peasant who is made King for a year and then burned as a sacrifice at the end of his year's reign as sympathetic to the sun's yearly cycle.

I do not celebrate it or Hallowe'en. I don't celebrate Christmas either nor any marking of days and seasons including my birthday. Certainly burning any kind of effigy on a fire is not my thing at all. I find it very barbaric as a custom and do not participate.
edit on 2-11-2015 by Revolution9 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 2 2015 @ 04:33 PM
link   

Google 12th July belfast ul see proper bonfires lol

posted on Nov, 2 2015 @ 04:35 PM
link   
You really ought to read up on the story, it's quite dramatic.
Do you know how the plot was dicovered? One of the plotters sent an anonymous letter to a Catholic member of the House of Lords, warning him to stay away. "They shall receive a terrible blow, this parliament, and yet they shall not see what hurts them". He showed the letter to the authorities, they thought over what it might mean, and decided that a thorough search of the cellars might be a good idea. It was Guy's bad luck that he was giving the barrels a last-minute check just at the time when the guards came onto the scene. Oops.

edit on 2-11-2015 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 2 2015 @ 04:36 PM
link   
Wow..... Point taken xD a reply to: robbeh

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join