It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Hampshire Opens Birth Certificates to Adoptees

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 3 2005 @ 08:15 PM
link   
New Hamshire just joined five other states in granting access to birth records.What were once protected records are now finding their way through court legislation, into the hands of people adopted as children.

CONCORD, N.H. (Jan. 3) - In a bittersweet moment, a half-dozen adults adopted as children lined up Monday to take advantage of a new state law to get copies of their birth certificates. Among them: a state lawmaker who was herself adopted.

aolsvc.news.aol.com...

I wonder how much influence the state lawmaker had to do with this passing! I don't think people should have the right to access birth records, except in the case of severe and rare health problems. The people who gave up these children have rights too and they are being violated!

posted on Jan, 3 2005 @ 08:43 PM
link   
Well,i was adopted and i feel that i have EVERY RIGHT to know anything that may pertain to me in official documents,and i feel i have the right to look at my birth certificate.how can you come on here and say that adopted people dont have the right to know who were their parents??????
SHAME ON YOU!!!

Edited for spelling.

[edit on 3-1-2005 by Samhain]

posted on Jan, 3 2005 @ 08:52 PM
link   
I think when it comes to adoption laws, there are usually very good reasons why the parents of the children they gave up for adoption don't want to be found! That is why the courts in the past went to so much trouble to seal these records.I am sorry for your pain, but I do think there are very sound reasons to keep these sealed!

posted on Jan, 3 2005 @ 09:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by jeeze louise
I think when it comes to adoption laws, there are usually very good reasons why the parents of the children they gave up for adoption don't want to be found! That is why the courts in the past went to so much trouble to seal these records.I am sorry for your pain, but I do think there are very sound reasons to keep these sealed!

The reason why adoption records were sealed was for two reasons,to prevent the parents who gave up the baby the shame of everyone knowing that they gave up their child,and to shield the families of the newly adopted child from having to disclose whether or not said child was theirs ,or,so that they never HAVE to tell the child they were adopted.
Which in either case,TRAMPLES on the rights of the person who was adopted,seeing as they will one day grow up and begin to search for closure.
The state does NOT have the right to keep personal information that pertains to you from you.
Not to mention,the families of the adopted child who werent very happy that their sister or niece or daughter etc... gave up their baby to strangers,More often than not,the families of the adopted child want to know them as much as the child does.
I understand that this isnt an easy subject,but the rights of the adoptee must one day come to bear there full weight.and the parents of the adoptee have to deal with this.and why shouldnt they,their child is!!!

top topics

join