It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russian civilian aircraft goes off radar, reportedly crashes over Egypt

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 31 2015 @ 06:59 PM
link   
Next News Network
This video and its sources but two and two together linking Senator John McCain recent call for US Stinger missiles be sent "to shoot down those planes."

I think we have the answer today.
edit on 31-10-2015 by Granite because: corrected link

posted on Oct, 31 2015 @ 07:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Granite

A Stinger wouldn't have gotten anywhere near the plane.

posted on Oct, 31 2015 @ 07:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58

A Stinger wouldn't have gotten anywhere near the plane.

Wiki says range is 5 miles.

posted on Oct, 31 2015 @ 07:18 PM
link   
This is sadly just another accident. Russia's does not have a good record in air craft safety. Lax maintenance seems to plague both Russian civilian and military aircraft. If ISIS had the capability to shoot down planes they would be doing in the Russian air corridors in Syria or Iraq.

posted on Oct, 31 2015 @ 07:29 PM
link   

Even IF a Stinger could reach 31,000 feet, which it can't, there isn't a shoulder fired missile in the world that could have destroyed a plane that size without the crew getting off a radio call. Certainly not the Stinger, which has, even for a MANPADS, a small warhead.

posted on Oct, 31 2015 @ 07:31 PM
link   
Perhaps this was a bomb planted on board?

posted on Oct, 31 2015 @ 07:34 PM
link   
a reply to: dianajune

It's a possibility. The wreckage looks odd though. Almost as if they were in a spin when they hit the ground.
edit on 10/31/2015 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 31 2015 @ 07:50 PM
link   
Just before takeoff one of the pilots complained about the condition of the aircraft.

news.yahoo.com...

posted on Oct, 31 2015 @ 07:54 PM
link   
a reply to: absente

Thoughts and prayers out to all the families effected. Hopefully it wasn't a terrorist attack.

posted on Oct, 31 2015 @ 08:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bone75
Why can't planes be designed to break into sections where the fuselage doubles as a capsule that parachutes safely to the ground in the event of an imminent crash?

Whilst a very sensible idea, what additional weight would this add to an aircraft? It's not just the parachutes, it will also have to include the mechanisms involved in releasing the parachutes.

I don't know how much it would all weigh, but can you ever see airlines sacrificing seats for parachutes?

Me neither.

posted on Oct, 31 2015 @ 09:07 PM
link   
Uh oh... Dont EGYPT use the SU-25 too? (yes i know i know it cant get that high and thats the joke) SO it looks like it went into a spin huh? Hydraulic airlerone locked up on one side i bet. OR th e taileron got stuck. Or engine failure on one side causing a flat spin?(thanks top gun)

posted on Oct, 31 2015 @ 09:36 PM
link   
The Debka article is intresting to say the least.

DEBKAfile early Saturday attributed the disaster to the ISIS Sinai branch Ansar al-Bait Maqdis, while Moscow and Cairo issued confusing claims as to its cause. They included a distress call from the pilot of the Russian plane to the Egyptian control following a technical fault with a request to reroute the plan to El Arish or Cairo.
However, aviation sources say this exchange never took place and the Airbus abruptly disappeared off the screens indicating a sudden catastrophe.
The Egyptian daily Al-Ahram Arabic quoted the head of Egypt’s Air Navigation as admitting later that the plane’s pilot did not request an emergency landing before crashing.

So in their opinion there was no distress call nor request to change path.

Moscow is reluctant to admit that the Islamic State may have chosen to retaliate for the buildup of Russian forces in Syria and Russia ari strikes on its bases in Syria.
If the airline was indeed shot down by the Sinai branch of the Islamic State, the Russians are finding that ISIS is fully capable of striking at the least expected place and most vulnerable spot of its enemy.

Putin's coverup would definetly make sense. EDIT: Egypt would have all the reasons to not destroy their tourism by admitting ISIS is able to shoot down civilian planes.

It is to this stronghold that DEBKAfile reported in recent months that ISIS sent officers, former senior members of Saddam Hussein’s army, to set up a major campaign against the Egyptian army, along with advanced anti-air missile systems smuggled into Sinai and the Gaza Strip from Libya for this campaign.
Israel air force jets no longer carry out low flights in the areas within range of the Islamic groups armed with these missiles.
All the terrorists had to do was to lay a missile ambush for the plane from the Jabal Halal eminence of 876 meters (2,865 ft).

It's amazing how the Mossad is much more informative than both western and eastern media. I start to think that it may really have been ISIS, ie their friends and funders.
edit on 31 10 2015 by Mastronaut because: suckage

edit on 31 10 2015 by Mastronaut because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 31 2015 @ 09:43 PM
link   
Not enough information has been released to do anything other than purely guess at this point. Planes crash for a myriad of reasons. Could be a host of things. And without trying to be controversial, some countries have a better air-safety record than others.
While I certainly wouldn't rule out terrorism at this point given the location and timing, I also think ISIS would publicly claim they backed into my truck in the parking lot last week without leaving their contact or insurance information -- or that they left gum on the sidewalk if it would get them airtime or notoriety in the West or at home. So I await a little more information before jumping on that bandwagon.

posted on Oct, 31 2015 @ 09:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Mastronaut

If it was shot down the debris field would have been bigger. This debris field was small indicating it was largely intact until just before impact. A missile that could have brought it down that fast would have cause pieces to separate.

Debka would blame Iran for the sun coming up tomorrow.

posted on Oct, 31 2015 @ 10:02 PM
link   

Israel may be right. If the video Isis released is real then there claim of responsibility could be true. And everyone should worry a terrorist group has the ability to shoot down aircraft at 30000 ft.
www.dailymail.co.uk...

posted on Oct, 31 2015 @ 10:05 PM
link   
a reply to: dragonridr

It would be a hell of a coincidence if the pilot complained about the aircraft being in poor condition and then they were hit by a missile.

posted on Oct, 31 2015 @ 10:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: dianajune
Perhaps this was a bomb planted on board?

One source I read earlier, is that Russian sent investigators to take samples of jet fuel at the airport where it took off from. Perhaps Zaphod can expand on this. Can someone sabotage fuel to make it explosive or incompatible with aircraft engines?

posted on Oct, 31 2015 @ 10:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58

If it was shot down the debris field would have been bigger. This debris field was small indicating it was largely intact until just before impact. A missile that could have brought it down that fast would have cause pieces to separate.

Debka would blame Iran for the sun coming up tomorrow.

The debris field is 5 miles long.

posted on Oct, 31 2015 @ 10:13 PM
link   
a reply to: Kratos40

It can get contaminated with water or other materials. If it does it can either damage the engines until they stop running, or it no longer sustains combustion depending on what the contamination is. It's usually water or something like that and the engines flame out.

It's possible to contaminate it on purpose, but most contaminated fuel is from pipes or storage tanks leaking.

posted on Oct, 31 2015 @ 10:15 PM
link   

And how much of that five miles is engines and structure of the aircraft? A five mile debris field includes anything light that the wind carries, such as insulation and papers. Now if they found an engine or part of the wing five miles away, that's one thing. Finding small pieces or papers five miles away is normal. I haven't seen anything that says that structural pieces were found far away from the main wreckage.

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join