It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Paul Ryan elected House speaker

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 29 2015 @ 08:50 PM
link   
U.S. Congressman Paul Ryan was elected Speaker of the House by a majority vote.

He will replace outgoing Speaker John Boehner when he leaves soon.

Many think Ryan is a RINO and may not reflect a "realistic" Republican view.

But then again, many Republicans in Congress are not genuine Conservatives.

Ryan might actually be a stabilizer to Obama, as was/is Boehner.

Of course no Democrats voted for Ryan and a few Republicans didn't either.

He got a clear majority vote however.

Ryan is now standing behind the Vice President in line to the Presidency in the event of incapacities by the POTUS and/or VPOTUS.

Ryan has been the U.S. Representative for Wisconsin's 1st congressional district since 1999.

Paul D. Ryan, Republican of Wisconsin, was elected speaker of the House Thursday and proceeded to declare the institution he now leads “broken” and in need of reform.

The problems Ryan identified had less to do with partisan gridlock between Republicans and Democrats and more to do with divisions within his own party stoked by difference over tactics and ideology.

Those fissures drove out former Speaker John A. Boehner, who bid a tearful farewell Thursday, and prompted Ryan to pledge to return some of the power amassed in recent decades by House leadership to the rank-and-file.

Names of nine Republicans who didn’t vote for Ryan as Speaker

edit on Oct-29-2015 by xuenchen because: [-0-] 435

posted on Oct, 29 2015 @ 09:02 PM
link   

Many think Ryan is a RINO

Fiscally he's extremely conservative, I don't see how anyone could consider him a rino, except that I heard he doesn't want to string up immigrants like most Republicans these days, so maybe that's why they think that.

posted on Oct, 29 2015 @ 09:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: CB328

Many think Ryan is a RINO

Fiscally he's extremely conservative, I don't see how anyone could consider him a rino, except that I heard he doesn't want to string up immigrants like most Republicans these days, so maybe that's why they think that.

False Narrative / Hyperbole alert.

Wanting the laws on the books to be enforced, and stopping a soft invasion of non-citizens competing for jobs and opportunities against citizens is not 'stringing the immigrants up'

You could at least use the terms 'illegal' of PC 'undocumented'

Anyways, as to Ryan... I guess we'll have to wait and see. I'm not pleased with the process that led to Ryan's election. There were other Congressmen running against McCarthy when he stepped down, one of them should have been elected. If Ryan wanted the job back then he had the chance.

posted on Oct, 29 2015 @ 09:14 PM
link   
My humble opinion....more of the same
Nothing will change by having Ryan as Speaker.
In 2016, the Freedom caucus membership in the house will double. People are getting fed up with the RINO's.
Vote for a third party in 2016.

posted on Oct, 29 2015 @ 09:15 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

More of the same.

The term status quo comes to mind.

posted on Oct, 29 2015 @ 09:17 PM
link   
I will be keeping my fingers crossed that he is, indeed, a RINO.

posted on Oct, 29 2015 @ 09:19 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

I definitely don't envy him that job. There is a large mix of conservatives in the House right now. There are secular Goldwater conservatives, Christian conservatives, neoconservatives, TP conservatives, libertarian-leaning conservatives... I'm starting to feel like Bubba from Forrest Gump

Anyway, these groups have some overlapping ideologies, but they also have contradictory ones. Neoconservatives versus Libertarians regarding foreign policy is a good example.

Bringing the groups together will be a difficult task, especially when some seem more interested in publicity stunts.

posted on Oct, 29 2015 @ 09:26 PM
link   
We should pay attention to him now if he pulls the same tactics as Boehner did, when bringing bills to a vote, which Obama would then threaten "government shutdown", then Boehner would cave in and bow to the Obama changes, and then come back and announce they tried with bill presentation number 1, but to avoid a shutdown, had to give in to the other side.
Obama has used this proven effective tactic to over ride everything the republicans have tried to do, but failed, in order to avoid government shutdowns which Obama would always threaten to impose if they didn't compromise.

People have been saying Paul Ryan will do the exact same thing, so lets see if that happens. If it does...

posted on Oct, 29 2015 @ 09:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen

While you may consider your OP's worthy of a smiley gif... there are plenty of folks who don't find what is happening in DC funny at all...

Now..

I have higher hopes for Ryan as the leader of the House than Boehner who, in my eyes, was no leader, and certainly no stabilizer to the President...

I want a House... that does the work of the House... not a House who panders to the Oval Office... no matter the affiliation of the person who sits in that chair..

It's time for those in the House and Senate to DO THEIR JOB.. pass bills.. if it's nixed by a Prez veto so be it...

Stop with this "we are hamstrung" mentality that a vetoed bill isn't worth the effort... DO SOMETHING... The folks, while not appreciative of the President, if you look in the mirror.... Those same folks HIGHEST disdain and disappointment lies within the CAPITOL...

Stop with the excuses, and partisan BS... start looking out for the folks you lied to to get elected...

Not holding my breath here...

posted on Oct, 29 2015 @ 09:40 PM
link   
a reply to: JacKatMtn

Yeah I wouldn't hold my breath either.

One of the many problems is that there are too many safe districts on both sides. Not only is there no incentive to cooperate, but the only way for most of them to lose reelection is to cooperate. Bipartisan Dems would be accused of selling out, and bipartisan repubs would be accused of being RINOs.

The Leadership on each side are the only ones who seem even remotely interested in cooperation.

posted on Oct, 29 2015 @ 09:40 PM
link   
I think this image says it all:

posted on Oct, 29 2015 @ 10:42 PM
link   

So we can assume that like under Boehner nothing will get done? There should be a new law passed for members of congress if you don't do your job then you don't paid.

posted on Oct, 29 2015 @ 10:58 PM
link   

Ryan will fall in line with the neocons; he's not stupid.

posted on Oct, 29 2015 @ 11:06 PM
link   
a reply to: CB328

Most republicans... Really.

Better restock your hyperbole tank. That just about emptied it.

...and we wonder why politics is so antagonistic these days...
edit on 10/29/2015 by seagull because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 29 2015 @ 11:07 PM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

The man is in a no-win situation regardless of what he does.

If he panders to the hardliners, he'll be nothing more than a puppet for what is essentially a minority group with the GOP. If he does anything else, he'll be considered a RINO.

Without any kind of compromise with those across the aisle, the House will remain in gridlock.

posted on Oct, 30 2015 @ 06:00 AM
link   
This should be interesting... Its a nice gig though as the pay is over 220k a year.

I dont see why both sides dont come together and agree to elect a person speaker who is from the outside. The Speaker of the House position does not require the person who takes the job to be a member of Congress. They can elect whomever they wish.

I am curious if Ryan will follow up with the Obama scandals with lawsuits / special prosecutors.
edit on 30-10-2015 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2015 @ 06:23 AM
link   
It will be interesting to see how this evolves. Ryan was elected speaker because the Republicans want a leader that will not compromise and will represent the partisan politics the Right Wing wants to push.

He will be hung-out to dry if he even thinks of approaching his position in a reasonable way and is willing to work with the Democrats.

posted on Oct, 30 2015 @ 02:20 PM
link   
My condolences to Paul Ryan, I disagree with him on some areas but he's a pretty smart guy and he was right to say he didn't want the job. With the way the GOP is currently split, and the rather large voting block that wants an obstructionist contrasted with the block that wants sanity and effective government the speaker is in a no win situation. Being Speaker right now is a career ender.

I would bet good money that Ryan was offered a cushy private sector job after agreeing to be the conductor for the train wreck.
edit on 30-10-2015 by Aazadan because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join