It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why I Opted Out of Jury Duty

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 28 2015 @ 10:54 PM
link   
So I had a recent request from our Government to serve as a juror in a criminal case. I was able to eliminate myself from the jury, but it got me to thinking (dangerous, I know). I have several reasons to not be a part of this case. First, I don't want to give my tacit approval to our corrupt Government and the legal system. Second, I don't really want to deal with the time and effort I would be expending. Third, I already knew that I would never vote to convict this person even if they probably deserve to be in jail...just not for that which they were accused.

I don't remember all of the exact charges, but it was basically possession of a controlled substance, intent to distribute said controlled substance and illegal possession of a firearm. My personal beliefs would not allow me to vote guilty on any of these charges since, in my opinion, none of what he was accused of was a crime as there was no victim of person or property.

The first charge is bogus because said controlled substance was produced without any ill-intent or threat to society. Distribution of this product would be to other consenting adults and they both have a right to free and unmolested commerce. Finally, in my opinion it is not possible for an American Citzen to illegally possess a firearm as it is a Constitutinally protected if not fundamental right.

I realize my strong Libertarian views might seem out there to many, but I firmly believe in these principals. So, basically I am submitting this topic for the benefit of the community to consider and discuss. There are no wrong answers, but I am very comfortable with what I believe. My beliefs equally allow for any other opinions even if I don't personally agree with them.

What say you, ATS?

edit on 2015/10/28 by Metallicus because: Fixed

posted on Oct, 28 2015 @ 11:15 PM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

Regardless what you believe or how shammy the charges seem,

Do you not see it as a responsibility all citizens should take part in when called upon?

Isnt what makes a good citizen doing something for the sake of their country/peers no matter what they view of them?

posted on Oct, 28 2015 @ 11:19 PM
link   
I have been called to serve several times. Last one was a case where an old lady hit a guy in her car to his car.

The attorneys ask the jurors questions. One of them was had I ever been in an accident where a lawsuit resulted. I answer yes, and they say, thank you, goodby.

I have never been able to serve, and I want to. I really do dangummit.

Maybe next time.

posted on Oct, 28 2015 @ 11:20 PM
link   

I wouldn't do jury duty either for the exact same reasons,I have never received a jury duty request though,if I had been sent one I would probably burn it. I had a friend who was recently sent a jury duty request,he was thinking of being as unhelpful and biased as possible,but then I found out he didn't have to go so I told him and spared him the boredom and he didn't want to partake in our corrupt legal system anyway. I personally if I was in your shoes wouldn't have a problem with the firearms possession charge as long as the guy didn't have a history of violent crimes.As far as the drugs charge if was anything natural I would say I don't care,if however it was substance known to make people violent like PCP,BathSalts,Crack,Cocaine,Heroine,Krokodil,or any derivatives then I say take him to rehab,cause jail won't help anyone's drug problems,if anything prison could make someones drug problems worse.

posted on Oct, 28 2015 @ 11:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: frostie

Regardless what you believe or how shammy the charges seem,

Do you not see it as a responsibility all citizens should take part in when called upon?

Isnt what makes a good citizen doing something for the sake of their country/peers no matter what they view of them?

I definitely considered your position, but after careful consideration I decided the negatives outweighed the positives.

posted on Oct, 28 2015 @ 11:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: smirkley
I have been called to serve several times. Last one was a case where an old lady hit a guy in her car to his car.

The attorneys ask the jurors questions. One of them was had I ever been in an accident where a lawsuit resulted. I answer yes, and they say, thank you, goodby.

I have never been able to serve, and I want to. I really do dangummit.

Maybe next time.

At least in your case their was an actual victim. Most of the laws in our country are BS.

posted on Oct, 29 2015 @ 01:01 AM
link   
If you think the law the person is being accused of breaking itself is unjust, how can you fairly judge the person?

posted on Oct, 29 2015 @ 02:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: MystikMushroom
If you think the law the person is being accused of breaking itself is unjust, how can you fairly judge the person?

I couldn't. This is a valid reason for me never to be a juror. Add in that I don't support the death penalty and I would be a nightmare for any prosecutor.

I would be for jury nullification on any charges without a victim of person or property. There is no reason for a victimless crime to be prosecuted.

I would also argue that speeding is not a crime, however, if someone were to kill someone due to reckless operation then I would be fine with convicting them of involuntary manslaughter or its jurisdictional equivalent.

posted on Oct, 29 2015 @ 03:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus
So I had a recent request from our Government to serve as a juror in a criminal case. I was able to eliminate myself from the jury, but it got me to thinking (dangerous, I know). I have several reasons to not be a part of this case. First, I don't want to give my tacit approval to our corrupt Government and the legal system. Second, I don't really want to deal with the time and effort I would be expending. Third, I already knew that I would never vote to convict this person even if they probably deserve to be in jail...just not for that which they were accused.

I don't remember all of the exact charges, but it was basically possession of a controlled substance, intent to distribute said controlled substance and illegal possession of a firearm. My personal beliefs would not allow me to vote guilty on any of these charges since, in my opinion, none of what he was accused of was a crime as there was no victim of person or property.

The first charge is bogus because said controlled substance was produced without any ill-intent or threat to society. Distribution of this product would be to other consenting adults and they both have a right to free and unmolested commerce. Finally, in my opinion it is not possible for an American Citzen to illegally possess a firearm as it is a Constitutinally protected if not fundamental right.

I realize my strong Libertarian views might seem out there to many, but I firmly believe in these principals. So, basically I am submitting this topic for the benefit of the community to consider and discuss. There are no wrong answers, but I am very comfortable with what I believe. My beliefs equally allow for any other opinions even if I don't personally agree with them.

What say you, ATS?

Then why not go in there and express those views in the form of a vote or nullify the charge and do a little bit to strenghten the rule of law and tacitly endorse the blokes conviction or charge by not showing up??

Dont understand your reasons and your views are not unique. I must have missed something.

posted on Oct, 29 2015 @ 03:09 AM
link   
a reply to: frostie

Do we need to be good citizens of society or good humans?

I respect the decision made by the OP for not blindly following the 'rules' of society.

posted on Oct, 29 2015 @ 06:49 AM
link   

In Russia

The jury duty opts out of you

Lol

Just kidding I couldn't help it

posted on Oct, 29 2015 @ 08:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: MystikMushroom

You're not there to judge the person, the legal system OR the law. You're judging whether or not they broke the current law. Regardless what you think of the person or the law, you're not there to judge either.

I understand the OP's position and I'm fine with it. Better he not be a juror than be one who judges the legal system and the law itself.

posted on Oct, 29 2015 @ 09:21 AM
link   
a reply to: frostie

I was called for jury duty once. In the middle of a northern Saskatchewan winter. I would have had to drive 2 hours each way in bad winter weather, paying the gas costs myself, or stay in town for an undetermined amount of days/weeks having to pay the kennel costs of 3 dogs and an elderly cat myself. I think they pay hotel and meal costs if necessary..not sure.

I wrote them and told them the only way jury duty was possible was if they drove me both ways every day....
They let me out of that duty, there was no way it was affordable.
I think at the time they paid about $40 a day, that wouldn't have even covered the cost of gas

posted on Oct, 29 2015 @ 09:22 AM
link   

No victim, No crime.

posted on Oct, 29 2015 @ 09:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: Lysergic

No victim, No crime.

That may be the way you'd LIKE it to be (and I agree), but that's not the way it IS.

posted on Oct, 29 2015 @ 09:35 AM
link   

Therein lies your correct, but incorrect thinking.

As a regular citizen not acting as a jury member, you absolutely should hold those views and even argue to have the laws changed in honor of personal freedom. But, as a jury member, the judge gives you the instruction as to exactly what your job will be, and it is to weigh the evidence against the current laws on the book and see if it satisfies all of the elements of the existing law in order to find a defendant guilty.

But, if you are unwilling or incapable of doing that, you absolutely should be honest about it and hope that you are removed from the situation. Maybe it's my legal background, but I would be willing to sit in the jury box on that trial and be objective to the law, even though I think that current drug laws are ridiculous.

You can't call a charge bogus just because it offends your sensibilities of how laws should be--they're only bogus if they don't meet the specifications of said charge.

I guess it's just a part of living in a society--you have to abide by laws that you may find unjust or just offensive to your ideology, but in turn, we aren't caught fending for ourselves out in the wilderness. It's a trade off--but I do agree that he trade off is becoming increasingly lopsided in support of oppressive government.

posted on Oct, 29 2015 @ 09:46 AM
link   
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic

Excellent sounds like I am exempt form jury duty as well.

posted on Oct, 29 2015 @ 09:50 AM
link   
a reply to: Lysergic

All one has to do is say they don't think they can be unbiased because of personal feelings. I got called once, but they didn't pick me. I was bummed.

posted on Oct, 29 2015 @ 09:51 AM
link   
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic

Yeah, I know, already got out of it once.

posted on Oct, 29 2015 @ 10:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: Benevolent Heretic

originally posted by: Lysergic

No victim, No crime.

That may be the way you'd LIKE it to be (and I agree), but that's not the way it IS.

Jury nullification allows citizens to ignore unjust laws.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join