It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nunchucks chosen as a nonlethal alternative for California police dept

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 10:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr
a reply to: Bedlam

I'm not sure what gap in the force spectrum it's filling. Any of this stuff you could do with a PR24, and with a lot less training to be proficient.

Nunchaku provide more reach than batons or tonfa, can be used to disarm an opponents weapon, use as painful come along, choke someone and direct magnified force from a strike that can't be achieved with a baton or tonfa.

You can do all that with a PR24. Plus you're more likely to be able to with 16 hours of training.

If you need more reach, that's why you have an asp or taser.

My personal choice for Asian weaponry is the Mean Guillotine, if we're going for range.

edit on 27-10-2015 by Bedlam because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 10:33 PM
link   
As a martial arts instructor who teaches Nunchucka use and who has worked with them for 100s of hours? I can tell you that a baton is better and more adaptable for both striking an oponent, blocking them and helping restrain them. This is a bad idea all the way through. Oh and back to my training, even with all of that training and weekly use, it's still not a weapon of choice in an actual fight. I'd use a stick/baton/bat/tonfa any day. And so should the police, who will never get as much hands on training as I have.

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 11:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Lucid Lunacy

bad ass dude! San Miguel is one of the most advanced forms of cebu doce P.

yeah nunchuku not so great in application. I'll take a simple angel 1 & 2 with a baton any day over a nunchuku. talk about broken timing. imagine how crappy the fluid return is on a nunchuku after a strike landing vs. a simple stick. a little Redondo a watik or abanico thrown in. a little hourglass or triangle ...baton wins everytime. all that plus a umbrella, roof, or flourette is more bad ass than twirling a nunchku any day.

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 11:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: BestinShow
a reply to: eisegesis

It takes years to master this weapon.

I know, lol, I'm now picturing a bunch of officers running around hitting themselves in the face

posted on Oct, 28 2015 @ 12:58 AM
link   
a reply to: SprocketUK

I did BOTH trying to learn them at the same effort and STOPPED right there.
I'll stick with BLADES thank you.
I don't want to carry a gun either.
edit on 28-10-2015 by cavtrooper7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 28 2015 @ 01:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: SprocketUK
I can't wait for all the videos of cops hitting themselves in the nuts or on the backs of their heads.

Yes it should be fun for us.

But ...

every time they hurt themselves, and they will .... a lot ..... the person they are 'subduing' will get charged as if they caved in the officer's nuts.

This will be reminiscent of the keystone cops.

Self opinionated, know all thugs will hurt themselves more than the suspects.

P

posted on Oct, 28 2015 @ 05:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

I'm not sure what gap in the force spectrum it's filling. Any of this stuff you could do with a PR24, and with a lot less training to be proficient.

Nunchaku provide more reach than batons or tonfa, can be used to disarm an opponents weapon, use as painful come along, choke someone and direct magnified force from a strike that can't be achieved with a baton or tonfa.

Not with 16 hours of training they don't.

posted on Oct, 28 2015 @ 05:49 AM
link   

Nunchucks?

Bad idea.

Have to get in close to use them, and then swinging a couple of batons around when a perp is resisting you isn't exactly a precise weapon.

Better option would be bean bag rounds for their side arms...non lethal, good stopping power and can be used at a greater range, thereby keeping the perp well beyond arm's reach.

Nunchucks! Someone's been watching too many martial arts films i think.

posted on Oct, 28 2015 @ 05:58 AM
link   
Wow, are they going to start using ninja stars as an alternative lethal weapon? Or for that matter, since they are apparently such highly skilled fighting machines why not just make them batarangs? I'm sure with 20 hours of training they will be good to go.
edit on 28-10-2015 by The_Phantom because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 28 2015 @ 06:26 AM
link   
I think they should consider Marine NCO swords next. After all, if you can defeat lava monsters with one, some meth dealer won't stand a chance. And think of the mindless terror respect you'd engender in the citizenry!

Just imagine...

disrespectful pro-anarchy citizen: "I am recording you, officer"
blue knight: "Oh, yeah? (whsst!) Well, I 'think' that's a cell phone machine gun! Watcha! Waa! Now, peon, turn off that recorder!"
formerly disrespectful anarchist: "I cannot turn off the recorder"
hero in blue: "Why are you disobeying me, fool?"
formerly disrespectful pro-anarchy citizen: "you have cut off both my hands"

edit on 28-10-2015 by Bedlam because: (no reason given)

edit on 28-10-2015 by Bedlam because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 28 2015 @ 06:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: Shamrock6

I'm envisioning something more like the scene at the water hole in 2001, only with nunchucks instead of antelope femurs.

16 hours and a wild hoorah will net you LEOs using nunchucks in the 'grain flail' or 'thwop' mode. Thwop, thwop, thwop, oh look he's not breathing.

posted on Oct, 28 2015 @ 06:52 AM
link   

I would be inclined to say that 16 hours of training is juuuust enough training for one to get one's ass kicked.

Ps - that was an officer in the lava monster commercial, not an NCO. The NCOs were busy working.

posted on Oct, 28 2015 @ 07:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: Shamrock6

I would be inclined to say that 16 hours of training is juuuust enough training for one to get one's ass kicked.

Ps - that was an officer in the lava monster commercial, not an NCO. The NCOs were busy working.

Hey, you guys get cool NCO swords as uniform accessories. We got a can of dip.

You have to admit, swords would be a lot more intimidating than 'chucks.

posted on Oct, 28 2015 @ 09:10 AM
link   
a reply to: Shamrock6

16 hours of training with a nunchuku is just enough to leave your wrist sore and not wanting to pickup a nunchuku again.

nunchuku are mainly for show. the spinning and flailing of it looks great until you hit something with it. then it flies out of control and takes to long to get back uunder control to do a followup. nunchuku have a decent jab but their fluidity is a myth once contact is made, then they just become clumsy. plus there is little aim or control as to where exactly Iit will hit. nunchuku have no footwork. you just stand there flailing hoping somebody buys your bluff.

a stick on the other hand. has all of that. counter offensive maneuvering, target precision, weapon control, control of force behind the strike, can grapple with a stick and use it like a third arm. sticks are ridiculously fast too once you get your fluidity down. it's easier to control the pace and distance in a engagement. sticks and short swords (20-25" blades) are more efficient than any nunchuku.

this guy is pretty good with nunchuku. but in the end its all bull #e. his hands are open the whole time. he hit anybody including himself with those nunchuku and they will fly out of his hands leaving him screwed.

m.youtube.com...

then there's legit stick and sword tools that will work, because they do work, cause they have worked.... for hundreds of years.

m.youtube.com...
edit on 28-10-2015 by BASSPLYR because: (no reason given)

edit on 28-10-2015 by BASSPLYR because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 28 2015 @ 09:59 AM
link   
a reply to: Shamrock6

The twirling and spinning moves are for show, learning simple strike moves and how to use them to disarm and subdue is teachable in sixteen hours. I'm sure theres instructions to practice in that "lengthy seminar' as well.

I had less than 16 hours training from my teacher, learning to perfect them on my own time. Hella workout, toning, balance and confidence comes with much elbow, knee bruising and diligence.

Nunchaku aren't very forgiving…

posted on Oct, 28 2015 @ 10:05 AM
link   
They should train the rank and file to use less than lethal ladders instead.

Wait for it…. (about 2 minutes into here)

posted on Oct, 28 2015 @ 10:07 AM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

LOL, when i was a kid anyone with a decent piece of chain, a couple of screws, and a broken broomstick could have the pleasure of beating themselves senseless "playing" with them.

After 1 or 2 times cracking yourself in the face or crotch, they just become something else laying around the yard (where you last dropped them to tend to a bloody nose)

posted on Oct, 28 2015 @ 10:13 AM
link   

Greetings and Salutations from a retired Ca. cop that calls Flori-Duh My current ecological niche.. I don't want to quash the idea of "ideas" but this does NOT bode well, for anyone concerned, the Public and their employees, the Police. I worked in a much larger PD than Anderson and there is ZERO reason for a Dep't. this size to have anything like this for their "arsenal" They should just be happy/content with the armored SWAT veh. that Uncle Suga charged the U$ Taxpayer for and that these guys drive twice a year for the 4th of July and Founder's Day Parade..

What happened to "Verbal Judo"? Now there is yet another 'weapon' to drag around. I remember the Taser, then it was everyone got a .223, then everyone got a MP-5 What happened to "What can I do to have You go along with the program?" and then escalate from there?

In My California State recognized "Expert Opinion" this is "Ill Advised"...

namaste

Proud Member of LEAP

posted on Oct, 28 2015 @ 10:17 AM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

You found out they weren't a toy. "Any two screws and a broken stick in the yard" isn't how to go about learning Nunchaku.

A self beating is the correct result.

posted on Oct, 28 2015 @ 10:22 AM
link   
Now My "personal opinion"...

This is some turd that got beat up in High School who didn't do squat on Patrol but hung around the PD studying for the Sgt. examine and kissing ass of the brass. This turd rises quickly through the ranks. To combat "them" You need to 'get wood' (something to hang over their head; You know they'll be a 'boss' one day so You keep quiet until You're done/10-7)

Now this guy is probably a 'Training Sgt.' and does 'macho 'snip' because He has no family or His whole thing is 'being a cop'. They probably just got done with 'Quarterly Training' and while these guys are cleaning the 5 guns they carry daily, their EGO gets 'cooking' and then one of these Turds suggests crap like this..

Now 3 or 4 from the PD will get to go to Sacramento for "Specialized Training" and they'll end up at Centerfolds™ strip bar out at Folsom, then these Turds will come back and kill someone and Anderson PD will be no longer...

Get the mail when the resident goes on vacation; quiet the barking dog and if You "want/need" action (adrenaline) LAPD is always hiring...

I now feel 'cleaner'... Thanks for that..

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join