It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Melissa Harris-Perry: Be 'super careful' about saying 'hard worker' because it demeans slaves

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 06:04 PM
link   
a reply to: DISRAELI

So, she said something you don't agree with. Why invent another label to hurl at people?? Isn't "PC" good enough? Has is been completely worn out?

When you think about it, people here are "offended" by what MHP said. (much as she is offended by what Aguilar said).

Now, those who are offended want to shut her up, label her, and malign her because they are offended. (much as the politically correct do when someone says "all lives matter", for example)

The shoe's on the other foot here. It's the liberal (MHP) who's being maligned, because what she said wasn't "politically correct" according to her detractors.

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 06:10 PM
link   
A few of you becoming PC warriors to combat the PC warriors???

"Shut the # up"???
"Keep her opinions to herself"???

You guys are hilarious and the irony is too delicious to ignore!!!

Freedom of speech... When I like what's being said.

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 06:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic

Yeah, but some don't have the grey matter to comprehend their own hypocrisy.

Even though it stinks of s# and they've buried their noses in it.
edit on 27-10-2015 by CharlieSpeirs because: Political Baiting removed! It may offend otherwise.

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 06:23 PM
link   
So if someone wants to silence me or restrict my freedom of expression and I am against that person restricting me. . . . . . . . . then I am against freedom of expression because I don't want to be silenced??????????????????????

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 06:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: Benevolent Heretic
So, she said something you don't agree with. Why invent another label to hurl at people?? Isn't "PC" good enough? Has is been completely worn out?

It's quite impossible to use the word "SALTing", by my proposed definition, except about someone who has already tried to exercise control over somebody else's language.
In other words, the label can only be "hurled" at somebody who has already done their own hurling first.
Counter-attack, not "first strike".

"SALTing" is more convenient than "politically correct" for use in rapid-fire conversational exchanges. Better for instant reaction in debate. Easily chanted by crowds. That's why it could be a useful addition to the political vocabulary.

(In any case, as far as I know, "politically correct" was not originally a negative label. My understanding is that the phrase was invented by the politically correct themselves as a term of approval for the language-choices they preferred.)

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 06:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: CharlieSpeirs
A few of you becoming PC warriors to combat the PC warriors???

"Shut the # up"???
"Keep her opinions to herself"???

You guys are hilarious and the irony is too delicious to ignore!!!

I don't know if you were referring to me, since I did say she needs to keep her opinions to herself, but I hope you would know enough about my posting history to realize that I would never want to stop her from practicing her right to free speech and do not fall for the "pc" faux-outrage agenda.

The reason I said what I did is because MHP does present herself as the typical progressive/Liberal in the way the Right has come to believe is universal among Leftists.

I do not like the way she presents herself and I think she should tone-down her political agenda and strive for better journalistic approaches. It's not that much different than how Hannity or Fox conducts themselves.

So it is my opinion that she should keep more of her opinions to herself, drop the rhetoric and race-baiting, and present herself in a way that is welcoming to people who just want to hear the facts.

edit on 27-10-2015 by introvert because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 07:01 PM
link   

Freedom of speech...

When I dont agree with whats being said and I verbalize that position.
edit on 27-10-2015 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 07:04 PM
link   
a reply to: introvert

Yeah and I must admit I expect better from you, Introvert...
You're a good one.
But I'm sure I've let the side down now and then as well.

Appreciate the elaboration.

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 07:06 PM
link   
a reply to: Xcathdra

STFU...

See how that works?

It's advocating for silence. Not verbalising an antithetical opinion.

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 07:08 PM
link   
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic

Who said anything about shutting her up?

I didn't. There is a difference between pointing out how silly her statement is and demanding no one give her a pedestal from which to spout her foolishness. Can you point to a concerted campaign to remove her from the air? People do campaign to remove the right's speakers all the time for one thing they say after another.

Heck, Trump isn't even on the right as it's properly understood, and when he said something people didn't like, there was a concerted campaign to force all his business partners to divest from him.

I don't see this happening to MHP.

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 07:08 PM
link   
a reply to: CharlieSpeirs

No my response to her stupidity was me stating my position and why I thought her comments were uneducated and problematic.

So while STFU works, it is reinforced when there is something more to add to the line...

So STFU.... right?

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 07:13 PM
link   
a reply to: Lysergic
This political "correctness" gone mad. So complimenting someone on their hard work may be considered racist or demeaning?? Are you kidding me? They're eliminating these terms from our internal dictionaries, perhaps as a test of New Speak. OP, good job on your HARD WORK! To hell with her bs.

edit on 27-10-2015 by Tiamat384 because: Grammar

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 07:16 PM
link   
LOL

Did her PR crew come in?

Ol' Girl is the one trying to censor mofos.

She is allowed to make an ass of hats because that's whats so special about snowflake America.

However my snowflake is just as special.

Don't use hard worker cuz it's demeaning to slaves(dead ones, not actually anyone that are alive)...

ROFL

What a buffoon.
edit on 27-10-2015 by Lysergic because: assery afoot

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 07:28 PM
link   
Meanwhile, in modern times cotton is till picked ...

and farming is still hard work ...

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 07:36 PM
link   

Y'know, she's allowed, apparently, to say pretty much whatever she wishes. Fine. Freedom of speech and all that.

It's my right to call her an idiotic moron, who if she had two brain cells to rub together would be dangerous...

No, why should she shut up? No reason at all, that way she'll never be allowed to be in a position where she could do some real damage.

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 07:37 PM
link   
One of my TVs is set to msnbc because of other programming. I happened to catch Harris-Perry's show one Saturday and was utterly, utterly appalled at literally every single thing about the woman.

She seems completely unprepared for every single interview she does. She seems completely unprepared for every single topic she covers. She's ignorant in every possible meaning of the word. I despise everything about this woman's idea of "journalism" and this is just another example of why.

Because slaves picked cotton, we can't call anybody else a hard worker? Good Christ woman. Lots of people have done lots of things that were hard. Blacks picking cotton weren't the only ones to experience hard work. Slavery existed all over the place for hundreds of years.

God I hope she gets fired. If for no other reason than being an utterly, completely worthless journalist. My local news with people two years out of college has better prepared journalists than this moron.

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 07:39 PM
link   

Yeah and I must admit I expect better from you, Introvert...
You're a good one.
But I'm sure I've let the side down now and then as well.

Appreciate the elaboration.

I may have let them down, but I believe I'm being consistent.

Let's put this in proper perspective.

A guest says the words "hard work" in reference to a politicians work ethic and MHP's point of disagreement is using that specific term because cotton-picking slaves define "hard work"?

Really?

Can you not see the idiocy in that?
edit on 27-10-2015 by introvert because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 07:51 PM
link   

I agree. It is idiotic.

But I still wouldn't want to silence her or tell her to shut up or whatever.
That's just as PC as she is.

I don't fight fire with fire.

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 07:53 PM
link   
a reply to: seagull

Well I never said I agree with her nor did I say she had a point to make...

But the irony was all too apparent.
So I pointed it out, & that's all I did.

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 08:09 PM
link   

So being against someone who is against free expression is being against free expression?

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join