It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chelsea lost again! The champions` crisis continues

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 24 2015 @ 03:32 PM
link   
a reply to: alldaylong yeah but put that money into todays transfer fees,you can,t compare cause you have no idea what price they players would cost today.

posted on Oct, 24 2015 @ 03:46 PM
link   
a reply to: sparky31

Top players in the mid to late 1970's where going for £500,000 to the then record of £1 million.

Dalglish from Celtic To Liverpool £440,000 Keegan from Liverpool to Hamburg £500,000.

Therefore apart from Trevor Francis the Nottingham Forest Team cost next to nothing to build. Clough didn't have to pay big fees, he saw players at lower league clubs who he knew he could improve. That's what made him a genius.

posted on Oct, 24 2015 @ 04:02 PM
link   
a reply to: lamplighters

Yep the Hammers are doing well under Bilic, as are Leicester with the Tinkerman, Ranieri, in charge and even Pardew's Palace. It may not last but at least it's refreshing.

As for Mourinho; Well something has gone totally wrong at that club and what seemed like a brief dip in form is becoming a lot more serious. Certain players are either not able to, or not willing to put in the performances required and Jose's influence seems to be waning. Perhaps the uncalled for criticism of his medical staff, Eva Carneiro and John Fearn, back in August has affected morale more than he thought too?

He has a history of not sticking around too long at clubs and maybe he's close to another exit. Whilst I don't think he's lost it as a manager I do think he's lost it being Chelsea manager.

posted on Oct, 24 2015 @ 04:21 PM
link   
a reply to: alldaylong yeah at the time they were considered world class players which in todays money would be going to garth bales price,so a few in that nottingham forest team would be hitting a firmino price or lovern cause one was 20m and other was 29m so even what he paid back then for players they would be hitting them ridculous prices too.

posted on Oct, 24 2015 @ 04:52 PM
link   

The whole team cost £1,662.000 No other manager could win a European Cup spending so little.

Jock Stein.

But on the subject of money, consider 1979. No TV money and gates of 30,000 at around £3.50 per ticket.

A million quid on one player, then, was outrageous.

It was some team all the same. What would John Robertson cost today? Better than Gareth Bale.

Cheers.

posted on Oct, 24 2015 @ 04:58 PM
link   
a reply to: unifaun

And ALL BRITISH Players.

Not a foreigner among them.

posted on Oct, 24 2015 @ 07:06 PM
link   
The first million pound player, although it wasn't quite a million, was bought by Clough. He's to blame for the over inflated prices of today's players in a sense.

Seriously, you think Clough didn't spend? 😆.
edit on 24/10/15 by Cobaltic1978 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 25 2015 @ 04:17 AM
link   
I once was at my local city christmas fans do and we had Colin Bell and Tony Book doing a Q&A session and someone asked if football players in their time were as good as football players today and they both said because of the training, the pitch the ball and the investment in the players today they are much better today.
They did both say if they had started now with the same level of training etc they would be just as good though

posted on Oct, 25 2015 @ 06:51 AM
link   
a reply to: boymonkey74

players today they are much better today.

Funny how England won The World Cup 50 years ago, something we will never do again.

In those days you had just 11 players. There where no substitutes. They had to shake off an injury and stay on the pitch. In the 1956 F.A. Cup Final Birmingham City v Manchester City, Manchester goal keeper Bert Trautmann broke his neck during the game but still played on

Today if a player tackles hard, the ref blows for a free kick. The players today are " fairies " compared with the past. Not only fairies, but cheating and diving and feigning injury.

Players today are much better ? My arse.
edit on 25-10-2015 by alldaylong because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 25 2015 @ 07:23 AM
link   

I support West Ham and I'm happy to see that the Premiership is getting more Competitive, its about time as its always been the same 4 or 5 teams at the top stealing the best players from other Teams in order to keep them down...

I hope West Ham can keep it up and finish top 6 at least!

COYI

posted on Oct, 25 2015 @ 11:24 AM
link   
[QUOTE]
Mate we came 3rd under Luca Vialli in 98/99 and weren't far off winning the league that season. [/QUOTE]

Mate, Chelsea overspent in the late 90s just like Leeds United, and the difference between Chelsea and Leeds United was that Abramovich came along and bailed Chelsea out and spent hundreds of millions on them. Whereas Leeds didn't get that. And reason.....Because Chelsea so happened to be situated in London. A decade before Chelsea were in the second division.

Chelsea are a big club, but I consider all the clubs in the Premiership "big". But they are nowhere in the level of Liverpool/Arsenal/Man Utd.

Everton have won nearly twice as many league titles as Chelsea, and have finished in the top 4 in it's history double the amount of times.

posted on Oct, 25 2015 @ 01:45 PM
link   
For my sins I'm a Celtic fan who supports Scottish Football.

But by God the EPL Derby today was rotten.

We spend fractions of that and the entertainment we get is as non-existant.

I tell you, getting back on topic, football back in the day was so much better.

Teams actually went out to win games.

Now, it's all feckin control the midfield and don't lose a goal.

Is this a money thing? Keep the prestige and the bucks but bore the life out of the audience.

A bit like REM really.

Football used to be a simple game for the common (wo)man.

We used to have ball players - Alan, Jinky, Georgie and the great Buzzbomb - getting the crowd up on its feet.

We had Cruyff and Total Football. Where do you think Barcelona's philosophy came from?

Now, to me, it's been screwed up by pseudo intellectuals, validating 22 men chasing after a ball into some form of pyschological chess strategy.

And it's really boring.

Which is quite a worry, should the fans ditch the hype and take the money elsewhere.

posted on Oct, 26 2015 @ 11:12 AM
link   
Football is football. It's still the same game. Yeah, there are overpaid prima donnas, cheats, and the physicality is weaker. But the excitement level hasn't changed much.

Back in the day though, Scottish football wasn't so far behind English football. Celtic and Rangers were actually known as big clubs, they still are.....but it seems that the defintiion of a "big club" these days is how rich their owner is. Now, low level English clubs can easily buy Celtics best players, and clubs in the second tier of English football can pay higher wages than top level Scottish clubs.

Im just wondering when the bubble pops.

posted on Oct, 28 2015 @ 12:30 PM
link   
It gets better and better

Chelsea dumped out of League cup by Stoke

cant stop laughing

highlights here

www.3news.co.nz...

posted on Oct, 28 2015 @ 01:00 PM
link   

Knocked out through a penalty shoot out. Chelsea were all over Stoke for large passages of the game, but as we all know, a penalty shoot out is a lottery.

Let's see how they fare against your team this weekend.

Can they beat Klopp's flops or will it be a first victory for Klopp?

My money is on a draw.

posted on Oct, 28 2015 @ 01:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: Cobaltic1978

Knocked out through a penalty shoot out. Chelsea were all over Stoke for large passages of the game, but as we all know, a penalty shoot out is a lottery.

Let's see how they fare against your team this weekend.

Can they beat Klopp's flops or will it be a first victory for Klopp?

My money is on a draw.

My team LFC are playing in an hour from now

I cant begin to tell you how incredibly boring they are, they never score goals

And i bet Origi is being started! he is the worst striker in Europe!
edit on 28-10-2015 by lamplighters because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 28 2015 @ 04:59 PM
link   

Still offensively constipated but I thought the young lads all did well tonight. Bogdan also deserves credit for making a vital save early on and looking solid.

Bring on Chelsea! (But obviously not in the League Cup :hey

posted on Oct, 31 2015 @ 02:21 PM
link   
And again
this time my team LFC winning 3-1 at Stamford Bridge

it gets better and better

edit on 31-10-2015 by lamplighters because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 31 2015 @ 02:31 PM
link   
Awwww Jose, put your toys back in the pram.

posted on Oct, 31 2015 @ 03:17 PM
link   

As it was Halloween I was hoping for another 'ghost' goal to turn his face incandescent.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join