It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

air to ground guided weapons VS aircraft?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 3 2005 @ 06:08 AM
link   
I have read before that helicopters (AH-1's VS Mi-24's in the Iraq - Iran war) have fired Wire-guided weapons at each other before, or atleast the TOW equipted AH-1's, how effective are these weapons against slow flying aircraft like helicopters and slow fixed wing aircraft? what weapons can be used in this fashion?

is it possible to fire for example a Maverick missile or a AT-6 Spiral at an aircraft?

Just curious

posted on Jan, 3 2005 @ 06:13 AM
link   
I think the difference is in speed. A tank killer doesn't have to fly as fast as a sidewinder, for obvious reasons; the prey doesn't move as quickly. Shoulder mounted SAM and SAM batteries fire very speedy missles, helicopters are usually used for anti personnel and anti armor attacks, their munitions reflect their role.

posted on Jan, 3 2005 @ 06:19 AM
link   
Well I did mention helicopters and slow flying aircraft :p

I know speed is the biggest considderation, but I was rather talking about targeting and such...

I know that firing a TOW missile at a Jet fighter is pretty useless for many reasons...

But could for example a Maverick be succesfully targetted on an aircraft? what about a Hellfire? I heard they were making air to air capable versions...

posted on Jan, 3 2005 @ 06:30 AM
link   
If memory serves, both hellfire and maverick missles are short and stubby right (hellfire more so than maverick)? Also, both possess small fins and little maneuverability (again more so the hellfire than the maverick). I think the main challenge in converting ASM into AAM, aside from speed, would be 'teaching' the missle how to interpret the movements of, and intercept, a highly evasive airborne target like a helicopter. You'd have an easier time trying to hit, say, a cargo plane on descent or a radar bird that flies relatively slowly, but still, it's tough.

posted on Jan, 3 2005 @ 06:46 AM
link   
Thanks for the response, you put things in perspective for me.

Also, have Rocketpods ever been used in Air to Air combat? I remember in the game Strike Commander, the manual said that it could be used for air to air combat but wasn't quite effective or something, in theory it would be possible, but a rocket could never be fired as fast as a Air to Air gun...like the M61A1...

So the Hellfire modifications will more than likely be for anti-helicopter purposes?

posted on Jan, 5 2005 @ 02:28 PM
link   
Rocket pods have certainly been used in A-A combat, but mainly in early days before Sidewinders and Amraams took over. It isn't that much different to the cannon on the jet when you think about it.

On another note, sort of the opposite of what you originally asked, there are reports (numerous sources on the web, try google if you want more info) of air to ground weapons, specifically a Walleye and a GBU-10, used to take out airborne Iraqi helo's in Desert Storm. When you think about it, it kind of makes sense. A laser guided bomb against a slow moving helo, especially one near the deck, would be quite effective.

new topics

top topics

join