It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

California Cities Blocking Parking Ticket App For Being Way Too Useful

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 16 2015 @ 07:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: Aazadan

originally posted by: greencmp
a reply to: infolurker

Classic institutionalized legal plunder.

Mind you, cities are about as local as you can get. Does anyone think that government at larger scales (state and federal) is any less self interested and premeditatively corrupt?

It would not be the end of the world if we were to revisit our erstwhile tradition of smaller less intrusive government.

I think of it as an example of why I am unlikely to be more trusting of a smaller federal government. When you break government down into localities the people have less power as any issue can only get the attention of the local residents.

The fix to this app of course would have been easy for the cities to come out with. Build an app for the cops, a piece of hardware on a tablet with a small ribbon printer attached. Input the information to the app making sure each field is filled in then have the app print out the ticket for you correctly. If they're not capable of doing that much, then they deserve to lose the ticket revenue due to incompetence.

It isn't that a smaller government would be more trustworthy, no government is ever trustworthy. Smaller government simply has less capability to cause harm to society and decentralized government ensures the ability to migrate away from corruption.

I think the difference between our outlooks generally is this: I think the best correction for corrupt local government is to physically abandon the locality taking your assets and productive contributions with you and you think that the only solution is to ask a bigger government for help against your local government.

I had put "revenue" in quotes because I think it is a misleading euphemism, it should be called plunder or what Bastiat called "spoliation".
edit on 16-10-2015 by greencmp because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 16 2015 @ 10:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: buster2010

originally posted by: Bluntone22
Sounds like people breaking the law just want to get out of paying the penalty.

One of the rare times we agree. If a person is getting so many tickets they feel they need an app for it then maybe they should start learning where to park.

Hah. I ran a service busisness in a big city. I never paid the meters. 1 ticket was equal to 3-4 days meter parking. But if you got a ticket, you leave it on the vehicle for at least a day. Most wont put a 2nd within a day or so, unless you parked somewhere retarded.

Jobs had to have the cost of the ticket factored in, unless the job had parking. If i made it a week with no ticket, bonus. If i got 2 in a week, it hurt. I had thin margins.

Tell the guy who has to swap out 200 fire extinguishers in 15 properties in one day to learn where to park.

Parking fees are a tax on the working class. F em. I respect the permit areas though, i can't imagine living like that.

Someone making min wage as a deliver person could be set back over a month due to one parking ticket.

I thought the roads were ours, isn't that why all these evil corps gotta pay?

posted on Oct, 16 2015 @ 11:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: ISawItFirst

originally posted by: buster2010

originally posted by: Bluntone22
Sounds like people breaking the law just want to get out of paying the penalty.

One of the rare times we agree. If a person is getting so many tickets they feel they need an app for it then maybe they should start learning where to park.

Hah. I ran a service busisness in a big city. I never paid the meters. 1 ticket was equal to 3-4 days meter parking. But if you got a ticket, you leave it on the vehicle for at least a day. Most wont put a 2nd within a day or so, unless you parked somewhere retarded.

Jobs had to have the cost of the ticket factored in, unless the job had parking. If i made it a week with no ticket, bonus. If i got 2 in a week, it hurt. I had thin margins.

Tell the guy who has to swap out 200 fire extinguishers in 15 properties in one day to learn where to park.

Parking fees are a tax on the working class. F em. I respect the permit areas though, i can't imagine living like that.

Someone making min wage as a deliver person could be set back over a month due to one parking ticket.

I thought the roads were ours, isn't that why all these evil corps gotta pay?

I lived a life like this too, in the past, but as an employee. Regular people working office jobs or in places with a set reporting location and local government officials have NO IDEA how the other half lives. In fact, I'll bet this app had a lot of usage from people who were working in jobs involving deliveries, were drivers or inspectors of some kind.

posted on Oct, 16 2015 @ 04:29 PM
link   
a reply to: infolurker

If they have to do it right, they can't make as much money. Forcing people to come to court, where extra fees are incurred, is preferred to someone actually doing their job, and handling the paperwork. It's always about the money. One place we lived, the city was notorious for suspending the license of people with speeding tickets, even after they were paid, on time, and then charging to reinstate, even after admitting they'd "made an error". The whole thing was a scam. We saw that one personally, and knew others who had seen it as well.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join