posted on Oct, 20 2015 @ 09:14 AM
originally posted by: mbkennel
a reply to: Zaphod58
Other than ADVENT and successors (obvious), what will sixth gen F and F/A series have above the Raptor & LightningII?
6th gen fighter aircraft (current concept referred to a Next Gen Air Dominance or NGAD) are probably going to embrace technologies such as:
* Air Superiority platform (as the term Air Dominance infers)
* Variable cycle engines (think ADVENT), enabling greater fuel efficiency, range and the possibility of supercruise 2.0..
* Separate airframes for USAF and Navy.
Regarding commonality of airframes, it was the theory of the Pentagon that a single airframe would save the DoD money but the lesson learned is that
using one frame for both services increases development costs exponentially plus negatively affects the industrial base. Insiders claim that they
wont make the same mistake again but who knows - it is after all the Pentagon.
* Broadband stealth which almost requires no tail fins to come close to 100%; Which is nearly impossible and brings us to…
* Electronic Attack - already discussed here -
* DEW's - Everyone thinks Lasers (solid state, diode pumped-tunable frequencies ) but also seamlessly tying into EA since any AESA based attack module
would essentially be a DEW.
* Open Architecture - plugin upgradable
* Self Healing skin and Morphing skins along with visual and aural stealth are all technologies that may enter into discussion but are not a
…Am I missing anything?