It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Haley's Comet No More (A Mandela Effect)

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 19 2019 @ 03:38 AM
link   
a reply to: LoneCloudHopper2

So you're saying that Edmund Halley spelt his name with only one L and pronounced it differently in an alternate reality?

Halley
edit on 19/1/2019 by Pilgrum because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2019 @ 01:27 AM
link   
a reply to: Pilgrum

Apparently. I do not know if the ME is due to different realities, or changes in an existing reality, or a 'glitch in the matrix.' But there is something to it.

posted on Jan, 22 2019 @ 01:48 AM
link   
a reply to: LoneCloudHopper2

The article I linked to earlier explains the confusion quite well IMHO:

Pronunciation and spelling There are three pronunciations of the surname Halley. The most common, both in Great Britain[3] and in the United States,[4] is /ˈhæli/ (rhymes with "valley"). This is the personal pronunciation used by most Halleys living in London today.[35] The alternative /ˈheɪli/ is often preferred for the man and the comet by those who grew up with rock and roll singer Bill Haley, who called his backing band his "Comets" after the common pronunciation of Halley's Comet in the United States at the time.[36] Colin Ronan, one of Halley's biographers, preferred /ˈhɔːli/. Contemporary accounts spell his name Hailey, Hayley, Haley, Haly, Halley, Hawley and Hawly, and presumably pronunciations varied similarly.[37] As for his given name, although the spelling "Edmund" is quite common, "Edmond" is what Halley himself used, according to a 1902 article,[1] though a 2007 International Comet Quarterly article disputes this, commenting that in his published works, he used "Edmund" 22 times and "Edmond" only 3 times,[38] with several other variations used as well, such as the Latinised "Edmundus". Much of the debate stems from the fact that, in Halley's own time, English spelling conventions were not yet standardised, and so he himself used multiple spellings.[2]

No mention of ME there but mispronunciation leading to misspelling is a top suspect for this one.
edit on 22/1/2019 by Pilgrum because: (no reason given)

<< 1  2  3   >>

join