It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Haley's Comet No More (A Mandela Effect)

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 10 2015 @ 05:10 PM
link   
Im 50 years old . When I was younger it was always Hayley's comet.
Then somewhere along the line and all of a sudden it seems everybody was referring to it as Halley's comet.
I always thought that the politically correct brigade had done their usual thing and so it wasn't such a big deal to me .

I will however , always refer to it as Haley's comet.

posted on Oct, 10 2015 @ 05:14 PM
link   
1945 Drawing:

www.pacificwrecks.com...

posted on Oct, 10 2015 @ 05:27 PM
link   
Just wondering could this be a geographical thing?

I'm in England and I thought it was Haley's comet, the OP is from Canada ( Canada had links to Britain), could it be an English rather than an American english spelling?

Please don't flame me, not trying to say anything other than tomayto/tomato!

posted on Oct, 10 2015 @ 05:43 PM
link   
Crazy folks messin with minds.

Hay lee

posted on Oct, 10 2015 @ 09:42 PM
link   
I remember it as Haleys comet.

posted on Oct, 10 2015 @ 10:33 PM
link   
I remember when pluto was a planet so it doesn`t matter to me or the comet whether they want to call it hail-lee`s comet or hall- ease comet, the comet is still going to do what`s it`s been doing for thousands of years.

posted on Oct, 10 2015 @ 11:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gideon70
Im 50 years old . When I was younger it was always Hayley's comet.
Then somewhere along the line and all of a sudden it seems everybody was referring to it as Halley's comet.
I always thought that the politically correct brigade had done their usual thing and so it wasn't such a big deal to me

For crying out loud! How the heck is either spelling or pronunciation "politically correct"?

posted on Oct, 11 2015 @ 02:07 AM
link   
a reply to: eugenic

Good point. If you go by the Internet (and culture,) so many people spell and pronounce it "Haley's Comet" that it should have been accepted by now as a common spelling/pronunciation. In my life experience, I never heard of "Halley's Comet."

posted on Oct, 11 2015 @ 03:52 AM
link   
songs/sites/signs/etc with a different spelling are not and can not be proof the Mandela Effect. In that, the universe changes. Or you slip between different but very similar universes. Whatever, however, whether it's a thing or not, point is 'proof' of a change is actually kind of the opposite. Proof that people get confused and not a lot more.

It's always been Halley's, at least as far as my experience of the world goes. I have a family member named Haley so it's always been One of Those Things that comes up occassionally. Again, that's proof of nothing more than my own experiences. Who knows how this whole thing really works?

posted on Oct, 11 2015 @ 04:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: solargeddon
Just wondering could this be a geographical thing?

I'm in England and I thought it was Haley's comet, the OP is from Canada ( Canada had links to Britain), could it be an English rather than an American english spelling?

Please don't flame me, not trying to say anything other than tomayto/tomato!

I'm in Scotland, we don't spell anything differently than you do down in Englandshire...

posted on Oct, 11 2015 @ 09:02 AM
link   
My opinion: the reason so many people are now discovering their memories do not match reality ("this reality" if you want) is because it is being brought to their attention as a result of this being a hot topic online. I think that's indisputable even if you believe in a timeline shift.

You notice it's never the artists' families noticing this or people from New Zealand saying "Gosh, we used to be a lot further north in the sub-tropics with a completely different climate."

It's people who are not close to the subject mostly talking about childhood memories.

posted on Oct, 11 2015 @ 09:06 AM
link   
It's always been Halley's.

Bill Haley and the Comets was word-play on a common misspelling of the astronomer's name.

I would agree, however, that "The Mandela Effect" is a noticeable side effect of our new standards of universal, immediate internet communication ... but it says far more about how human memory works than trans-dimensional shifting.

In my opinion only.

posted on Oct, 11 2015 @ 09:41 AM
link   
a reply to: LoneCloudHopper2
On my bookshelves is a copy of "Starland", a school prize given to my grandfather in 1911.
Also "The story of the heavens", by the astronomer Sir Robert Ball (same provenance).
What I find in the index; "Halley's comet".

The obvious explanation is that "Haley" is a long-standing popular mispronunciation, so the culture will always contain both versions.
So "Mandela effect" is the new name for "people too stubborn to admit they might have got it wrong"?

edit on 11-10-2015 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 11 2015 @ 04:06 PM
link   
And no one ever remembers the alternate timeline where Gore won the election or everyone in North America spoke Portuguese or the Neanderthal didn't go extinct.

Only timelines that can also be explained as people misremembering old memories of maps and word spellings.

posted on Oct, 12 2015 @ 09:52 AM
link   

I'm still waiting for the Tomato comet...

posted on Oct, 12 2015 @ 11:00 AM
link   
And here is the BBC programme from 1986, about the mission of "Giotto" on the arrival of HALLEY's comet.

posted on Oct, 12 2015 @ 01:19 PM
link   

Oh no! Did CERN destroy the earth again so we've jumped
dimensions one more time?

Rebel 5

posted on Oct, 12 2015 @ 02:52 PM
link   
Here's a weird one everybody.I'm not proud of where I ended up a few days ago so if you know where I was reminded of this ...ahhh.

Anyway I was reading an article that brought up the Clinton sex scandals and immediately I thought, "good ole Monica Lewinsky, Linda, Tripp, Terry Nichols, and Bill Clinton."

Does that not seem like an appropriate thought to have at that moment? Cuz according to...well, reality...it's not. According to my memory of a hundred hours of newscasts, pages of print, some cassette recordings, and ole Billy Bob Clinton's own account it's a perfectly rational thing to think.

(oh Bill Clinton...he taught me via television what "sex" meant at a time we couldn't learn about the hush hush words grownups used from simple trips to urban dictionary dot com. Of course, it wasn't until urban dictionary that I verified the definition and realized why I couldn't actually get sex... jumping in bed naked and handing a cigar cutter to a girl saying this will feel amazing wasn't doing the trick it would just send her running off screaming. Boy am I in a cookey mood today)

posted on Oct, 12 2015 @ 10:29 PM
link   
a reply to: AlexandrosTheGreat

I have no idea what you are trying to say. What changed?

posted on Oct, 12 2015 @ 11:56 PM
link   
a reply to: OccamsRazor04

I was gonna wait and see if anyone thought differently but the thread is losing momentum...

Am I right to think you also remember Linda Tripp and Terry Nichols working in tandem behind the scene with phone call recordings? Because suddenly Larry Nichols persuaded Linda Tripp to expose Clinton. Larry!? I dunno, it's just mot easy to mistake a name we all heard no fewer than 100 times over 24+ months and that's a CONSERVATIVE estimate...

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join