It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Speed of Gravity - What the Experiments Say

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 28 2003 @ 08:50 PM
link   
"So what are the benefits that we may gain from harnessing light?"

Ever heard of quantum computers? Well, they involve electron spin and technically electrons emit light as a biproduct of dropping energy levels. I'm sure harnessing light will help to develop quantum computers, better fiber optic lines, holographic storage (3 dimensional storage media), and much faster computer chips. That is just what we know outside of having yet truly harnessed it. The future will undoubtedly hold many more possibilities.

posted on Jul, 1 2003 @ 07:55 AM
link   
What sort of "harnessing" are people thinking of? I mean, from my point of view we have already quite amazing capabilities to manipulate light.

posted on Jul, 2 2003 @ 11:39 AM
link   
"What sort of "harnessing" are people thinking of? I mean, from my point of view we have already quite amazing capabilities to manipulate light."

This is true, but we still only skim the surface. Light carries information, is broken into waves, has particle qualities, has quantum entanglement capabilities (instantaneous information transfer), etc.

The real answer to this question is too big for me to answer. We are talking new types of data storage (hard drives) that don't yet exist. New processors, new cables, new computer designs... and the list will go on. We are still in the infantile stages of light development. We can stop light, speed up light, and channel it through our current technology, but we haven't been able to get "information" usage out of it on a mass level. Quantum computers will be a major leap in technology, but that will take another 20+ years to develop on a mass level. Some say they won't be around for another 50 years.

Light technology could revolutionize technology is almost every sector. We get smaller lasers and more bandwidth with what the light technology we have harnessed thus far. More powerful and more efficient lasers are being created every year now. The blue laser is suppose to become a standard in another 5 years or so. Light technology only skims the surface of new "tiny technologies" that will be hitting the market place. If you want to get into a good career, look into nanotechnology. There are many branches and if the technology hits the markets, it will probably hit big.

e.g. a postage stamp sized memory card for your camera (expected around 2007) will hold over 2 hours worth of video or over 120,000 pictures.

www.sciam.com...

That link is for the article in the January edition of Scientific American... you'll need to go to a library to read the whole thing (or buy it).

Studies being done on cyrstals are also greatly related to studies on "light." As crystal technology unfolds, so will more possibilities for light manipulation.

If I remember correctly, scientists are learning how to digitize information so that we will have unlimited use of the lightwave's whole bandwidth spectra (cosmic rays to radio waves). Light is actually more than the visible spectra because it is the electromagnetic spectra that actually exists. Remember that science must look beyond the abilities of the eyes and discover the real underlying substance that creates the technologies you see today.

Well, that's about everything I know on the subject to date. I hope that answers your question.

<< 1   >>

join