It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Speed of Gravity - What the Experiments Say

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 10 2003 @ 09:51 PM
link   
The Speed of Gravity - What the Experiments Say

There are new scientific studies which show there is in fact a speed
faster than light. New evidence which is currently meeting the trials
of intense scientific peer reviews, show the "speed of gravity" is at
least one hundred times faster than light. Some researchers suggest a
thousand times faster than the speed of light.

Phimes

posted on Jun, 10 2003 @ 09:57 PM
link   
I Knew It!!!! You just wait. When they start REALLY understanding gravity, they will have accomplished a HUGE step-wise advancement toward the unified theory.

THIS is interesting. Thanks for sharing.

posted on Jun, 10 2003 @ 10:06 PM
link   
I'm not so sure the speed of gravity is so fast. I have been able to catch thngs in mid fall, does that make me faster than gravity and light. Or am I just another Bruce Lee?

posted on Jun, 11 2003 @ 03:38 PM
link   
wel of course the speed of gravity is faster than the speed of light...

A black hole proved that.

posted on Jun, 11 2003 @ 04:06 PM
link   
i question all of the above
is it the speed of gravity or the power of gravity?
it is the power that pulls the light into the hole not the speed
the speed of light increases by the power of gravity, that is why it disappears
some theorize that there is no gravity
only the force of dark matter [ 70-90 percent of the known universe] exerting pressure as it expands, thats why there are black holes in our known universe which in turn creates other universes'
all the time pulling matter and light from our known universe to create the big bang in the next one
cellular procreation

tut tut

p.s. there are others that theorize there is no gravity because Earth Sucks choose your theory

posted on Jun, 12 2003 @ 08:11 AM
link   
The speed of gravity is probably defined as the propagation of the gravitational force through vacuum. This means that when you have two bodies and they are only attracted to each other by the gravitational force, and you start moving one of the bodies, by using say a rocket booster, when the other object would know that the boosted object started moving.

posted on Jun, 14 2003 @ 10:48 PM
link   
If you look at the picture on the link provided, you'll see what Einstein discovered. Space and time are linked as spacetime, a fabric-like vacuum (a perhaps material space). Gravity is the rippling effect that pulls the spacetime fabric towards a given gravitational mass. A black hole takes this to the extreme by pulling with such a force that the energy of light cannot be propelled in a given direction fast enough to escape once it has hit the event horizon. Understand, though, that forward velocity, substance, and propagation are all different points to measure. Don't confuse a speed (velocity) with propagation.

Propagation determines how long it will take a gravitational force to effect its surroundings. In other words, if a star forms a lightyear away from a planet, and the propagational speed of gravity is the speed of light, it will take one year before that planet feels the effects of the newly formed star. Technically, light follows the contours of spacetime and that is why light disappears into a blackhole, thus why we call it a "black-" "-hole."

Think of throwing a stone into a lake and watching the ripples... that's what gravity IS according to general relativity. The velocity that those ripples are moving at is the propagation, which is NOT the accelerating force that pulls objects towards the gravitational mass. Of course, if there is a boat in the water, it will sway with the ripples of the waves. For complex reactions (multiple ripples from multiple sources acting on multiple boats), you must refer to Chaos Theory ... which is an insane compilation of mathematics and scientific discovery.

"is it the speed of gravity or the power of gravity?"

I hope the above answers your question. Power is actually a measurement of work done, while velocity is a measurement of movement over time. The article is testing for propagational velocities.

"it is the power that pulls the light into the hole not the speed"

Don't use the term "power." What you are referring to is the escape velocity of a gravity well. Yes, that is different than propagation.

"the speed of light increases by the power of gravity, that is why it disappears"

No, the speed of light only changes velocities when going through different mediums/materials. Gravity simply changes the direction of light and then traps it inside the event horizon. That is why you see a blackhole. The light on the inside of the blackhole cannot overcome the pull to get outside of it because the escape velocity is too high for the trapped light. Right outside of the event horizon, the gases get superheated and give off jetstreams in the opposite direction of the blackhole's pull. These galaxies are known as quasars.

"some theorize that there is no gravity
only the force of dark matter [ 70-90 percent of the known universe] exerting pressure as it expands, thats why there are black holes in our known universe which in turn creates other universes'"

Who? Gravity is a fundamental force. Dark matter may exhibit gravitational properties, if dark matter exists, but that does not mean that gravity is dark matter. Actually, most of the universe is dark energy. Of course, that could possibly turn into dark matter, seeing that E=mc^2 and E/c^2=m. Dark matter is probably just the name for the types of substances in the universe that we cannot detect, but know effect the surrounding area. If I kick you in the dark, you cannot see me, but the effects are known and the leg does exist. That is the premise for dark matter and dark energy. Blackholes do not create other universes, but they do help to form galaxies and then clean up the mess (vacuum cleaners, if you will).

"all the time pulling matter and light from our known universe to create the big bang in the next one
cellular procreation"

No. There are many theories as to what blackholes do with the stuff it sucks up. Some think it is spewed out as the dark matter and energy. Others believe it is given off as radiation according to quantum principles. They may blow up and create a new galaxy for all I know, but I don't think you can use the term "universe" for what a blackhole does with what it consumes. "Uni" means one. There will always be only one universe per dimension, even if we use terms like "multiverse." The idea of the universe is the one final picture that sums up all things that happen in our existence. For some reason, people are trying to claim it means, "the thing that holds galaxies." That is incorrect by the definition of the universe. Remember that solar systems and galaxies did not exist at one point, but they were all referred to as the universe... now we know better than to refer to either of them as the universe.

"p.s. there are others that theorize there is no gravity because Earth Sucks choose your theory"

Earth does suck. In more than one way. I think that proves gravity, not vice verse.

I hope this cleared up some misunderstandings.

posted on Jun, 15 2003 @ 12:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Protector
If you look at the picture on the link provided, you'll see what Einstein discovered. Space and time are linked as spacetime, a fabric-like vacuum (a perhaps material space). Gravity is the rippling effect that pulls the spacetime fabric towards a given gravitational mass. A black hole takes this to the extreme by pulling with such a force that the energy of light cannot be propelled in a given direction fast enough to escape once it has hit the event horizon.
Earth does suck. In more than one way. I think that proves gravity, not vice verse.

I hope this cleared up some misunderstandings.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

thank you Sir,

for clarifying my thoughts, for that is all that they were. I shall copy to my disk for futur thought. I had no idea that anyone was listening or reading or comprehending, thank you very much for your insights and response

Tut

posted on Jun, 18 2003 @ 11:45 AM
link   
Ask more questions. I'd be happy to answer them. If I don't know the answer, I'll look one up. Science is interesting and I believe more people should take a part in exploring what science has to offer.

posted on Jun, 19 2003 @ 06:04 PM
link   
Protector?

So your basically saying that Matter equals Gravity then?

regards
seekerof

posted on Jun, 19 2003 @ 08:15 PM
link   
seekerof:

"So your basically saying that Matter equals Gravity then?"

Matter causes a gravitational field. Suns/stars, being extremely large, create a very strong gravitational field, as do planets large in size, such as Jupiter. Next comes the regular planets and shrinks all the way down to the idea of quantum gravity. Microgravity is the name we give to the acceration of gravity on Earth (9.81 m/s^2)--just for reference. When a star explodes the matter on the outer layers explode outward into a supernova, while the inner matter implodes into a neutron star or a black hole. The star has to be very large to collapse into a blackhole because the matter required to bend spacetime to a "breaking point" is quite large. Therefore, a very large core of a star must implode to create a blackhole or else it will always be a neutron star (an extremely dense star).

The cause of gravity on a quantum level is still unknown. The "graviton" is theorized for creating a gravitational field on the quantum level, while the shear mass of matter at the macroscopic level (extremely large level) bends spacetime into an indentation of sorts. Matter causes gravity, but is not gravity itself... like a tuning fork has a specific pitch, but that fork is not composed of the pitch, the pitch is given off by the fork.

I hope that answers your question.

posted on Jun, 19 2003 @ 08:18 PM
link   
Yes, and thank you.

regards
seekerof

posted on Jun, 22 2003 @ 12:34 PM
link   
Good job protector, i study engineering and physics and i get irritated when people present false information or misuse language to describe natural phenomena.

I would be interested in your ideas about the unification theory, u2u me sometime.

posted on Jun, 28 2003 @ 12:02 AM
link   

posted on Jun, 28 2003 @ 01:01 AM
link   

Some researchers suggest a
thousand times faster than the speed of light.

Do you think this implies that if we successfully harness the speed of gravity, it is only a matter of time before we harness light?

posted on Jun, 28 2003 @ 01:04 AM
link   
Thats a very distinct possibility MKULTRA.

regards
seekerof

posted on Jun, 28 2003 @ 01:08 AM
link   
We are very close to harnessing light as it is. Gravity tends to be more ellusive because the gravitational waves predicted by Einstein are extremely large and hard to detect unless we had a black hole right next us. Gravity is something that occurs on a very large scale, so our only real probably is finding out how to make it work for us on our level, which is a fairly small level. We tend to come across even more problems as everything shrinks even further into the quantum level, where gravity is basically infinitely small and other forces take over.

posted on Jun, 28 2003 @ 01:48 AM
link   
Intersting topic. The consept of being able to harness light would be somthing but there I dont belive that It is possible to bend or maniuplate light. We are not that far advanced yet I would say 500 or so more years of research.

I know a guy down in california that is working on using the power of a colapsing magnetic feild to create energy. He has found as well as others that a magnetic felid is formed before energy comes in contact with a conductor. The magnetic feild is only tempary but it is a intersting consept.

relitivity creates gravity? or is it only part of the whole that we dont yet see time will tell.

Falcon

posted on Jun, 28 2003 @ 05:00 PM
link   
"The consept of being able to harness light would be somthing but there I dont belive that It is possible to bend or maniuplate light."

Look at some back issues of Scientific American and Discover magazine and you'll find how wrong you are. We already can bring light to a halt, as well as speed it up to up to 4 times its original velocity. Bending light occurs all the time... it is called "gravity." Gravity naturally bends spacetime and therefore the light travels along the spacetime, bending with its shape. That is how we can see blackholes and tell how far away stars are.

"We are not that far advanced yet I would say 500 or so more years of research."

Try about 2-5 years "ago."

"I know a guy down in california that is working on using the power of a colapsing magnetic feild to create energy."

Well, he may be manipulating energy to making it useful, but I don't think he's creating it out of the blue. You need to remember the Law of Conservation of Energy. This means you don't create or destroy energy, you only change it from form to form, such as current, sound, or friction (heat).

"He has found as well as others that a magnetic felid is formed before energy comes in contact with a conductor. The magnetic feild is only tempary but it is a intersting consept."

Yes, they are used for energy experiments everywhere in the world. Magnets have a number of odd properties that science is attempting to harness.

"relitivity creates gravity? or is it only part of the whole that we dont yet see time will tell."

Relativity explains gravity. Gravity is the curvature of spacetime. That is the whole picture. Of course, this implies many things beyond the scope of the average person.

posted on Jun, 28 2003 @ 05:10 PM
link   
So what are the benefits that we may gain from harnessing light?

I wish I'd listened when I took Physics in school

top topics

<<   2 >>

join