It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Peter Cook Voted English Speaking Worlds Top Comedian.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 2 2005 @ 05:24 AM
link   
A panel of 300 members of the comedy fraternity have voted Peter Cook top comedian. The poll conducted by Britain's Channel 4 television placed John Cleese second and Woody Allen third.

www.news.com.au
PETER Cook was picked today as the English-speaking world's most talented comedian in a poll of more than 300 comics, comedy writers, producers and directors on both sides of the Atlantic.

The British comedian, who first rose to fame in the satirical show Beyond The Fringe, took the title ahead of Monty Python star John Cleese.

Canadian Mike Myers, famed for his role as Austin Powers, said of Cook's quirky and distinctive humour: "I didn't know dirty words could be done that artfully."

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Personally, i don't really go for these "votes", like best movie, best song type awards. It's impossible because there are too many to choose from. But, i must say Peter Cook was very funny especially when he teamed with Dudley Moore.

posted on Jan, 2 2005 @ 05:35 AM
link   
not certain I agree. I think of Spike Milligan and Tommy Cooper as being equal if not superior to Peter Cook, and funnier than John Cleese or Woody Allen.

posted on Jan, 2 2005 @ 05:51 AM
link   
Ah yes, Spike Milligan. He was one of the best, his books are comic genius.

Sanc'.

posted on Jan, 2 2005 @ 07:05 AM
link   
I'm personally engaged to an executive transvestite, so there's no possible way I could vote for any one else. I think this must have been pulled off through the cunning use of flags or something.

posted on Jan, 2 2005 @ 07:14 AM
link   
Val', do executive transvestites like Harleys? Just wondering.

Sanc'.

posted on Jan, 2 2005 @ 12:49 PM
link   
it was more like 'british comedians comedian'. no jim carrey, no chris rock...come on those guys are better than bob monkhouse and harry hill. i think most comedians are also quite jealous hence ricky gervais being 49. he should have been alot higher than that. it just seemed like a random placing of most of the comedians. i dont think cook should have been number 1, he was fantastic doing derek and clive but honestly i think cleese should have had the number 1 spot. if it was the publics choice it would have been a very very different order.

posted on Jan, 2 2005 @ 01:04 PM
link   
Yes but the public are harldy qualified to make such a decision in their entirety. Not every member of society would be familiar with all the top, legendary or current comedians, nor would they all have been willing to devote time to considering, nor would they all be impartial. A public vote would be considerably less accurate than this one. I'm not certain why such things are needed at all really, as everyone is going to have their own personal top comedian, irrespective of what a tv poll, or anything else for that matter, decides.

posted on Jan, 2 2005 @ 03:10 PM
link   
A well deserved win for Mr Cook in my eyes.

posted on Jan, 2 2005 @ 03:14 PM
link   
Peter Cook voted as English speaking world's Top Comedian ?

What about the Laurel and Hardy of Politics - Bush & Blair ?

top topics

join