It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Darkness {Halloween2015}

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 2 2015 @ 08:59 AM
link   
I've never liked it here.

That thought entered the girl's mind every time she'd walk through the front doors to her suburban home, or when she'd stroll into a grocery store, or arrive at school. All the outfits, lightly colored and flattering, along with the bright florescent lighting--and those damn teachers, who, just like her parents, spend their lives under the impression that they're undoubtedly doing the right thing while they indoctrinate younger minds with their misguided teachings and beliefs. In truth, there was nothing right about this world. In a country that so heavily approves of war, where the wealthy treat the ninety-nine percent like a slave race, and where bullies run rampant in the schools the way predators roam the wild--how could anyone have the nerve to call it 'right?' Teachers allowed the bullies to target her, and the bullies never faced any consequences for it. It was the same at home, where her younger siblings would steal and break her belongings very knowingly, but because she, Alison, was the oldest out of the five, she was expected to handle it like an adult and turn the other cheek. Her teachers and her parents weren't justified--they simply didn't care. Same as her brothers and sisters. Same as everyone else.

Alison's hand skimmed over a black, plastic crow on the shelf. She stood in the seasonal section of the store, where Halloween decorations were dominating at least three of the isles. The fake feathers on the plastic crow were incredibly soft to the touch, and as she gazed into one of the false eyes of the creature, she found herself wishing that it would come to life in her grasp.

It was seven in the evening, and Alison had just stormed out of her house after having yet another fight with her mother. Her father had returned home during the spat, but he hadn't expressed any interest in the ordeal. He merely walked passed them and entered the living room, paying his family no mind, as usual. And her mother had just grounded her because she'd yelled at her little brother--who, incidently, had stolen one of her sketch books and stained it with fruit punch, by accident. Well, why should she get upset over many of her favorite drawings being ruined by that little smug-smiling snot nosed brat? In her mother's mind, Alison was wrong. Simple as that. It didn't matter what had happened.

The Halloween decorations made her feel oddly at home. Alison wondered why she'd always been drawn to the crows, the pumpkins, the dangling corpses in hoods, and the glow-in-the-dark skeletons that always seemed to be smiling when she'd look at them. This wasn't the first time she had absconded from her home, and it certainly wouldn't be the last. But every time she ran from her family, she wished more and more that she wouldn't have to return home. Alison hated her family; her mother was a screaming, cursing lunatic that yelled at everyone around her, while her father was a cheating, whoring bastard that seemingly didn't care about his family at all. It was sickening, seeing her prim-and-proper family acting the part of the friendly neighbor or the selfless humanitarian whenever they'd be out in public, but behind closed doors in their over priced house, they were both monsters. The two of them were just like everyone else; smiling and accepting on the outside, but made of nothing but darkness beneath the shell.

I wish they'd die, Alison thought bitterly. I wish they'd all just kill each other.

When she stared into one of the reflective serial killer masks, she was vaguely able to make out a distorted reflection of her face. Her short black hair barely reached the top of her neck, and her brown eyes were big, shiny, and tired--too tired for a sixteen year old girl like herself.

Maybe that was why nobody seemed to respect her as a human being. Alison was certainly nothing special to look at; she was just a pale girl with dark hair and dark eyes, who always seemed to be hiding inside of a gigantic hoodie and who never talked to anyone and never smiled, even when she was alone. Of course nobody looked at her twice--why the hell would they?

These false black crows were better than her family, her teachers, or her peers at school. They wore their darkness on the outside. They didn't have anything to hide at all. They, at least, were honest--and they weren't even real living creatures.

Alison wasn't sure how long she stood around and stared at all the different decorations before leaving the store. By the time she stepped outside, night had fallen, but she wasn't about to head home yet.

Anywhere was better than there.

-Continued-

edit on Xx53390931AM109 by XxNightAngelusxX because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 2 2015 @ 09:32 AM
link   
Alison wandered away from the shopping center and stepped into the grass, approaching the forest and not looking back. There was no telling where she was headed, but it didn't matter, as long as it took her further from her house.

After a while, her eyes adjusted to the darkness, and she marched onto a secluded railroad and followed it for about ten minutes, aiming her steps at the old wooden planks as she did. Thnk, thnk, thnk.

A tunnel came into view.

The tunnel ran underneath a mountain, but it didn't have any lights like the tunnels meant for cars did. It was an endless void of blackness; Alison became drawn towards it.

Alison vanished into the shadows, allowing the pitch black tunnel to engulf her completely.

Maybe a train will run me over and I won't have to worry about going home.

Contrary to thinking this, Alison followed the tunnel out of sheer curiosity more than anything. For some reason or another, Alison wanted to see where this tunnel led and what was on the other side. She walked for nearly half an hour before she began to second guess her decision. Her toes would smash into the wooden planks because she wasn't able to see her own footsteps anymore. It was getting annoying.

"Excuse me." A voice spoke out, making Alison freeze mid step. "Hello? Who's there?"

Alison stood in the center of the railroad as stiff as a tree, her hands curling shut and her heart beginning to pound. Her eyes gazed into the darkness, but of course, she wasn't able to see anyone.

"Hello?" The voice called again. "Is someone there?"

It was a soft, kind voice, one Alison had never heard before.

Should I respond? Alison thought. Maybe it's a hobo... or a lunatic...

Gulping, Alison took a step backwards.

"Ouch!" The voice cried when her shoe flattened on top of something solid.

Alison jumped and scrambled away. What just happened? Did I just step on someone? Is someone laying on the railroad?

That didn't make sense. It felt as though she'd stepped on something very hard, like a rock or a stick. Whatever it was, it certainly didn't feel like a body part.

"Oh my, I think that was my funny bone." The voice echoed from seemingly nowhere. "Could you pick it up for me? I'd put myself back together, but I can't see very well in here."

-Continued-

edit on Xx53990931AM109 by XxNightAngelusxX because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 2 2015 @ 10:38 AM
link   
Alison blinked. I couldn't have heard that right...

"If I'm not mistaken, I think I'm right at your feet." The voice said. "My head, I mean. Could you grab me, please? I'll have to put myself back together like a puzzle, and I'll need some help..."

"Um..." Alison knelt and groped around in the darkness, until her hands made contact with a round, hard object. She lifted the skull and held it very close to her face, squinting at it and trying to see it clearly.

"Hello there." The skull said kindly, its jaw moving with every syllable it spoke.

Alison's heart skipped a beat. This can't be real.

"Um... hi." She replied blankly.

"Oh wow, you're someone new!" The skull exclaimed. "I've never met anyone new before. Oh my... you must have come from the other world! Oh, how exciting! Oh, yes--I was venturing in the tunnel, and I think I may have traveled a little too far. A train came and hit me, broke all my bones apart and scattered them everywhere. I'm sorry to burden you like this, but can you help me find them?"

"Sure." Alison agreed. I must be dreaming.

After a moment of patting her hand around on the gravel, Alison wrapped her fingers around what felt like a spine. She picked it up and caressed it, realizing that it still had the ribs and a few other bones attached, so she placed the skull on the top of the spinal cord. There was a flash of sparkling red light at the connection; the skull and the spine latched onto each other like magnets. Alison was so startled that she nearly dropped the incomplete skeleton.

"Very good!" The skeleton said.

Alison managed to find the arms and the legs shortly afterwards. They all connected to the skeleton the same way, with a searing red light and a sudden magnetic pull. Soon, the entire skeleton was put together.

"Thanks a lot!" The skeleton said gratefully, standing upright and opening and closing its bony fingers. "Oh, that feels much better. Now, I think I should introduce myself properly. My name is Steven, it's very nice to meet you."

Steven the skeleton extended his fleshless hand.

Alison grasped it and returned the handshake. I can't believe this...

"My name's Alison."

"Oh, that's a wonderful name." Steven said. "Oh, my.... now I understand..."

The bones of his hand grazed her cheek lightly, and he stared into her face very intently.

"You have beautiful red eyes." He told her. "You're one of them, aren't you?"

"One of who?" Alison asked in bewilderment. "My eyes are brown, not red."

"Oh no, your eyes are a deep crimson, dear. And they're quite beautiful, too. They're practically glowing in this darkness." Steven said. "My, I can hardly believe my luck. I've run into one of them out here. You're one of the humans from the other world... and not just any human. You're one of the humans infected with the light of our world. You must be, if you're capable of crossing from one world to the other. Not to mention those red eyes."

"What're you talking about?" Alison questioned, trying to hide her rising anxiousness.

"Come with me, and I'll show you." Steven replied. "That is... if you really want to know."

-Continued-

edit on Xx542101031AM1010 by XxNightAngelusxX because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 3 2015 @ 03:55 PM
link   
a reply to: XxNightAngelusxX

Alright, now you must continue or I will be very disappointed.

posted on Oct, 3 2015 @ 04:31 PM
link   
a reply to: grayeagle

I KNOW right? Waiting for the wife in ASDA car park and really enjoyed it. Wanting more.

posted on Oct, 4 2015 @ 10:21 AM
link   
I'll be doing more soon!

I just got done editing my novel and I've finally sent it off. Now, i should have just a little bit more spare time for writing on other projects. Expect more later today, and thanks for reading!

posted on Oct, 5 2015 @ 07:35 AM
link   
Steve took Alison by the hand and led her further into the darkness.

They walked in silence for a little while.

"Where are we going?" Alison finally asked. "Won't the tunnel just... lead to the other side of the mountain?"

"Oh, most certainly." Steve replied. "The mountain is a temporal junction point between your world and mine. It's the bridge... or tunnel... between the two worlds. You see, everyone in my world is gifted with the light. But humans in your world are almost completely void of it."

"The light?"

"Yes. The light is our power... it is our life force. It is what keeps a skinny bag of bones like me sentient. We, that is to say, me and my family on the other side, we are mostly dependent on the light in order to survive. But humans have progressed without it; they have been mostly absent of the light for many years, and their spirituality has been replaced by... other things. Automobiles, and cell phones, and... and American Idol. What is American Idol, anyway?"

"So, only people who have the light can travel from one side to the other?" Alison asked. "Does that mean that I have it?"

"Oh yes." Steven responded. "Your eyes are a fiercer red than anyone I've ever seen. It's quite exciting to think i'm bringing a guest home, too. I never thought I'd actually... you know... run into one of you in the tunnel. I'd always hoped, though."

The skeleton spoke with a tone that sounded almost giddy.

Alison empathized with him. I never thought I'd find a real life Halloween creature, either.

The light at the end of the tunnel came into view about five minutes later.

It was night time, but the darkness didn't look anywhere near as bleak and black as Alison's regular nights did; the sky shone a vibrant blueish-purple, the stars illuminating the sky and the moon hovering overhead like a massive, ominous beacon. The moon looked much bigger than Alison had ever seen it. The sky was still dark, but somehow, it was glowing...

Alison had never seen such a beautiful place before.

"This is my home." Steven said proudly, grasping her hand a little more tightly. "Welcome."

-Continued-

posted on Oct, 5 2015 @ 07:39 AM
link   
Really good, enjoying this!

posted on Oct, 11 2015 @ 11:57 PM
link   
ooooh, good story so far!

posted on Oct, 15 2015 @ 05:10 PM
link   
Hey! it's not fair!
Where is the rest of the story?

posted on Oct, 16 2015 @ 07:37 AM
link   
a reply to: XxNightAngelusxX

I am intrigued so far!! Please finish this story!! Until then, I reserve My Star and Flag for You... (Deserved so far but We need some closure here!!) LOL!! Syx...

posted on Oct, 18 2015 @ 05:14 PM
link   
Sorry everyone! I tend to work on a lot of stories at once. This one will have its ending before Hallow's Eve daunts on our doorsteps, I swear on my nonexistent grave!

More to come soon!

posted on Oct, 19 2015 @ 02:27 PM
link   
"This looks like a movie..." Alison muttered, marveling at the new world before her.

It was truly a sight to behold.

"Come on!" Steven said cheerfully as he led her onward.

They both walked until they reached what appeared to be a ranch, but in this world, it looked more like a haunted mansion. It had a barn and a few chicken pens, as well as acres of land that held a variety of dark animals.

"Stevey!" The voice of an old woman entered the scene. "Where have you been, eh?"

The woman was short, stout, and a little pudgy. Her long dark hair lie frayed and unkempt over the sides of her face, while a roughly knitted hat sat on top of the mangy hairdo and tried to keep it in tact. Upon closer inspection, Alison was able to see that the old hat had a round rim and a flopped-over point, almost like a handmade witch's hat. The woman's clothing was just as rough; it was very crudely stitched, and, for all Alison knew, this woman could have found numerous articles of discarded clothing and sewn them all together to manifest her current garment.

The woman ran around the corner of the large black building and approached the skeleton, her wrinkled face forming into a smile.

"Mother, I've brought a guest home." Steven told the woman. "Her name is Alison."

"I see... and you brought her from the tunnel, eh?" The woman glanced off towards the mountain where the tunnel resided. "Oh lord have mercy, deary. You brought home a human from the other side, you know that? You have any idea how big of a deal that is? You bone headed dingus!"

The woman hammered her fist on Steven's bare skull a few times. Her knuckles made a few hollow knock-ing noises when they made contact with his head.

"Ouch--mother--please stop!" Steven backed away. "She had already crossed the border when I found her! Well, actually, I guess it'd be more appropriate to say that she found me."

"What on earth are you jabbering about?" The woman squawked. "Well, come on, bring her inside. I won't have any hungry guests passing through my neck of the woods. Not today, no sir. Alison, is it? What on earth are you wearing? Come inside, my dear. I've got something much better for you to wear. You won't fit in around here dressed like that."

Alison and Steven followed the woman without speaking. Alison wasn't sure what to make of the old woman, but she still hadn't wrapped her mind around the fact that she had entered an entirely new world, either. Nothing would surprise her right now.

"My name's Mahilda, deary." The old woman told Alison. "You can call me Mahilda, or Mamaw, or Mom. Whatever you like."

"Yes, ma'am." Alison replied.

"Except that. Don't call me ma'am." Mahilda retorted. "Call me anything but Ma'am. I hate ma'am."

When they approached the front door of the black ranch, two more figures came into view. Alison blinked several times as she stared at them, wondering if her eyes were playing tricks on her.

"Maaaaw!" One of the strangers--the biggest, burliest, and hairiest man Alison had ever seen--growled at Mahilda from yards away. "Garth ain't lettin' me eat my dinner! I'm hungry! I ain't fed all day!"

"Table manners apply to everyone in the family, including you, you mongrel." The second figure, a tall, slim individual in a long black overcoat, replied to the hairy man. "We don't start dinner until everyone is at the table. Mother's own rules."

"That's easy for you to say!" The hairy man snapped. "You can get by just sipping on blood in a wine glass--but I need meat! I'm wastin' away over here! Come on!"

"Shut up, you miserable idiots." Mahilda ordered them both. "It doesn't matter, because everyone is home now. Come on, inside, all of you. We have a guest tonight. Her name is Alison. Treat her with respect, make her feel at home, so on and so forth..."

"Yes, mother." The tall stranger said.

"Yeah, yeah, suck up all you want." The hairy person snarled. "You're a momma's boy, Garth. You sicken me, y'know that? You're disgusting. You're like a grown man in diapers."

"The opinion of a mongrel hardly fazes me, Raddince." The tall person replied. "You heard our mother. Inside."

Mahilda opened the door to their home, allowing the light from inside to reach out onto the front porch. Alison squinted at the two strangers named Garth and Raddince; Garth was a lanky, sleek man with stringy black hairs that reached the top of his neck. He had a beautiful face with shimmering red eyes, and the collar of his outfit stuck up so high it was nearly level with his cheekbones. The inside of the cloak was a deep crimson red, while the rest of it was as black as a shadow. The second stranger, Raddince, was not quite as human as Alison had first guessed; he had fur all over, and a normal pair of jeans with a button-up shirt that covered much of his dog-like body. His face harbored an elongated snout, and his head carried two pointy ears. His hands didn't look like hands at all; they were paws with fully functional fingers and very large claws attached.

Alison took in a deep, anxious breath.

A vampire and a werewolf, she thought. Garth is a vampire, and Raddince is a werewolf. Oh man, this day can't get any weirder...

edit on Xx13120231PM102 by XxNightAngelusxX because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 19 2015 @ 05:53 PM
link   
Stepping into the home reminded Alison of why she loved Halloween stores so very much; the large home had numerous Halloween decorations strewn about, glowing pumpkin lights, false animal statues standing near the door, portraits of witches, ghosts, and goblins (which were not actually decorative, they were pictures of Mahilda's distant family members), as well as many other things. This was probably how their home looked on a regular basis. This entire world seemed to have a Halloween theme, so it made sense that their home did as well.

"Welcome to our humble abode." Raddince the werewolf said, thumping her on the back with one of his gigantic paws and nearly knocking the wind out of her. When Alison met his gaze, she realized that Raddince had a pair of large, golden eyes, which probably would have terrified anyone else. "What's yer name? Alison?"

Alison nodded.

"Alrighty, Alison, welcome." Raddince's lips curled in a way that made Alison think he was attempting to smile, but really, he was just flashing his fangs at her. "You a friend of Steve's, or...?"

"Yes, she's my guest." Steven appeared by her side and shooed Raddince's hand away. "Paws off, if you please. Mother is about to serve dinner."

"You really think I'd eat some random innocent girl?!" Raddince exclaimed. "You ain't got no faith in me! You sorry bag of bones! Jus' go sit at the table so I can eat already!"

"A girl, you say..." Garth hunched over and examined Alison very closely. "A very beautiful girl. Oh, and what stunning red eyes you have..."

"No, no, no." Steven placed one of his index fingers on Garth's forehead and gently pushed him backwards. "Come now. Can't I just bring a friend home without you two oggling her like she's prey?"

"Since when do you have friends?" Garth asked.

"Enough talking! Food time!" Raddince declared, just before wrapping one of his massive hands around Steven's spine and forcefully escorting him into the hallway. Alison and the family then entered the largest room of the house; Mahilda's dining room. The food on the table was comparable to a Thanksgiving dinner, complete with a freshly cooked turkey in the center of it all. It smelled delicious.

"Hold on, hold on!" Mahilda cried. "Everyone sit down--except you, deary, come'ere. I've got something that'll look great on you. You walk around in those old rags, and some hungry werewolf might mistake you for a hobo. The criminals always eat the hobos. They know they'll get away with eating someone who doesn't have a family to notice they're gone."

Alison allowed Mahilda to drag her further down the hallway and into her bedroom. The room almost looked like an antique shop featuring exclusively Halloween items.

The thought of hungry werewolves roaming the streets and eating people sent a shiver down her back. How likely was it that she'd be eaten by someone in this world?

"Here you go, dear." Mahilda slapped a long, black gown over her head. "Go and get changed in the bathroom and meet us at the dinner table. Everybody around here knows what my outfits look like. Nobody'll lay a finger on you if they know you're one of mine."

Alison did as she was told. It took her a few minutes to find the bathroom--which, like the rest of the place, was filled with Halloween decor. Once her old clothes were removed, Alison examined her new outfit in the mirror. It wasn't as crude as Mahilda's apparel, and the black gown covered her knees and part of her shins, so it wasn't very revealing. That was a good thing. This outfit had a simple charm to it. It made her feel much lighter.

Steven waved for her to sit beside him when she returned to the dining room. Raddince had already devoured half of the turkey and the rest of the family was scrambling to claim some of the meat before it would all vanish. Garth sipped on a glass filled with red liquid. Alison couldn't tell if it was blood, or wine.

"Here you are." Steven slid a plate over to her. "I thought I would make you a plate before my brother ate everything in sight. Mother is a fantastic cook. You'll love it, I'm sure."

"Thank you." Alison said gratefully before taking her first bite of turkey. "Oh man, this is yummy!"

"Isn't it?" Steven replied.

The shadow underneath Alison's seat began to shift and distort. Alison, who became lost in her meal, didn't notice it until the shadow began to climb her leg. A wave of cold air crept up her thigh, making her jump and scoot back in alarm.

In her lap sat a tiny ball of darkness, a sentient shadow with two tiny red eyes that peered up at her innocently. Alison's hands were raised, her mouth drooping and her eyes wide and stupefied.

"Oh, that's Shadow." Steven told her. "Don't worry. He's our pet. He's harmless."

Shadow let out a squeak, then took the form of a little black bat and flew into the air, fluttering its wings over the table and hovering around everyone as they ate. Alison was stunned, and Steven chuckled.

"He's a shape shifter." Steven said. "He loves being a bat. Bats are his favorite."

posted on Oct, 19 2015 @ 06:27 PM
link   
Shadow grew tired of flying. He hit the floor and morphed into a black cat, then hopped back onto Alison's lap and curled into a ball.

"He seems to like you." Steven told her.

Dinner didn't last much longer. This family ate rather quickly, and while Alison proceeded to clean her plate, Garth gave her a few lingering stares from across the table, and Mahilda was quick to scold the vampire for it. Steven was the only one who wasn't eating. Alison figured it wouldn't make much sense for a skeleton to eat. Steven didn't have a stomach, after all. Where would the food go?

"Was it good?" Steven asked her.

"Oh yeah. It was awesome." Alison replied. "My mom never cooks. Me and my family never sit at the table together like this. This is really nice."

"I'm glad." Steven said. "When you're finished, come with me, and I'll show you where to sleep. That is, if you're staying tonight. I thought you might not want to walk all the way back to your world now. It's a little late."

"Sure, I can spend the night here." Alison grinned. I might never go back home. I love this place.

"You're free to stay as long as you like, so long as you don't mind doing a few chores." Mahilda said. "That's my rule. Everybody's family, but everybody pitches in."

"Definitely." Alison agreed.

"Come." Steven stood and led her out of the dining room. "You can stay in my room. I think I'll sleep in the barn tonight. I've been neglecting the animals, you see. I think they miss me."

Shadow pranced at Alison's feet and followed her up the creaky stairs. Steven motioned to the furthest room to the left, the one overlooking the farmland behind the building. Steven's bed sat beside a huge window, and the view was magnificent.

"You're not..." Alison muttered. "I mean..."

"Hmm?"

"You're not gonna sleep inside tonight?"

"Oh, you can have my bed. I don't mind."

"No, I mean..."

Alison sighed. It was difficult trying to convey her thoughts to him. Raddince and Garth seemed nice enough, but Alison couldn't shake the feeling that she might get eaten by one of them if Steven were to leave her alone in the house.

Steven cocked his head at her. "You're worried about my brothers."

Alison swallowed. "Y-yeah. Kinda."

"Rest assured, they're very timid souls. They can't help what they are any more than I can." Steven said. "You needn't worry about them. Mahilda looks after them because they're kind souls who need guidance. I suspect that's why she adopted all of us. Trust me. No harm will come to you here. Now... good night, Alison. Sleep well."

Steven gave her a wave and exited the room.

Alison tried to make herself comfy in Steven's small bed, the scent of it oddly calming. The silence engulfing the room became very apparent after Steven was no longer in her company, though she was able to hear Garth and Raddince bickering downstairs...

This is a real family. Alison thought with a smirk. This is how a real family should be. Family dinners, funny little fights, and a parent who takes care of everyone...

About an hour went by, and Alison still wasn't able to sleep. She found Steven's confined room cozy rather than suffocating, but for some reason or another, she still wasn't able to sleep.

Feeling as restless as ever, Alison rose from the bed and tip-toed down the wooden stairs as quietly as she could. She slipped out the front door of Mahilda's home, walked around the large building, and stepped over the fence around back. Alison wanted to get a closer look at the mysterious farm animals.

posted on Oct, 19 2015 @ 06:53 PM
link   
One of the bulls trotted towards her.

The animals didn't appear dark because of the night; all of them had black fur and red eyes. When the bull came dangerously close to Alison's face, it sniffed her repeatedly.

Alison's heart skipped a beat.

She raised her hand to pet the animal, though when she did, many small strings of glowing red light followed each of her fingers through the air. Alison studied her hand, then began to move it back and forth very slowly, feeling the red energy as it emitted from her fingertips.

The bull watched the light with great captivation.

"Restless evening?" Steven asked, climbing over the fence and strolling towards her. "They won't hurt you. The animals are all very tame. They won't hurt anyone who doesn't hurt them first."

"This is the light." Alison attempted to control the power in her hand, strengthening the red light, then retracting it. "This is the light, right?"

"Oh yes. You have a lot of it." Steven responded. "Be careful. I'm guessing you've never had to control it before. If you let it get away from you, it could become rather destructive."

"I'll be careful." Alison said. "Are the animals attracted to the light?"

"No. The animals all carry light, just like we do." Steven answered. "The animals are just attracted to you. They like you. They don't care much for Raddince, though... but I suspect that's because Raddince has those predatory instincts, you know. None of the animals want to be eaten by a werewolf."

Alison let the light escape her hand a third time, gazing into it in a trance-like way. If she, Alison, held destructive power in her hands, then perhaps she could go home and pay her family a visit, maybe enact some justice, or take her new power to school and show it to her old bullies...

No, Alison fumbled in her mind. I can't really be thinking about killing them, can I? I mean, it's not like they don't deserve it, but...

"Something on your mind?" Steven asked.

"No, nothing important." Alison replied. "I'm glad you have a family here, Steven. I like your family."

"Oh, so do I. I mean, Garth and Raddince can be a bit... rough... sometimes. But they're my brothers, and I love them." Steven said. "We try our best for our mother. After her daughters left her, we try to be good children for her."

"Mahilda had daughters?" Alison wondered.

"Yes. You see, many witches and warlocks believe themselves to be superior to the other people and creatures in our world because they are skilled at channeling their light and using it as magic. They are disciplined, but they aren't superior. They view the rest of us as lesser beings. That's why Mahilda's three daughters left her. They didn't approve of Mahilda adopting so many of us 'lesser' beings."

"That's stupid."

"Indeed, it is. Mahilda's daughters actually live nearby, and we have to deal with a lot of flak from them. They live in the mansion across the river. We usually avoid that area, otherwise those girls will start trouble with us."

"Why don't you guys just fight them off?" Alison questioned.

"It's a difficult situation." Steven said exasperatedly. "They're Mahilda's daughters. We don't want to hurt them. It'd make Mahilda unhappy if we did."

Alison made a troubled face, weaving her fingers through the air and drawing the light from her soul for a fourth time. Steven observed her.

"It takes discipline." He said. "I can teach you."

"You can?"

"Oh yes. Watch this."

Steven held up a bony hand, and he too began to channel the red light. His light appeared much more stationary, much more controlled, than hers did.

"I've been a skeleton for as long as I can remember." He said, flipping his hand backwards and forming a ball of red hot energy in his palm. "When my body died, and the skin and organs began to decompose, my soul decided to stick around. It's one with the skeleton of my former self. The light is our soul, Alison. It's as strong as we will it to be."

Alison tried to mimic what Steven did.

They remained outside for hours practicing how to use the light, laughing, joking, and firing off loose sparks of energy on occasion. They both lost track of time completely.

edit on Xx15960631PM106 by XxNightAngelusxX because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 20 2015 @ 10:34 PM
link   
Alison got to bed around midnight.

It was strange; she only got about five hours of sleep, and when she awoke in the morning, she didn't feel tired at all. Alison could feel the light flowing through her like a spreading wildfire. Perhaps it was giving her extra energy, and it meant that she wouldn't need as much sleep. She sat upright in Steven's bed when a far off howling noise snapped her out of her slumber. Raddince was behind the ranch, making yowling and snarling noises at the cows and scaring them all.

The daylight of this world shone differently than what Alison was used to. Rather than a bright blue sky with white clouds, the sky of this world had an ominous blue-and-grey glow, as well as numerous storm clouds that Alison guessed were always there during the day. This Halloween world simply wouldn't look right without storm clouds.

"Fried snake drizzled with a little cow blood." Mahilda said when Alison arrived in the kitchen, handing her a plate of what looked like a bloody sausage. "It's good for you, dear. A regular breakfast in this household. It's Raddince's favorite."

Alison ate the peculiar food quickly. It tasted much better than she thought it would. After finishing her meal, she placed the plate in the sink and walked outside. The smell of an oncoming rainstorm slithered up her nostrils as she took in a deep, hefty inhale.

Steven stood elegantly at the end of the picket fence in the front yard, drawing thin red lines in the air with his fingers. Last night, the two of them had spent a lot of time practicing with their powers, and it seemed that Steven still hadn't grown tired of it. The skeleton created a few crimson designs midair in the center of the dirt road in plain view for Alison to see. The bright red pattern that followed his fingers could have been a work of art. It was beautiful.

A flash of lightning occurred in the clouds, followed by a low rumbling thunder. Steven used both hands now, stringing together shimmering lines of energy in a gorgeous way, while the red-eyed crows at his feet all ascended into the air and flew away from the ranch. They were the same as the fake crows from the store, the black birds with red eyes, but here, they were as real and alive as ever.

"I don't want to go home." Alison blurted. "I want to stay here."

Steven let his light fade and lowered his arms by his sides.

"That's a very big decision to make." He said. "Don't you have a family back in your world?"

"Sort of. But they don't really care about me, and I don't care about them, either." Alison replied. "Being around them makes me... angry... all the time. I feel happier here. And with this new power, I... I don't know if I wanna be around people who make me upset all the time. I might do something I regret."

"I understand." Steven said.

There was a small silence.

Alison narrowed her eyes at him. "Is it... alright if I choose to stay? Is it... allowed?"

"Allowed?" Steven repeated in a high voice. "Everyone here is human, just like you are. I mean, we're all different variants... ordinary humans often become witches or warlocks and discipline their power, while the rest of us come into being with less than natural circumstances... but we're all human. I, for example, am a dead human, while people like Garth and Raddince are humans infected with a condition that changes them slightly. But my point is, we do not shun ordinary humans here. You're as welcome here as I am."

"Really?" Alison asked, trying to mask her hopefulness. "So, if I wanted to stay... I'd be allowed to stay?"

"Well, yeah." Steven answered. His jaw moved in a way that looked like a grin. "Yes, you're certainly allowed to stay. And I'd love it if you did."

"RAAAAWR!" A booming voice exploded from behind Alison, making her jump so hard she nearly fell over.

"Bwahahahaha!" Raddince laughed. The werewolf walked oafishly through the grass and approached the two of them. "Did I scare yah? Did I? Bwahahaha! I use that voice when I'm herding the cows! They're all scared of me! Yahahahahah!"

"Now, was that really necessary?" Steven sighed. "You can't be finished herding the cows already, Raddince. Go and finish your job, and leave Alison alone."

"Or what, bone bag?" Raddince came dangerously close to Steven and bared his fangs. "You gonna tell mommy on me? I wasn't hurting anybody. I was just havin' some fun!"

"You terrorizing my friend isn't fun in my book." Steven said.

"I'm not terrorizin' her!" Raddince moaned. "I was just playin' around!"

"I have an idea." Garth's voice chimed in.

The vampire glided out the front door with his black overcoat flowing along behind him.

"Listen, little brother." Garth said to Steven. "If you want to get rid of a mongrel, you play the mongrel's game. Like... for instance... fetch."

Then, Garth yanked one of Steven's ribs off of his body and tossed it with all his might. Raddince galloped into the grass as quickly as his gigantic paws would carry him in pursuit of the flying bone. The wolf man sniffed around frantically in an attempt to locate the rib.

"He has the attention span of a rodent." Garth muttered.

"I'm going to need my rib back..." Steven said glumly.

"Now, little brother." Garth slid two of his slender fingers into Steven's rib cage and lifted him off of the ground quite effortlessly. "What do you need your ribs for? You haven't any organs to protect. You're the plaything of a mongrel, and I rather enjoy using you as such."

"That's... I..." Steven said, his legs dangling a foot above the dirt. "I'd just... like to have... all my parts... is all."

"Yes, yes." Garth exhaled and placed Steven back on the ground. "My, I've grown bored of you even more quickly than usual today. I suppose watching that idiot stumble around in the dirt has me fairly entertained."

Everyone's attention shifted to Raddince, who was still pawing at different sections of the grass in search of Steven's missing bone.

"Well then, I'm off to work. Farewell." Garth said, winking at Alison. "I'll see you at dusk, beautiful."

Then, something miraculous happened. Garth's overcoat engulfed his entire body; he shrunk down to the size of a small animal, his tiny wings carrying him into the air and away from Mahilda's home.

"Whoa..." Alison marveled. "Vampires really can turn into bats?"

"Oh, yes." Steven responded. "He takes that form when he goes to work in the mornings. He's the town's mailman. He says it saves him time to fly to half of his destinations, although I'm not sure where he keeps the mail when he's in that form..."

"Did that hurt?" Alison asked. "Your rib..."

"Not really." Steven shrugged. "I mean, it's hard to tell. Some days I feel pain, others I don't. It's very strange. I may be overextending my judgment on this, but I don't think my nervous system works very well anymore."

Alison laughed.

Shadow emerged from the front yard and coiled up Alison's leg. The pet was now in the shape of a cobra; it was startling to see a deadly snake crawling up her leg before she remembered that the creature was actually harmless.

"Oh! I nearly forgot, I'm supposed to gather pumpkins from the pumpkin patch today." Steve said, smacking his skull. "Mother's going to make pumpkin pie tonight. Want to accompany me to the pumpkin patch?"

"Sure." Alison agreed happily.

They trekked off together down the dirt road.

posted on Oct, 21 2015 @ 02:56 AM
link   
"There it is." Steven pointed off to the right, where a long field extended for acres. In the field were far too many pumpkins to count. "Let's go. Oh, and don't mind their attitude. They act rude to everyone."

Alison, thinking she'd heard him wrong, marched down the hill beside the skeleton and entered the lumpy pumpkin patch. They both dodged vines and rocks until they were close enough to the pumpkins to see their creatively carved faces; all of the pumpkins were jack-o-lanterns with numerous different expressions.

Shadow reached Alison's shoulder and turned into a bat once more. He perched himself on Alison and remained still as she walked.

"Oi!" One of the larger pumpkins shouted. "Here to take more of us to the slaughterhouse, are yeh?"

Many of the pumpkins moaned and heckled in protest.

Alison froze. Am I living in a cartoon? How can all the pumpkins be alive?

"What're you doing here, dusty bones?" A small pumpkin yelped at Steven with a shrill voice. "You don't even have a stomach! Whaddoya' want pumpkins for?!"

"Quiet, you." Steven chuckled. "You silly things are grown to feed people. You know that."

"So we're all meant for the slaughterhouse? That's all we live for? Then what's the point in living!" A fat pumpkin complained. "Get off my property, skinny boy! Don't you dare touch my family!"

Steven paid the angry pumpkins no mind. When he realized that Alison was no longer following him deeper into the pumpkin patch, he stopped.

"It's only a spell." He assured her. "Mother and the other witches enjoy casting spells on the jack-o-lanterns to give them more personality. They like giving the pumpkins alter egos that match whatever facial expression is carved onto them. They aren't actually alive, I promise."

Still, Alison remained completely silent while Steven picked out two ripe pumpkins. He carried them back to Mahilda's ranch and placed them on the kitchen table, then departed the house and returned to Alison's side.

"What's the matter?" Steven asked her. "You look like you've never seen a talking pumpkin before."

Alison let out a breathless laugh.

"Well, I've done what Mother's asked of me. Hmmm..." Steven placed his back against the fence and slid down into a sitting position on the dirt. "I'm actually lacking in chores today. Is there anything you'd like to do, Alison? For fun?"

Alison sat beside him and channeled a small amount of power into her palm. The red light sparkled and flickered in her grasp, heating the skin of her hand more and more the longer she held it in place.

"This never gets old." Alison gazed into the energy with rapt captivation. "It's probably nothing to you. It's normal for you guys. But I never imagined I'd have... power... like this."

"Oh, it's everything to me!" Steven said. "You're right, it really doesn't get old. Garth and Raddince don't see the point in practicing with their power. They're both fairly spirited, but they hardly use their gift. Of course, I suppose they don't need the light as much as I do. One of them is a shape-shifting blood drinker, and the other is a terrifying werewolf. They can defend themselves just fine without the light.They don't need the light as much as I do. That's why I practice so often. I want to be as good as I can be."

"Can everyone use the light like this?" Alison questioned. "Can all of you use it like power?"

"It is the manifestation of our souls. But it answers to our call if only we have the will to call it forth. And it's ideal to have discipline to back it up, otherwise it could quickly become a disaster." Steven told her. "Some people are more spirited than others, and they carry more light than everyone else. Those who harbor a great light have a lot of drive, a lot of motivation. They have something in the core of their hearts that they strive for, and whatever it is, it keeps them burning like fire. And for you, Alison, I can't help but wonder..."

Steven's skull turned towards her. His empty sockets gazed into her crimson eyes.

"What drives you so fiercely?" He asked with deep interest. "You have such light in you, so very much of it. You act so composed, but there's a raging fire beneath that exterior. It's quite compelling."

"Really?" Alison hugged her knees and rested her chin on her legs. "I don't really know what's driving me."

"Hmmm." Steven's finger bones tapped his jaw. "For my family members, it's obvious. What drives them is... each other. You see, Mahilda is a very powerful witch, but you wouldn't know it by looking at her. She lives a very peaceful lifestyle because what drives her most is to look after her family. And... despite the way Garth and Raddince act sometimes... they feel the same way, and so do I."

Shadow made a chirping noise from Alison's shoulder.

"Yes, yes. I couldn't forget you." Steven patted Shadow lightly on the head. "I know, Shadow. I know you love your family too."

"But... you told me that you've been a skeleton as long as you can remember." Alison said. "That means your old self must have died a long time before you met Mahilda and the others. The light held your soul onto your body before you met your family. Something else must have been driving you back then."

Steven nodded. He went quiet for a moment, appearing to be in thought.

"I can hardly remember..." He murmured softly. "I remember... rain. It was a rainy evening. I don't remember why I was dying, but I remember feeling... incomplete... as if I wasn't finished with the world. As if I wasn't satisfied with the life I'd had. And so, I... I held on. I held on with all my strength, and the light bound me to my bones."

"Why did you feel that way?" Alison asked him.

"I was lonely." Steven replied without much thought. "I remember feeling lonely. I was dying alone... and I felt as though I had lived alone... as though I'd wasted my entire life by myself, with no family, and with no friends... that's why... that's why I didn't want to die... that's why the light kept me alive..."

"Because you were lonely?" Alison said.

Steven faced her again.

"No... and yes." He responded. "I stayed alive because I wanted... more than anything else, I wanted... I wanted..."

"Friends." Alison finished for him. "You wanted friends and family. You wanted people to be close to. Right?"

"I... I suppose so." Steven agreed. "Yes, that's... that sounds exactly right. Goodness, how is it that you're better at deciphering me than I am?"

"I don't know. I guess I want the same thing." Alison said honestly. "Back home, my family never felt like a family and I never had friends in school. I felt the same way you did."

"FOUND IT!"

Alison and Steven both looked up.

Raddince hopped up from the tall grass across the road, holding Steven's severed rib in between his many jagged teeth. The werewolf thumped over to them and dropped the bone at Steven's feet.

Without warning, Raddince slid his large flat tongue across Alison's cheek, leaving a thick trail of saliva up the left side of her face. The wolf man wagged his fluffy tale and trotted proudly into the house without saying another word.

"I... want to be your friend." Alison said as she used her new gown to wipe the spit from her cheek. "I want to be all of your friends. I think that's all I've ever wanted. You guys are like a dream come true."

edit on Xx30430331AM103 by XxNightAngelusxX because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 21 2015 @ 05:11 PM
link   
"I'm honored." Steven said genuinely.

Alison picked up the rib and pressed it into the section of his rib cage from where it had been taken. A jolt of red light zapped along the edges of the bone, and the rib reattached itself to Steven's body.

"I'll never get tired of that." Alison grinned. "That's so cool."

"Just know something, Alison." Steven said seriously. "Whatever you choose to do, you'll always be a friend to me. Whether you choose to say or go, you'll still be my friend."

Alison smiled at him. Nobody had ever been so nice to her before. Steven's kindness was even stranger to her than his lack of skin or organs--but it didn't matter. He, like everyone in this world, was wonderfully, outlandishly different, and they were oddly loving despite their spookiness. This was the sort of family that Alison had always wanted. Alison could only imagine what her relatives and peers back home would say about this world, a world filled with grim Halloween creatures and talking jack-o-lanterns. Everyone in this world would be deemed a monster by those who inhabited Alison's world, even though Alison's world played host to war, famine, disease, and generally dysfunctional families all around. This Halloween world was as dark and creepy as ever--but it was nowhere near as wicked as Alison's world.

"I still haven't decided." Alison said, not entirely truthfully.

She wanted to miss her family, wanted to go home and resume her life and better herself somehow, wanted to enter her home to find that her parents had, in fact, missed her and worried about her--but Alison couldn't force herself to miss them. Her family would move on with their lives if she were to disappear. They were empty souls, selfish and broken people with no interest in caring for others or repairing themselves. It seemed that this family--Mahilda, Steven, Garth, Raddince, and Shadow--cared more for her after only knowing her for a day than her real family did throughout her entire life. Returning to her home world was the obvious logical choice, but it wasn't what she wanted to do at all.

Alison faintly heard the sound of Raddince howling at the herds of black cows again. The pumpkins in the pumpkin patch hadn't yet stopped talking, though most of their voices didn't carry all the way over to the ranch. From where Alison and Steven sat, the pumpkin patch sounded like a very far away crowd.

They stayed silent for a little while. Then, Steven stood and led Alison back into the house. Steven began cleaning the kitchen in preparation for dinner, as it was nearing time for Mahilda to cook, and Alison decided to help him. After about an hour, Mahilda moseyed into the room and shouted at both of them to go do something entertaining and not take up all the space in the kitchen doing her job for her.

So, with nothing else to do, Alison and Steven spent the rest of the day on the dirt road playing with magic, drawing lines of energy in the air and even shooting small balls of light into the tall grass, singing the tips of it and causing small explosions of dirt in some places. Shadow squeaked joyfully every time one of them used their light. The lightning crackled the sky and the thunder became louder and louder as the time passed. Amidst the fun, Alison was nearly convinced that she was living in a dream world entirely of her own making. She hoped that she'd never wake up.

"Soup soon!" Mahilda hollered from the front door when Alison decided to fire a burst of energy into the sky. The light erupted into a series of sparks that looked very much like fireworks. "Keep watch for your brother, Stevey!"

"Yes Mother!" Steven called back from the center of the grass patch. "We will!"

Mahilda shot them both a sly smile before disappearing into her home again.

"Hey, I'm gonna go ask her if she needs help cooking dinner." Alison told Steven. "I think it'd be nice to help her."

"Oh, don't worry about that. She hates it when we try to help her cook." Steven warned.

"But still, I think It'd be polite." Alison said, turning and heading towards the house. "I'll be back soon!"

When Alison stepped into the kitchen, Mahilda was doing many things at once; a pan filled with patties made of an unknown meat sat sizzling on the stove beside a gigantic cauldron of soup, and Mahilda's hands were both occupied with a large spoon and a flipper. She was using one of them to flip the burgers, and using the other to stir the mysterious yellow liquid in the cauldron.

"Do you need help?" Alison asked.

"Nope." Mahilda answered shortly.

"Are you sure?"

"Yes, deary, I'm sure."

"I can--"

"Go outside and keep Steven company, will you?"

"Okay... but..."

"Listen, you keeping him company is more than enough help, dear. Do you know when the last time was he brought a friend home? Never. He doesn't bring friends home. Now you go keep him entertained and let me do my job, aw'right?"

"O-okay."

Alison nodded and stepped out the front door again, only to see Steven standing still in the road and waiting for her to return to his side. Raddince was having far too much fun herding the animals out back, and Garth hadn't come home from work yet. Strange, how she worried about them getting inside in time for dinner, how she expected to see Garth in bat form fluttering down from the sky at any moment, how she wished that she and Steven could stay awake all hours of the night to play with their powers again...

Despite having only been with them for twenty four hours, Alison somehow felt as if she'd lived with these people all her life. They made her feel right at home.

edit on Xx32050531PM105 by XxNightAngelusxX because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 22 2015 @ 12:46 AM
link   
Something caught her eye.

Across the field of tall grass was a structure that Alison hadn't noticed until now. With the afternoon fading into an evening and the clouds overhead darkening, the gigantic mansion standing at the top of a far away hill looked all the more menacing. The building, like everything else in this world, seemed like something straight out of a horror movie.

"What's that place?" Alison pointed towards the building.

"That would be Mahilda's daughters' home." Steven responded. "The Xanaguard Mansion. That's the place we avoid. We don't go near that property. Mahilda's daughters will never pass up a chance to start trouble with us."

Alison frowned. Even here in this alternate universe, family problems were ever present.

A small black shape floated down from the sky behind Steven's head. After a few seconds of wobbling around in the air, the bat morphed into a large wave of black, and Garth's overcoat spread itself open to reveal his human form. The vampire's feet hit the ground, and he stumbled forward a bit.

Something was wrong, and Alison noticed immediately; Garth didn't walk with his smooth stride now. He wore a pained expression, and the top of his forehead had been cut open, allowing his vampiric blood to trickle down his face. Small sections of his clothing were missing along the parts of his body that had been attacked. He had quite a lot of cuts up and down his arms, legs, and torso. The only part of him completely in tact was the small handbag on his side that held a lot of envelopes.

"What..." Steven gasped. "What happened?"

"Wicked wenches..." Garth complained, placing his hand on the ground and sitting against the fence. "Our lovely neighbors saw me flying over their home to deliver their mail, so they decided to take turns trying to blast me out of the air with their silly magical incantations."

"They did what?" Steven exclaimed. "How could they..."

"Because they're wenches." Garth grumbled. "I wish Mother wasn't so tolerant of their frankly intolerable behavior."

"Are you okay?" Alison said as she knelt in front of him.

"Oh, my dear... the only thing that can restore me now is... blood." Garth replied. "Fresh blood, pure blood... perhaps... the blood of a beautiful young girl."

Steven would have rolled his eyes if he had any.

Alison bit her lip. Garth had injuries all over. If there was any chance that she could help, she wanted to try.

Slowly, Alison held out her wrist, bracing herself for the pain and waiting for Garth to sink his teeth into her skin.

Garth's charming smile vanished.

"I was only kidding, my dear." He told her. "You... you'd really trust a vampire not to bleed you dry? My, you're something else indeed."

"Mahilda's daughters have gone too far this time." Steven said. "No, I... I can't allow this to happen any more. This has gone far enough. They can't continue to treat us like this. This is far too much."

"Now listen here, brother. I don't need your sympathy." Garth stared up at the skeleton irritably. "Don't go fretting over nothing. Mother will handle it, I'm sure."

"I'm not so sure that she will." Steven replied. "They never seem to learn their lesson. And now... look at what they've done to you. No, I... I can't stand for this. Go inside and allow Mother to treat your wounds. I'll be home shortly."

Steven spun a 180 and headed for the tall grass. From the looks of it, he planned to walk straight to the Xanaguard Mansion and confront the witches by himself.

"Wait!" Alison shot upright and followed the skeleton. Shadow sprinted along at her feet as a black cat. "Steven, you can't go there alone. You told me you didn't want to fight them!"

"I'm not going to fight them. I only want to talk." Steven said, storming through the grass without slowing. "You needn't come with me, Alison. You'd be safer back at the ranch."

"I'm not letting you go alone!" Alison protested. "You're crazy!"

top topics

<<   2 >>

join