It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Green Energy Plan

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 29 2015 @ 03:39 PM
link   
Mods, please move if this is not in the correct thread.

Hi all.

I was thinking about the ways to power homes and businesses with green energy and the opportunity that governments have to facilitate the transformation. Instead of dumping billions into the creation of questionable carbon credit schemes, what about funding tax credits for adding solar panels to homes etc. to assist with the installations.

It seems to me that the government is making this harder than necessary to get things done. The technology exists to add power to the grids and provided the firms which are hired are properly vetted, there is no reason to think that such action would be money down the drain. The jobs created would be better and more secure than government bureaucracy required to administer a carbon credit set up and would, over time, add value to the economies involved.

This is all IMHO of course.

What say you ATS?

posted on Sep, 29 2015 @ 03:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: Cynic
...what about funding tax credits for adding solar panels to homes etc. to assist with the installations.

Most states have this, the funds often come from the 'societal benefits' charge on your utility bill.

posted on Sep, 29 2015 @ 03:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Cynic

You nailed it. You answered your own question. The carbon credit scheme only benefits the elite and the status quo. It is not about sustainable development.

posted on Sep, 29 2015 @ 03:58 PM
link   
The government is run by oil corporations so getting off grid would be anti corporate monopoly, so dont expect help from the government.

posted on Sep, 29 2015 @ 04:53 PM
link   
As someone in subsidized housing through Section 8 who has investigated the possibility of persuading our Landlady to go solar, I can say I suspect one thing that might be effective is to offer higher subsidies or utility subsidies (especially water) to owners who accept Section 8 vouchers if they go solar.

Her main reason for not doing so, even though it would lower our electric bill (which might in turn mean we need less of our portion of the rent subsidized incidentally - a trade I would consider fair,) was not the cost of going solar, but that cost + the projected decreases over time of subsidies. They've been paying her steadily less, while also steadily raising the portion we have to pay. (If it continues for another year or so, our internet and phone will have to go finally, and beyond that she might simply begin negotiations to not renew her Section 8 contract.)

Other than that, she and her tenants would love to do it.

So that's the contribution I can think of from my little corner of life. Peace.
edit on 9/29/2015 by AceWombat04 because: (no reason given)

edit on 9/29/2015 by AceWombat04 because: Typo

posted on Sep, 29 2015 @ 04:59 PM
link   
I agree with most, solar is the only viable way to go, with our present technology.
I have high hopes for fusion but I think that's a pipe dream for now. What do you guys think?

posted on Sep, 29 2015 @ 05:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

originally posted by: Cynic
...what about funding tax credits for adding solar panels to homes etc. to assist with the installations.

Most states have this, the funds often come from the 'societal benefits' charge on your utility bill.

Thanks, I didn't know that. I am a Canadian and our system is not as advanced.

top topics

join