It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Earthquakes

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 4 2005 @ 01:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Muaddib

Originally posted by Rock Hunter
It would strike me that otlg27 is the only sane person on this section.

Nothing unusual is happening to this planet, the Tsunami was an extraordinary event. nothing is going on to hale the end of the earth, and what this about the solar system going through some "energy field" that is setting of stuff everywhere what a load of tripe.

Where did i say anywhere the end of the Earth was near?.... First, i don't believe the Earth is going to end, a lot of changes are on the way, and i think that otlg27 agrees with this also...he just doesn't agree with the idea that mankind activities are accelerating or helping these changes at all.

No.. I never said that. With respect to earthquakes your statement would be correct. With respect to climate I think it's us *and* a natural cycle combined..

Osiris

posted on Jan, 4 2005 @ 02:02 AM
link   

Once more...to see the increase in earthquake activity that we have had since the 1970s, Valhall did a good job with the following excerpt....
www.thedivinesibyl.com...

[edit on 4-1-2005 by Muaddib]

On that note.. I would challenge *ANYONE* who insists on sticking to an 'increase' in earthquake to get together a count by year of active monitored seismographs. I *know* the USGS has deployed a LOT more of them starting in the 80s.. I just can't find the data (and the accuracy of each one)..

I'm sure other countries are similar. Earth quakes in China are more well reported, as are those in russia due to the fall of the iron curtain (all things that have been neglected here)..

Regards,

Osiris

posted on Jan, 4 2005 @ 03:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by otlg27

No.. I never said that. With respect to earthquakes your statement would be correct. With respect to climate I think it's us *and* a natural cycle combined..

Osiris

My bad then, at least we do agree on Climate change.

I will partly respond to your second post below. It is late and I do need to sleep, but tomorrow i will get back to you on the "earthquakes".

posted on Jan, 4 2005 @ 05:20 AM
link   

On that note.. I would challenge *ANYONE* who insists on sticking to an 'increase' in earthquake to get together a count by year of active monitored seismographs. I *know* the USGS has deployed a LOT more of them starting in the 80s.. I just can't find the data (and the accuracy of each one)..

I'm sure other countries are similar. Earth quakes in China are more well reported, as are those in russia due to the fall of the iron curtain (all things that have been neglected here)..

Regards,

Osiris

A challenge huh? *grins*

Ok, I will post one link tonight and tomorrow we can continue the discussion as i said above.

I can't excerpt from that site but it is about scientists reporting the increase in tsunamies caused by earthquakes.

Strange, the original site started acting up and it froze my pc, I had cut the link but when I tried to paste it here there was nothing. I will try to find it again but in the meanwhile I guess I will give some other links.

QUAKES, Department of Earth Sciences, The University of Queensland, Brisbane, Aus-tralia (e-mail: [email protected], phone: +61-7 3365 2176, fax:+61-7 3365 7347).AbstractEarthquakes produce physical changes in the region surrounding their oc-currence. A number of these changes inuence the environment in whichsubsequent earthquakes occur, potentially eecting their timing and slip dis-tribution. The processof stress transfer, where coseismicslip and postseismicprocesses modify the stress eld surrounding an earthquake, can inuence both the timing and slip distribution of subsequent events. The dynamic strains induced by the passage of large amplitude seismic waves can trigger earthquake failure at large distancesfrom the original event. When laboratory derived frictional laws are added to these processes, inherent time-dependenteects arise. Finally, it has been suggested that the action of many smallerearthquakes can smooth a regional stress eld and prepare the way for larger events. To be realistic, simulations of the earthquake process must account for these eects

Excerpted from.
64.233.179.104...:OedYN8TPMSUJ:www.quakes.uq.edu.au/ACES_WS1_proc/PDF/2.3_1.pdf+increase+earthquake+activity&hl=en

I think the following is the first link that i lost.

Damage caused by natural disasters has been increasing and become more serious world-wide, especially in Asia, because ofcomplicated and active natural environments. Such damage is fur-ther aggravated by countries�weak and vulnerable social condi-tions which have been worsened by rapid, uncontrolled socio-eco-nomic development.

Excerpted from.
64.233.187.104...:xI6dyE3pUjIJ:www.drs.dpri.kyoto-u.ac.jp/jsnds/download.cgi%3Fjsdn_25_2-3.pdf+increase+earthquake+activity+tsunami +Asia&hl=en

PATTERNS OF SEISMIC ACTIVITY PRECEDING LARGE EARTHQUAKES
SHAW BE, CARLSON JM, LANGER JS
JOURNAL OF GEOPHYSICAL RESEARCH-SOLID EARTH
97: (B1) 479-488 JAN 10 1992

Abstract:
We analyze the patterns of seismic activity which precede large events in a mechanical model of a fault. The model generates a statistical distribution of events similar to that observed for a single fault, with a scaling region consistent with the Gutenberg-Richter law at small and moderate magnitudes, and an excess of events at large magnitudes. We find only slight variation in the scaling behavior during a long cycle. However, we do observe systematic variations in space and time of the overall rate of activity. In the model, the activity accelerates dramatically preceding a large event and is usually a maximum in the neighborhood of the future epicenter. These results we compared to California seismicity data, where we find that activity patterns vary regionally. Looking at patterns of activity in the San Francisco Bay Area since 1948, we find an increase of activity on the Calaveras fault new San Jose beginning in the 1980s which, if our model is relevant, would forecast a large earthquake in that region. The 1989 Loma Prieta earthquake occurred on the San Andreas fault within 30 km of the section of the Calaveras fault showing increased activity.

Excerpted from.
www.ldeo.columbia.edu...

Small Earthquake Patterns Point to the 'Big One'By Kim Griggs New Zealand scientists believe they can determine where, when and how big an earthquake is likely to be by looking at the small earthquakes. "We found that almost invariably before a big one, in the long run beforehand you get this increase in small earthquake activity," says Institute of Geological and Nuclear Sciences (GNS) geophysical statistician Dr David Rhoades. Dr Rhoades and Victoria University of Wellington Emeritus Professor Frank Evison have studied lists of earthquakes, published regularly by seismological observatories, and have found that they provide a key to better understanding how large earthquakes are generate...

Excerpted from.
64.233.187.104...:ayp-JHG0SPEJ:www.thesciencesite.info/archives/earthquakes.pdf+increase+earthquake+activity&hl=en

The earth has entered a seismically active period when weakness in earth�s crusts start breaking apart, volcanoes erupt, plate collisions cause major earthquakes, mud volcanoes erupt and geysers come out in different parts of the world with much higher frequency. This results in volcanic eruption, mudslides, Tsunamis, mega earthquakes and more.

According to the Russian scientists, the number of earthquakes in the earth has increased exponentially over the past few years, a phenomenon not seen in modern human history.
According to some Russian scientists, another major earthquake in the same vicinity and a series of the same near the equator is evident in near future. The resultant Tsunamis will be three to five time as severe as this one. The future Tsunamis will not effect South and South east Asia, they will devastate even many more countries.

"According to our theory, there exist latitudinal lineaments (cracks of the earth's core), which pose potential danger in terms of seismic activity. If we are to follow equatorial crack westward of South East Asia, we could expect rather serious seismic cataclysms in Equatorial Guinea, Cameroon, Nigeria and Gabon," informed the spokes person of the Russian scientists.

According to Pravda, earthquakes are also likely to hit equatorial countries of South America. Southern part of Ecuador and the islands in close proximity to it will be most susceptible to the quake. Should the seaquakes occur, the waves can easily cover the entire southern part of Colombia, Ecuador and northern part of Peru, noted Dr. Evgeny Dolgivov, director of geological-mineral sciences.

Excerpted from.
www.indiadaily.com...

I also originally posted a thread with information that Dr. Dolgovov was predicting more major earthquakes. I think it can be found in this forum.

Also another earthquake which occurred after the 26th, and was not widely reported, happened in Japan on the 28th of December of this year.

Here is a link to the story.

www.sfgate.com.../news/archive/2004/11/28/international1510EST0471.DTL

Ok, not to get off tangent...here are some other links.

Recent seismic activity in the Miyakejima and Niijima-Kozushima region, Japan�the largest earthquake swarm ever recorded�

Although earthquakes with maginitude of about 7 have decreased we have seen an increase in smaller earthquake, this is normally indicative of a preparation for large quakes. Also the supposed aftershocks that are still happening in SE Asia have caused other earthquakes in that area. This seems to be indicative that the earthquake on the 26th was not the only one, maybe not in that area, but if the Russian scientists, and others, are right, that is not the last great earthquake/sea quake in that area for this year. Even if we look only at the past 10 years or even 5 years and the amount of earthquakes that have happened worldwide, the magnitude 7 quakes have slowed while smaller earthquakes have increased.

Just like with Climate change, some people kept saying, and keep saying, there is nothing happening and nothing is going to happen.... Well, it is true that the Earth is dynamic, and these changes are normal....but still those changes affect us humans, just like it did in SE Asia. I do hope that I am wrong, and all those scientists are wrong too.

posted on Jan, 4 2005 @ 10:22 AM
link   

IN SHORT: No Planet X. Never was. Never will..

what we see happening in the Earth is also happening all over the solar system, most planets in our solar system are reacting to something, scientists are saying they don't know exactly what it is. Russian scientists say that perhaps we are going through an energy field that is causing all this commotion on Earth and the other planets.

Here is the link.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

This is the tripe I am refering too, this original thread was started on earthquakes. All the earthqyuakes etc we are seeing are NORMAL, plantery alighhnment does not cause earthquakes, going through energy field!!1 what a load of rubbish, and as for this planet X well we might as well just start coming up with some more crazy ideas. The only thing that causes earthquakes is stresses invoked because of our own planet and the forces involved in plate tectonics, which is driven by the inernal dynamics of our own planet. And maudib I kind of know what I'm talking about as I'm a geologist.

The apparent increase we see in earthquakes since the 1970 is only because we have better seismometers and a larger seismometer network so the increase is the result of increased sampling, not an actual increase

[edit on 4-1-2005 by Rock Hunter]

E_T

posted on Jan, 4 2005 @ 11:38 AM
link   

M Earthquakes
per year
---------- -----------
8.5 - 8.9 0.3
8.0 - 8.4 1.1
7.5 - 7.9 3.1
7.0 - 7.4 15
6.5 - 6.9 56
6.0 - 6.4 210
This table is based on data for a recent 47 year period.

And if you don't remember (from which I'm sure) from my earlier posts there wasn't any 8.5+ quakes for forty years before Sumatra's quake so it was overdue for very long time.

Are Earthquakes Really on the Increase?

We continue to be asked by many people throughout the world if earthquakes are on the increase. Although it may seem that we are having more earthquakes, earthquakes of magnitude 7.0 or greater have remained fairly constant.

A partial explanation may lie in the fact that in the last twenty years, we have definitely had an increase in the number of earthquakes we have been able to locate each year. This is because of the tremendous increase in the number of seismograph stations in the world and the many improvements in global communications. In 1931, there were about 350 stations operating in the world; today, there are more that 8,000 stations and the data now comes in rapidly from these stations by electronic mail, internet and satellite. This increase in the number of stations and the more timely receipt of data has allowed us and other seismological centers to locate earthquakes more rapidly and to locate many small earthquakes which were undetected in earlier years. The NEIC now locates about 20,000 earthquakes each year or approximately 50 per day. Also, because of the improvements in communications and the increased interest in the environment and natural disasters, the public now learns about more earthquakes.

According to long-term records (since about 1900), we expect about 18 major earthquakes (7.0 - 7.9) and one great earthquake (8.0 or above) in any given year. However, let's take a look at what has happened in the past 31 years, from 1969 through 2001...
neic.usgs.gov...

And they're right, its's damn sure that without internet you would hear only about very small amount of quakes under mag 7... or even from bigger ones if they don't hit to populated areas.
(how much did you see 8.1 quake between Antarctis and NZ in media?)

posted on Jan, 4 2005 @ 05:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rock Hunter
This is the tripe I am refering too, this original thread was started on earthquakes. All the earthqyuakes etc we are seeing are NORMAL, plantery alighhnment does not cause earthquakes, going through energy field!!1 what a load of rubbish, and as for this planet X well we might as well just start coming up with some more crazy ideas.

First of all, if you would have read those excerpts and the links which i provided from NASA and the Russian scientist, you would have seen that the increase in disaster by tsunamies in Asia is because of an increase on earthquakes, or sea quakes.... We can all see where the load of tripe and the diatribe comes from...and obviously as you did not read the links...there was nothing in those links which say anything about planetary alingments.... the solar system, including the Sun, are reacting to something, the Russians say it is due to an interplanetary cloud which are composed of gases, dust and highly charged particles, which obviously are having an effect on all our solar system.

The evidence is there, even NASA is saying we are going through such a cloud at this moment, and that they do not understand all the effects this cloud could cause.... and NASA is saying that the amount of dust particles from the interplanetary cloud is going to triple and get more dense, until 2013...that's from NASA.

posted on Jan, 22 2005 @ 10:18 AM
link   
links Zhang Heng seismograph
chi.maroc.to...

posted on Jan, 25 2005 @ 10:41 PM
link   
We live on a small prisonplanet. You can say like sitting on bombs
Best thing to do is to make up a safty zone to all weapons . Dont touch them, because in a open prison you can make some changes to happen.
agression is always ingredient in violent crime(read the papers &war)
One thing to do is avoid touching agression and weapon.
I live in northern Norway and its like living in a freezing hell & i am
doomed by age and other nasty stuff.But no earthquakes
They are caused by human activity in some vulnerable areas,
some area of earth is populated by "call them invisible but material beeings
Dont build anything in this areas.To few humans can guide in
vu areas, and i hope more people can reach new levels 6?
I use astrologi, numberologi, alphabetologi, religion & o(u)ther contacts Walking the sunny side will only force nights and nightmares on us
Try getting the waves small as a dc line not ac line
Dont be to happy ,rich and so on.Prisonguards dont like that.no joking
In t mean time only fix existing houses, and leave vulnerable areas`s & the rain forest www.care2.com... tsunami

Dont eat coffe cake chips coca cola cream cake candy
cigar cigarettes next christmas costs y and causes calories cancer ++

posted on Feb, 1 2005 @ 10:43 PM
link   
Postman? post this letter to some newspapers for me,
Contact me & micromidas for microscopic minor material details

[email protected]
The wheel made humans greed motorised.You eat then you s..
oil is like one billion microwheels, and turns on endurance
When using oil as fuel we waste endurance for next generations
Dont oil pollution, wars,Weapons destruction, power-ty and so on
Power & responsible is unlimited and so is catastrophs
Use the important time correct and learn wisdom
because in a open prison you can make some changes to happen.
I live in a freezing hell & i am on the filty list of
doomed by age and other nasty stuff.But no earthquakes yet
They are caused by human activity in some vulnerable areas,
some area of earth is populated by "call them invisible but material beeings
Dont build anything in this areas.To few humans can guide in
vu areas, and i hope more people can reach new levels ?
I use astrologi, numberologi, alphabetologi, religion & o(u)ther contacts Walking the sunny side will only force nights and nightmares on us
Try getting the waves small as a dc line not ac line
Dont be to happy ,rich and so on.Prisonguards dont like that.no joking
In t mean time only fix existing houses, and leave vulnerable areas`s & the rain forest www.care2.com... tsunami

Dont consume coffe cake chips coca cola cream cake candy
chocolate cigar cigarettes next christmas!
Can someone post this to "some" newspapers for me
www.bbc.co.uk...

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join