It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

dangerous military aircraft manouvers

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 23 2015 @ 04:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: cmdrkeenkid
a reply to: howmuch4another

Textron is giving it a shot with the Scorpion. I heard some of the current/former Dragonfly/Tweet operators are interested in it.

I heard it was a hit in Europe a few months ago. Seems like a great bird for LA and COIN but admit I haven't been following it.

posted on Sep, 23 2015 @ 04:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

No love for T- 41, T-51, L-19, or O-2 amongst the others?

posted on Sep, 23 2015 @ 04:53 PM
link   

They did several times, but they didn't work for various reasons. They tried for an Air Force and Naval pilot training aircraft designated as the 526 CitationJet. It was a two seat trainer, based largely on the 525 airframe. It shared 75% commonality with the 525. It lost to the Texan II.

They also had the Cessna 552, designated the T-47 that was used by the Navy for RIO and B/N training, as well as EWO and TCOs. They had the AN/APQ-167 installed, and multiple radar screens in the cabin. They built 16 of those, 15 of which were destroyed in a hangar fire.

Now they have a few with the military flying as transports, and the DoD as drug interdiction aircraft.

posted on Sep, 23 2015 @ 04:55 PM
link   
a reply to: cmdrkeenkid

Oh they've had quite a few, but the A-37/T-37 was the most well known, and other than the O-2, the most successful of the lot.

posted on Sep, 23 2015 @ 05:02 PM
link   

I guess I meant competitions for attack designations since I was aware the trainers. I was focused on stuff that destroys stuff.

posted on Sep, 23 2015 @ 05:08 PM
link   

They've made more money from trainers and the civilian market. They're one of the few that hasn't really had to go into the military market much. Interestingly they turned the Grand Caravan into a COIN/ISR platform. They sold a number of them to Iraq. The Citation is so successful they haven't really needed the military market.

posted on Sep, 23 2015 @ 05:13 PM
link   

The AC-208 Is one pretty neat bird. Always been a fan of the Caravan and its various versions. Give me one with the cargo pod, floats, and some ferry tanks and I'll be incredibly happy...

posted on Sep, 23 2015 @ 05:17 PM
link   

The Caravan is a great little aircraft. I only flew on one a couple of times but it was a surprisingly nice flight. I especially loved when the pilots told you where to sit based on how much you told them you weighed.

posted on Sep, 23 2015 @ 05:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: cmdrkeenkid

The AC-208 Is one pretty neat bird. Always been a fan of the Caravan and its various versions. Give me one with the cargo pod, floats, and some ferry tanks and I'll be incredibly happy...

sign me up for the requisite fishing trip.....

posted on Sep, 23 2015 @ 05:49 PM
link   
I have been both in the pattern and over flow by a KC-135 while flying both a Cessna 172 and a Piper Warrior PA-141. Let me tell you, it suck every time.
The first time I took my kid brother up was in a Warrior, we were overflow by a KC-135 call sign "Razor" out of TYS, I tried to warning him of the jet wash, and now he won't fly with me.
I don't really blame him, I think we did acrobatic, in a plane not rated for that crap.
Poop happens, there are old pilots, and there are bold pilots, but there's no old, bold pilots.

posted on Sep, 23 2015 @ 06:07 PM
link   
a reply to: Nickn3

A nice little saying. Could you not see it coming? Or just figured it would change direction? Seems like a dangerous game of chicken.

posted on Sep, 23 2015 @ 06:08 PM
link   
a reply to: Crumbles

You'd be surprised how hard it is to see even something as large as a KC-135. If you don't have ATC telling you a direction to look, it's pretty easy to miss them while doing the scan. Especially after they got rid of the old smokewagon engines that left a nice dark trail to follow.

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 10:51 AM
link   
WHy am i thinking of TOP GUN and MAverick flying through Icemans jetwash?(which iceman would had been cooling his heels in a military prison or dishorable discharge after ignoring his wingmans suggestion to safely exit btw)

posted on Sep, 29 2015 @ 08:46 AM
link   
Just to add to the thread. Just got buzzed by an A-10 below the cloud cover. Was getting the mail ready and I heard the roar. Hopped out as quick as I could and it was banking. Going south hard turn headed west. Same path the 135 was going. Gotta love it.

posted on Sep, 29 2015 @ 09:25 AM
link   

Hehe. I went to go play paintball at Camp Blanding in Florida several years ago.

As we were playing the Military was using us as target practice.

A buddy of mine was by the border of the game area and he noticed something out in the forest.

After looking for a bit he noticed it was a National Guardsman. He waved at the guy. And the guy got up, waved and left.

So yeah. They use civilians for practice.

posted on Sep, 29 2015 @ 09:28 AM
link   
a reply to: Nickn3

Black Hole.
I wonder why they don't remake that one.

I got through to V.I.N.CENT.! He said there are old pilots and there are bold pilots, but there are very few old, bold pilots!

posted on Sep, 29 2015 @ 10:18 AM
link   
a reply to: grey580

Looks like a good time. Whoops loaded up with live ammo

posted on Sep, 29 2015 @ 12:16 PM
link   

heh.

I'll tell ya. I've seen paintballs draw blood.

posted on Sep, 29 2015 @ 01:14 PM
link   

Those A-10 pilots are crazy. A solid ten years ago we were camping in northern Michigan and two buzzed the state park about fifteen feet above the trees. The campground host's son was one of the pilots. Turned out they got into a bit of trouble for it; the DNR had people up in the tree tops at the time doing some trimming. Luckily, the tree folks were using their harnesses.

posted on Sep, 29 2015 @ 02:51 PM
link   

The A-10s could have done the trimming for about 50-100 a bullet
haha

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join