It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Religion is the Oldest form of Propaganda

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 22 2015 @ 02:01 PM
link   

Propaganda
information, especially of a biased or misleading nature, used to promote or publicize a particular political cause or point of view.

Religion is man's oldest form of propaganda. The definition above should make that clear. What is religion? Information, usually from a book, that is used to promote a particular cause or point of view. Every religion claims that every other religion is of a misleading nature, so we can conclude that all of religion is propaganda from one point of view or another.

Whether it be Hinduism, Judaism, Islam, Christianity, Scientology, Mormonism, etc. etc., it is all propaganda in one form or another. All are biased information used to push a particular point of view. The point of view being pushed, regardless of which ideology it belongs to, is the existence of a particular god and set of codes and rituals.

Let's take a look at the etymology of the word propaganda:

1718, "committee of cardinals in charge of Catholic missionary work," short for Congregatio de Propaganda Fide "congregation for propagating the faith," a committee of cardinals established 1622 by Gregory XV to supervise foreign missions. The word is properly the ablative fem. gerundive of Latin propagare (see propagation). Hence, "any movement to propagate some practice or ideology" (1790). Modern political sense dates from World War I, not originally pejorative. Meaning "material or information propagated to advance a cause, etc." is from 1929.

So basically propaganda's etymological roots point toward a word pertaining to the spreading of a particular faith, in the case of this etymological branch: Catholic faith. We all know that Catholicism is the forerunner to all of Christianity and the doctrines it espouses, particularly Jesus' sacrifice for sins. So when you are spreading the "good news", be aware that you are spreading propaganda. This goes for any religion, not just Christianity.

Religion is the oldest conspiracy in the world. As the times change and people begin to wake up to the bull#, those in power create new religions through persecution and genocide in order to keep power. Paganism led the way to monotheism, monotheism will lead the way toward a new brand of faith with a new document(s) of propaganda that will be spread by those forced to believe in it through persecution and coercion.

It is the same story told over and over again, those in power being challenged by the common people only for the common people to be herded together again through force under a new banner of faith.

It's high time we stopped listening to what other people tell us is the truth and for us to start finding our own answers, we need to stop buying and selling this propaganda we call religion.

posted on Sep, 22 2015 @ 02:10 PM
link   
S/F just based on your title!! Bravo.

Okay - now going to read your post.

Brilliant. The etymology of "propaganda" kinda, well - wraps it all up, eh? Yep.

But, on the other hand, I think this new Pope ROCKS!! I'd put him right up there next to Dalai Lama as one of the world's GREAT leaders -
and you know I'm certainly no Catholic. Much of their mysognist patriarchal puritanical stuff needs to be changed, but - he's like an ant moving a rubber tree plant. Still, he's gained some ground!!!!

Good thread.

edit on 9/22/2015 by BuzzyWigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 22 2015 @ 03:32 PM
link   
a reply to: 3NL1GHT3N3D1

i believe organized religion is a way to suppress the truth of who we really are.
like we've discussed before, ourselves being the golden ratio manifested.

i will say thought although i dislike organized religion i do really like the bible especially genesis and revelation.
i believe those two parts of the bible are all thats really needed for personal enlightenment.
edit on 22-9-2015 by Belcastro because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 22 2015 @ 03:37 PM
link   
Is it ironic that you claim all religion is biased propaganda when you are posting your own biased propaganda?

Hate to shatter your casually ignorant illusions but humanity would have torn itself apart without religion a long time ago. So maybe show a minor amount of respect for one of the leading influences on art, literature, culture and architecture and pull your head of your narrow minded ass.

Humans are bad people by nature, for all its flaws, religion regularly saves lost souls. It might not make the world perfect, but there are countless examples of how it has made individual lives and our society as a whole better then if it had never existed.
edit on 22-9-2015 by Thorneblood because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 22 2015 @ 04:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: Thorneblood
... show a minor amount of respect for one of the leading influences on art, literature, culture and architecture and pull your head of your narrow minded ass.

Humans are bad people by nature, for all its flaws, religion regularly saves lost souls. It might not make the world perfect, but there are countless examples of how it has made individual lives and our society as a whole better then if it had never existed.

I think you're pushing too hard. Everything influences everything, and before there was religion, nature was the motivating force on the Arts. Who is to say that if humans skipped organizing their spiritual nature into a book, buildings, and commandments that our race wouldn't have a better overall culture?

Humans are a mixture of good and bad. I'm sure religion has helped a few people but it has (and still does) cause just as much hardship and hate. People naturally know what causes pain, or they learn it--it all depends on the individual. I say our society would have flourished faster if religions never rose their banners.

posted on Sep, 22 2015 @ 04:23 PM
link   
We have always looked up...

We at many points in time have connected (so to speak) with spirits through visions.

Stars and Constellations are where the stories of antiquity are rooted imo.

posted on Sep, 22 2015 @ 04:36 PM
link   
a reply to: WeowWix

Complex religious structures breed complex thought. This is why religious documents and myths are some of the oldest writings, it's why many of our earliest achievements were directly connected to priests aND temples. If we hadn't created religion we would never had created science, and therefore none of what we are doing now would be possible. But please, tell me, which other group would have had the capability of doing that.

Historically speaking, who precisely, would you prefer carried our culture through history the way religion has?

The kings? The warriors? The servants?

posted on Sep, 22 2015 @ 04:46 PM
link   
a reply to: Thorneblood

Many of the ancient wonders were directly connected to religion.

It seems people find the spiritual far more inspiring than the temporal.

posted on Sep, 22 2015 @ 04:53 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Yep, cathedrals and pyramids and sites like Palmyra are gorgeous relics of times gone by.
Awesome. Need to be preserved as great architectural accomplishments.

Doesn't base them on truth. Just on the religious climate and money available (to the super-rich) at the time.

edit on 9/22/2015 by BuzzyWigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 22 2015 @ 04:54 PM
link   

It's a good thing for you that nothing you've said here can be disproven. We would have torn ourselves apart without religion? Animals seem to have done just fine without it, and we are just animals as well aren't we?

posted on Sep, 22 2015 @ 04:57 PM
link   

Again, you are making connections that have no real proof and cannot really be disproven either.

Do you disagree that religion is propaganda? Because it seems to fit the definition quite nicely.

posted on Sep, 22 2015 @ 05:21 PM
link   

Hate to shatter your casually ignorant illusions but humanity would have torn itself apart without religion a long time ago.

I would strongly disagree with that. Nevertheless, history is what it is. So I guess we'll never know.

Humans are bad people by nature...

Have to disagree with that too. We have nothing to gauge that against, accept our own preconceived notions, that arise out of our present society. We have no idea how things might have been vastly different if history had been different. It's the old nature vs. nurture argument. I personally lean toward nurture as much more culpable for our current state as a species.

for all its flaws, religion regularly saves lost souls.

From my perspective, religion has never saved one soul on this planet, from the beginning til now. However, I will concede that as a crutch for a time, it has been helpful to some.

It might not make the world perfect, but there are countless examples of how it has made individual lives and our society as a whole better then if it had never existed.

And there are countless examples of how it has destroyed millions of lives and eradicated whole cultures throughout history. Again, there is nothing to measure your assumption against, considering we don't have a long history of secularism to compare it to.
edit on 9/22/2015 by Klassified because: re-word

posted on Sep, 22 2015 @ 06:01 PM
link   
While I Don't Know A Damn Thing About God...
I Did Get A Crash Course On That Thing Called "The Old Charges..."

It Starts Off With English... Although I Am Spanish.
It Is Propaganda!

Here We Go:

Operation G.O.D. = "General Ordinance Development"...
Codename A.D.A.M. = "Actual Design And Mandate"...

The Cabal-Law (NOT "Caballa")

Left Pillar Of Brute Force (Represented By The Torch Of Freedom):
2. Chevron- Trade And Commerce...
4. Bend- Health And Life (Sanitation)...
7. Saltire- Food And Material Welfare...

Right Pillar Of Gentle Persuasion (Represented By The Book Of Annals):
3. Pile- Arts And Sciences...
5. Pale- Dissemination And Conservation Of Knowledge...
8. Cross- Revealed Religion...

Middle Pillar Of Order (Represented By The Wreath Crown):
1. Chief- Tribal Coordination And Racial Cooperation...
11. Canton- Cabal And Law...
6. Fess- Advanced Tribal Relations...
9. Bars- Domestication And Uitlization Of Animals And Ignorance...
10. Conquest Of All Predatory Animals And Ignorance...

The Orders:
a. Priests And Scholars (Sword)...
b. Rulers And Warriors (Scepter)...
c. Farmers, Merchants, Hunters, And Craftsmen (Cup)...
d. Unskilled Laborers (Pence)...

note: The Spirit Of Life Breathed Into This "A.D.A.M." Is Theology!

Theology:
Buying And Selling...
Supply And Demand...
Loans, Credits, Debts, Interest...
Payments, Taxes, Fees, And Good Faith...
A.K.A. "Usury"...

The 20 And 2 Paths Are 2 Separate Propagandas...
10 Are The Rights Of The People (White)...
12 Are The Barred Practices (Black/For Which They Guard Against)...

It's Complete With Heraldry...
Each Heraldic Charge Is A Ley System... Designed To Represent A Particular Landscape, But Also Used To Note A Charge... Or Branch (A.K.A. Why They Call It A Tree).

The Reason It Shows You Man... Is Because He Is The First Charge. These Are His Duties.
The Star (Hexagram) Represents Two Particulars, Both Equal. The First Is Women And The Second Is Men. Hence "Women & Men". That Is The Holy Spirit Of The Old Charges...

These Concepts Are So Outdated And Primitive It Makes For A Great Waste Of Time.

Father... Son... And Holy Spirit!

The Frist Born Of This Establishment And Order Are The Consecrated Ones.
A.K.A. The Garrison... The Light Of The World. Which We Hope Never Meets Its Demise.
Or The 9th Plague Is The Result : "Darkness!"

I Need To Take A Break... Tablets Make Me Crazy With Their Damn Autocorrect!
edit on 22-9-2015 by Pinocchio because: Caballa... For The Mind!

posted on Sep, 22 2015 @ 06:16 PM
link   
Tubal Cain So Loved His Sister...
And So It Was Passed On In My Crash Course On Caballa...

He Invented The Tools By Which Men Of Honor Build Character.
Gavel = Give All!
Chisel = Choose All!
Trowel = Through All!
Level = Leave All!
Trestle = Trust All!
These Are The Mysteries For Him Who's House Is In Mourning.
The Prize Is Tamara And She Gives Praise... So Be A Man!

Another Part Of My Crash Course Was The Ten Plagues... Also From Caballa!
But These Best Serve As A Propaganda... For As Surely As Hell Is Real... So Too Is A Mighty Hand.

posted on Sep, 22 2015 @ 07:09 PM
link   
Excellent and intriguing point of view. I also agree that religous clergy men and many ministers also are involved in spreading propaganda in teaching false dogmas to the masses. But this is also deeper than just propaganda. There clearly is definitely a well funded, cliendestent, covert, well oiled machine in the works.

The propaganda is and will always be disinformation. The main plan is to keep the people oblivious from the agenda of the elite, which in my opinion is clearly satanic and demonic.

The visions are vast but the message by the messenger's is eternal, and is carved in stone as a fervent lifestyle, and yet they all have their quarrels in matters of theology. They also have many similarities. That would be a whole other topic of discussion.

Your right people are waking up and are clearly conscious in today's times more so than they were in past.

Great thread.

posted on Sep, 22 2015 @ 07:28 PM
link   

Everything you posted is a biased piece of information designed to get people to agree with your point of view, but you seriously think it is somehow different then the religious propaganda you criticize?

What's even more surprising is that you call yourself enlightened one, yet you show no enlightenment by attempting to coerce other people to join your herd when you posted quite clearly that people should think for themselves and not join the newest religious herd....the one you are actually championing.

So which is it op, should I think for myself and see the inherent value in religion or join your herd and call all belief systems (but yours oh wise one) a lie?

posted on Sep, 22 2015 @ 07:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: Thorneblood

It can also be attributed to mans most brutal and offensive acts toward other men and all life as wed know it. So I guess you could say it's a wash. We are no better for having created it than we are had we never thought of it. It did however provide a focus of our attention but this could have also been accomplished in other ways allowing for the same development of art and culture. Possibly without the superstitious or the reliance of lies. But I imagine there would just be different lies.

What we can see now is another round of Religious Control attempting to dominate the world once again. Along with it comes the same brutality as before. The same reliance on superstition, lies and brutality toward men. No wonder it's strongest in places where education is failing, economic security is crumbling and the power of the few rule over the many who have become lost from the poor guidance of those that lead them.

posted on Sep, 22 2015 @ 07:54 PM
link   

Who ever said anyone HAD to join my way of thinking? I can't help that religion fits the definition of propaganda perfectly and is tied to the roots of the word. You'll have to take that up with someone else, I can't help that religion was the origin of the word propaganda.

Sounds like you're mad that I pointed this out. Sorry, but I'm allowed to speak my opinion without you getting angry over it. Maybe you need to analyze why you're getting so butt hurt over my opinion.

posted on Sep, 22 2015 @ 08:08 PM
link   

I'm butthurt, as you put it, because you are spreading propaganda under the guise of telling the truth which is exactly the thing you claim religion does.

You, enlightend one, are a hypocrite. Since you like definitions here:

a person who feigns some desirable or publicly approved attitude, especially one whose private life, opinions, or statements belie his or her public statements.

From the root

1175-1225; Middle English ipocrisie < Old French < Late Latin hypocrisis < Greek hypókrisis play acting, equivalent to hypokrī́ (nesthai) to play a part, explain ( hypo- hypo- + krī́nein to distinguish, separate) + -sis -sis; h- (reintroduced in 16th century) < Latin and Greek

You see, you are playing the part of a priest, spreading the "good news" that we can finally be free of religion if we just believe in your new faith.

You see that, right?

There is no beauty in your cold truth, no glory to be elevated in art or song.

There is no heart. Only the emptInes that you hope exists beyond all this.

I don't pity the faithful for they had the courage to believe, I pity the cowards who abandon all hope and lose faith that there is more then they will ever know.

posted on Sep, 22 2015 @ 08:11 PM
link   

Wow, you're really reading way too far into my post. I was only pointing out that religion is propaganda by the very definition and etymology of the word, then stated my opinion that we should ditch religion. You acting like I'm trying to start some kind of movement on an internet forum is laughable honestly.
edit on 9/22/2015 by 3NL1GHT3N3D1 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join