It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How can Christians be Patriotic?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 16 2015 @ 08:39 PM
link   
Not sure where this thread belongs, it's based on political ideology so I thought it was a nice fit. Mods move if necessary.

I see it all the time on these boards and even in the real world, Christians defending America and being patriotic. For the most part these people are right-leaning Conservative Republicans who spout diatribe at the other side of the aisle.

This is not to ignore the Democratic party because they have their fair share of problems and spout their diatribe to Republicans as well. I believe both parties are fundamentally flawed and are not good for the country we live in, they are used to divide us. I am only focusing on Republicans here because something has come to my attention, something that is in the bible.

1 John 2
15 Do not love the world or the things in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him. 16 For all that is in the world—the lust of the flesh, the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life—is not of the Father but is of the world.

The bible says not to love anything in the world. Is America not in the world and a part of it? Isn't pride for your country fundamentally against what the bible teaches?

These verses got me thinking, so I went in search for other such verses within the bible, and boy are there a lot. I'll post a few for examples.

Romans 12
2 Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect.

Being Republican OR Democrat is conforming to the world and what is in it. Politics is a worldly affair. Those who claim to be Christian yet lean to one side or the other are not true Christians according to the bible.

James 4
4 You adulterous people! Do you not know that friendship with the world is enmity with God? Therefore whoever wishes to be a friend of the world makes himself an enemy of God.

Whoever is a part of a party is a "friend" to that party, and those parties are of worldly affairs.

Colossians 2
8 See to it that no one takes you captive by philosophy and empty deceit, according to human tradition, according to the elemental spirits of the world, and not according to Christ.

Those who lean to either side of the political aisle are held captive by human tradition.

James 1
27 Religion that is pure and undefiled before God, the Father, is this: to visit orphans and widows in their affliction, and to keep oneself unstained from the world.

Those who are either Republican or Democrat and love one side and vilify the other have been polluted by the world.

I think you get the point here. So Christians, how can you justify being patriotic for your country in light of these verses?

posted on Sep, 16 2015 @ 08:50 PM
link   
I thought people don't want 'Christians' to be patriotic.

After all there is that pesky separation of church and state thing they get bashed over the head with.

posted on Sep, 16 2015 @ 08:51 PM
link   
Patriotism doesn't have anything to do with Democrats and Republicans. Patriotism is about appreciating your nation.

posted on Sep, 16 2015 @ 08:57 PM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

Sure, but the fact still remains that political affiliation goes against what the bible teaches just like patriotism does. Loving your nation is loving something in the world, that's big no no apparently.

I'm patriotic toward Earth personally, I don't recognize arbitrary borders. Patriotism toward only one part of the world causes enmity with other parts of it the majority of the time. But this is beside the point of the OP.

posted on Sep, 16 2015 @ 08:58 PM
link   
a reply to: neo96

Not sure where you got that other than the bible. I haven't heard anyone say they don't want Christians to be patriotic.

posted on Sep, 16 2015 @ 09:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: 3NL1GHT3N3D1

Not sure where you got that other than the bible. I haven't heard anyone say they don't want Christians to be patriotic.

Try it comes straight from Jefferson. He didn't write the bible.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Sep, 16 2015 @ 09:06 PM
link   

Separation of Church and State has to do with not letting religious memes influence the government and its policies. It says nothing about not wanting religious people to be patriotic.

posted on Sep, 16 2015 @ 09:06 PM
link   
Since your quoting the bible read Romans 13. Im on my phone so its hard to post the whole verse here but it's essentially telling Christians to respect authority.

posted on Sep, 16 2015 @ 09:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: 3NL1GHT3N3D1

Separation of Church and State has to do with not letting religious memes influence the government and its policies. It says nothing about not wanting religious people to be patriotic.

That's what they call trying to have it both ways.

Basically it's a person choice to be patriotic.

Their call to make alone, and shouldn't be 'shamed' in to it.

link   
a reply to: PeachesNCream

I'm aware of the passage. It kind of flies in the face of the bible saying not to be conformed to the world. Obeying worldly authority is basically conforming to it.

link   
I think it's more aligned to naturists (not the naked kind) and pagans and tree huggers etc...

Worshipping the world instead of God.

I don't think patriotism amounts to worship.
For some it might.

posted on Sep, 16 2015 @ 09:11 PM
link   

I'm only pointing out what the bible says. People can choose how they like, it makes no difference to me, but if they are patriotic and love their country they are basically breaking biblical theology and are at enmity with God. James 4:4 says so in plain words.

posted on Sep, 16 2015 @ 09:14 PM
link   
a reply to: CharlieSpeirs
People who are willing to die for their country are what we call patriots, in that sense Christian soldiers were making themselves an enemy of God when they decided to die for their country.

Not trying to ruffle any feathers here, just calling it how I see it.

posted on Sep, 16 2015 @ 09:16 PM
link   
a reply to: 3NL1GHT3N3D1

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." Ecclesiastes 10: 2 Everybody uses the Bible for their on purpose, especially the non Christians. My history professor said that separation of church and state was to keep the government out of church not the other way around.

posted on Sep, 16 2015 @ 09:16 PM
link   

Depends on interpretation.

Some died for their religious beliefs.
Some died for their rights.
Some died to protect future generations of their family and friends.

Eye of the beholder.

Edit;
They all died for oil and heroin.
That's another interpretation.
edit on 16-9-2015 by CharlieSpeirs because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 16 2015 @ 09:19 PM
link   
a reply to: CharlieSpeirs

Very true, but I'm speaking of those who died for their country specifically. Even those who died for something else were conforming to worldly affairs by enlisting in the army and carrying out worldly conflict.

posted on Sep, 16 2015 @ 09:21 PM
link   

What about characters in the bible like David.. He fought against the Phillistines and killed Goliath he was also known as a "godly" man. He wasn't an enemy of god quite the opposite.

posted on Sep, 16 2015 @ 09:21 PM
link   
a reply to: PeachesNCream

Maybe the god who told him to attack those people wasn't the true God. Just a thought.

posted on Sep, 16 2015 @ 09:23 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

If they're Christian then they are still breaking biblical tenets. Kim Davis is a Democrat, that doesn't mean she's any worse than the Republicans on the matter of the OP.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join