It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Thank God for Tsunami & 2,000 dead Swedes!!!"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 31 2004 @ 04:18 PM
link   
No, the subject of this thread is not mine. It is from the Westboro Baptist Church as reported on Raw Story.

RAW STORY has discovered that the Westboro Baptist Church leaders known for picketing the funeral of Matthew Shepard, the young college student brutally murdered in Wyoming in 1998, have released the following statement regarding the tsunamis which hit Southeast Asia earlier in the week.

The statement, which was posted on their website Wednesday alongside dozens of other archived "press releases," thanks God for the tsunami and for the death of any gay Swedish vacationers who perished at the time.

To take this tragic event, and turn it into a gift from God for the elimination of gay Swedes potentially vacationing in the tsunami affected regions is probably the most sickening demonstration of how demented these people and their interpretation of their religion have become.

Oh, and what about the supposed other 118,000 non-gay, non-swede victims? What was their place in Gods grand scheme to wipe out 2,000 supposedly gay Swedes?

Insanity.

Edit: Mods, when I clicked post the first time, it said there was already a thread with this subject. Thinking i had been beaten to the punch with this, I spent a good time boolean searching and even browsing through forums for a similar thread. After finding nothing, I put the exact same subject again, hit post and it went through and published the thread. *shrug*

[edit on 31-12-2004 by cargo]

posted on Dec, 31 2004 @ 04:32 PM
link   
While it's a sickening story and it is hard for the average human being to
believe there are actually people like this out there.

My view is, the less webspace you give these idiots the better

posted on Dec, 31 2004 @ 04:36 PM
link   
I am always shocked by people like this making statements like this but I shouldn't be because I worked with a person just like that once.

jm

edited for fingers going faster than brain ...

[edit on 31-12-2004 by justme1640]

posted on Dec, 31 2004 @ 04:47 PM
link   
Sounds analgous to something that a extremeist muslim would say about
pretty much any disaster that killed lots of "infidels".

I guess a-holes still come in ALL religious flavors..

posted on Jan, 1 2005 @ 04:14 AM
link   
I think this tells us all we need to know about the author of this vitriol:

www.adl.org...

It's not only Swedes who anger Mr. Phelps:

www.godhatesfags.com...

In the Westboro Baptist Church there is plenty of hate to go around.

While I don't approve of the agenda of the homosexual movement, I certainly don't approve of these tactics or this doctrine, either.

[edit on 05/1/1 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Jan, 1 2005 @ 04:23 PM
link   
Yupp, I did alot of research on good old Westboro- they're probably one of the worst churches around. I found that God Hates Fags website awhile back after working up an article in support of a gay-straight alliance club at my shcool (i seem to be saying that phrase alot lately, pardon me if you are getting tired of it haha). of course, the article wa not printed..."too controversial."

I'm surprised they haven't mentioned the Indians, the Indonesians, the Africans, and all others who died in the tsunami. Just the Swedes? Wht about the rest? Westboro's motto seems to be "kill everyone that isnt rich, white, and christian" so why stop with the Swedes.

I must say, westboro disgusts me. sadly this man:
just loks like a little kids grandafther. he doesnt appear like the disgusting, hate filled bigot he is.

I do find it funny that westboro provides "god hates fags" en espanol! ironic? or hypocritical? no se!

posted on Jan, 1 2005 @ 08:46 PM
link   
You know people with this much bile and hatred swirling around in them it's like a sickness.

You can almost feel pity, albeit a cautious pity you'd have for a rabid dog.

posted on Jan, 1 2005 @ 10:48 PM
link   
Here is a correspondence between me and Mr. Phelps. You will need to read this from the bottom to the top, as I C&P'd from the email. I changed all references to myself to my screen name, for anonymity.

----- Original Message -----
To: Jon Phelps
Sent: Saturday, January 01, 2005 21:14
Subject: Re: God Hates?

"Don�t be hating on us because we have provided you an aide in your studies at our web pages."

I didn't say I hated you, Mr. Phelps. I have been commanded to love you.

Matt.22

36] Master, which is the great commandment in the law?
[37] Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.
[38] This is the first and great commandment.
[39] And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.
[40] On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.

Mark 12

[30] And thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind, and with all thy strength: this is the first commandment.
[31] And the second is like, namely this, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. There is none other commandment greater than these.

Luke 10

[27] And he answering said, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy strength, and with all thy mind; and thy neighbour as thyself.

1 Cor. 13
[1] Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal.
[2] And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries, and all knowledge; and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, and have not charity, I am nothing.
[3] And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned, and have not charity, it profiteth me nothing.
[4] Charity suffereth long, and is kind; charity envieth not; charity vaunteth not itself, is not puffed up,
[5] Doth not behave itself unseemly, seeketh not her own, is not easily provoked, thinketh no evil;
[6] Rejoiceth not in iniquity, but rejoiceth in the truth;
[7] Beareth all things, believeth all things, hopeth all things, endureth all things.
[8] Charity never faileth: but whether there be prophecies, they shall fail; whether there be tongues, they shall cease; whether there be knowledge, it shall vanish away.
[9] For we know in part, and we prophesy in part.
[10] But when that which is perfect is come, then that which is in part shall be done away.
[11] When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things.
[12] For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known.
[13] And now abideth faith, hope, charity, these three; but the greatest of these is charity.

John 17

[28] Bless them that curse you, and pray for them which despitefully use you.

Luke.6

[27] But I say unto you which hear, Love your enemies, do good to them which hate you,
[28] Bless them that curse you, and pray for them which despitefully use you.
[29] And unto him that smiteth thee on the one cheek offer also the other; and him that taketh away thy cloke forbid not to take thy coat also.
[30] Give to every man that asketh of thee; and of him that taketh away thy goods ask them not again.
[31] And as ye would that men should do to you, do ye also to them likewise.
[32] For if ye love them which love you, what thank have ye? for sinners also love those that love them.
[33] And if ye do good to them which do good to you, what thank have ye? for sinners also do even the same.
[34] And if ye lend to them of whom ye hope to receive, what thank have ye? for sinners also lend to sinners, to receive as much again.
[35] But love ye your enemies, and do good, and lend, hoping for nothing again; and your reward shall be great, and ye shall be the children of the Highest: for he is kind unto the unthankful and to the evil.
[36] Be ye therefore merciful, as your Father also is merciful.
[37] Judge not, and ye shall not be judged: condemn not, and ye shall not be condemned: forgive, and ye shall be forgiven:
[38] Give, and it shall be given unto you; good measure, pressed down, and shaken together, and running over, shall men give into your bosom. For with the same measure that ye mete withal it shall be measured to you again.
[39] And he spake a parable unto them, Can the blind lead the blind? shall they not both fall into the ditch?
[40] The disciple is not above his master: but every one that is perfect shall be as his master.
[41] And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother's eye, but perceivest not the beam that is in thine own eye?
[42] Either how canst thou say to thy brother, Brother, let me pull out the mote that is in thine eye, when thou thyself beholdest not the beam that is in thine own eye? Thou hypocrite, cast out first the beam out of thine own eye, and then shalt thou see clearly to pull out the mote that is in thy brother's eye.
[43] For a good tree bringeth not forth corrupt fruit; neither doth a corrupt tree bring forth good fruit.
[44] For every tree is known by his own fruit. For of thorns men do not gather figs, nor of a bramble bush gather they grapes.
[45] A good man out of the good treasure of his heart bringeth forth that which is good; and an evil man out of the evil treasure of his heart bringeth forth that which is evil: for of the abundance of the heart his mouth speaketh.
[46] And why call ye me, Lord, Lord, and do not the things which I say?

[47] Whosoever cometh to me, and heareth my sayings, and doeth them, I will shew you to whom he is like:
[48] He is like a man which built an house, and digged deep, and laid the foundation on a rock: and when the flood arose, the stream beat vehemently upon that house, and could not shake it: for it was founded upon a rock.
[49] But he that heareth, and doeth not, is like a man that without a foundation built an house upon the earth; against which the stream did beat vehemently, and immediately it fell; and the ruin of that house was great.

God bless you, Mr. Phelps.

[Grady Philpott]

----- Original Message -----
To: [Grady Philpott]
Sent: Saturday, January 01, 2005 11:53
Subject: RE: God Hates?

Dear Hategood* [Philpott]:

You are not �familiar� with the concept of God�s love, unless you are familiar with God�s hatred. Malachi 1:1-5.

�1 � The burden of the word of the LORD to Israel by Malachi.

2 I have loved you, saith the LORD. Yet ye say, Wherein hast thou loved us? Was not Esau Jacob�s brother? saith the LORD: yet I loved Jacob,

3 And I hated Esau, and laid his mountains and his heritage waste for the dragons of the wilderness.

4 Whereas Edom saith, We are impoverished, but we will return and build the desolate places; thus saith the LORD of hosts, They shall build, but I will throw down; and they shall call them, The border of wickedness, and, The people against whom the LORD hath indignation for ever.

5 And your eyes shall see, and ye shall say, The LORD will be magnified from the border of Israel.�

The Westboro Baptist Church of Topeka, Kansas, uses www.godhatesfags.com and www.godhatesamerica.com, among other methodology, to faithfully magnify the Lord from the border of Israel. Thereby we testify truthfully to the record that God has made of his Son, the Lord Jesus Christ. You either believe from the heart, by the divine grace of God, or you do not believe the record that God has made of his Son. 1 John 5:10. Thereby you are saved or condemned. As Noah faithfully preached for 120 years while he built the Ark, and thereby condemned 16 billion in the antediluvian world; we faithfully preach to this generation and thereby condemn the billions in this world. Including Mr. [Philpott]? Hebrews 11:7.

You appear to be willingly ignorant of the Bible. You have the same duty as we do to study the Bible and rightly divide the word of truth. 2 Timothy 2:15. Don�t be hating on us because we have provided you an aide in your studies at our web pages.

Finally, you have blasphemed God enough in this e-mail to spend eternity in hell. Characterizing the work of the church of the Lord Jesus Christ is tantamount to the unpardonable sin Jesus Christ preached against in Matthew 12:31. Watch out Mr. Pusillanimous [Philpott]. Luke 9:26 �For whosoever shall be ashamed of me and of my words, of him shall the Son of man be ashamed, when he shall come in his own glory, and in his Father�s, and of the holy angels.�

That�ll be all donkey.

Jonathan B. Phelps

* See John Bunyan�s �Pilgrim�s Progress� about Judge Hategood. cyberspacei.com...

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Saturday, January 01, 2005 4:07 AM
To: [email protected]
Subject: God Hates?

In the Christian faith I am familiar with God is love. Certainly, we can agree that the "wages of sin is death," but I can hardly see that there is anything on your site that involves the love of God. Is such vitriol necessary? Can't the truth of God's word be preached without making yourselves seem like Nazis? I respect your rights, but your message is lost, in my mind, in the viciousness of your attacks.

[edit on 05/1/1 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Jan, 2 2005 @ 12:11 AM
link   
It is such a shame that some seek to pervert the bible, torah, koran, etc. to preach their message of hate. I hope that people who stumble across Phelps message are able to see through it and condemn him for the schmuck that he is.

Man of god my arse.

B.

posted on Jan, 2 2005 @ 02:18 AM
link   
Thanks for posting your correspondance Grady. As I have heard of this twit and his sites before (regarding the Matthew Shepherd murder) I didn't look into it much until I read this latest Tsunami/Swede rubbish.

I would be interested to hear what he says in reply, if he does at all. I have nothing against religion as long as it is kept personal. Often with zealots like this guy, the truth goes unanswered or the answers run in ridiculous circles.

posted on Jan, 2 2005 @ 02:35 AM
link   

I would be interested to hear what he says in reply, if he does at all.

I imagine he will reply with Selective quotes from the bible,
to justify his vile ideology.
I have no objections to religion either BTW.

posted on Jan, 2 2005 @ 04:10 AM
link   
I think people like Grady probably enrage such despots even more than fags do because Grady has shown the right and dignified way to go about practicing his beliefs and in the proccess proving how deficient this monster is in his religious practices.

posted on Jan, 2 2005 @ 02:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by cargo
I would be interested to hear what he says in reply, if he does at all.

I will certainly post Mr. Phelps' response, if he replies at all. I, too, doubt that he will. Based on his previous response, I am guessing that Mr. Phelps has some form of mental disorder, based upon his rigidness of thought, hyper-defensiveness, and his odd use of metaphor.

What is more, he seems to have failed to grasp the loving Father concept that Jesus taught in contrast to the God of wrath described through much of the Old Testament.

It is not so much that Mr. Phelps' message is wrong, for the Bible teaches and experience confirms that those behaviors that have become known as sin do have very negative consequences. What Mr. Phelps fails to perceive is that the advent of Jesus heralded a new relationship between man and God.

Jesus rejected the estranged, angry God who must be placated through mindless ritual and blind adherence to the law and preached the loving Fatherhood of God and the brotherhood of man. Jesus also taught, "Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me."

And this is the message that shines so brightly in the life of Christ to those who manage to remove the "beam" from their own eye--that God is our Father and that we, like Jesus, are his children.

[edit on 05/1/2 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Jan, 4 2005 @ 07:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott
And this is the message that shines so brightly in the life of Christ to those who manage to remove the "beam" from their own eye--that God is our Father and that we, like Jesus, are his children.

[edit on 05/1/2 by GradyPhilpott]

Grady, I could not agree more. A true Christian with faith does not herald the death of sinners as a good thing but morns their passing without faith. I know of some churches who would run homosexuals, gang members, drug dealers, and any other unsavory characters out but if a church is doing what it should, these are the very people it should be trying to get in. To cast someone out because of a heathen nature is to condemn them to it for eternity.

posted on Jan, 5 2005 @ 08:29 AM
link   
Wow Grady,

You never cease to amaze me. I have found a newly formed respect for you. We may differ in many views but at least on this issue we agree. I take back all negative things I've said about you (on here and in my own house lol). Have a great new year everyone and lets all pray for those that lost their lives and who are still missing in this disaster.

posted on Jan, 5 2005 @ 08:31 AM
link   
Oh...on a side note. Doesn't Mr. Phelps look like the guy in the poltergiest movies? That guy was a wicked pastor also.....coincidence?...I think not.

posted on Jan, 7 2005 @ 02:21 AM
link   
Actually I was wondering who he reminded me of!

He's also got that 'not one of his neighbours would have guessed that the kindly old gent at the end of the street had 30 plus bodies buried in the basement' look about him too.

posted on Jan, 10 2005 @ 11:22 PM
link   
did you hear about this waste of human life's protest at Mr. Rogers' funeral? Mr. Rogers was as fine a human being as they come, and apparently, the reverend thought that by telling children that they are fine just the way they are, Mr. Rogers wasn't doing his part to inform gays that they are doomed to burn in hell.

posted on Apr, 10 2005 @ 08:48 PM
link   
He's a strange one. One of his sons broke away from his (mainly) family church and his tales of abuse and oppression make for harrowing reading. If I can find the link I'll post it later.

Kiwimac

top topics

join