It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Los Angeles In The 50's

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 10 2015 @ 11:25 AM
link   
Here is more cool videos I've found of life back in the day. These are from various locations of daily life in 1950's L.A. I love these types of videos. I imagine this is what it would be like to stare out the window of your time machine if one existed. It would be so amazing to step out for one day and walk around.

I'm not familiar with L.A., so I'm hoping some L.A. ATS members can recognize some of the areas in the videos and talk about how it has or hasn't changed.

Enjoy a glimpse back in time.

edit on 10-9-2015 by jtrenthacker because: Words is hard

posted on Sep, 10 2015 @ 11:33 AM
link   
Now I want to watch dragnet.....
This is the city..

posted on Sep, 10 2015 @ 11:38 AM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

GeGe Life.

posted on Sep, 10 2015 @ 11:51 AM
link   
I would take any of those cars or trucks right now. Even any of the trams, trains, buses, motorcycles...

That's when cars were a work of art.

Jude

edit on 9 10 2015 by jude11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 10 2015 @ 11:56 AM
link   
a reply to: jtrenthacker

Now imagine in 65 years - people will be able to view a pretty much endless supply of HD videos of what life was like in 2015.

I mean, who really knows what life will be like in 2080... but damn...

Cool post.
S&F -

posted on Sep, 10 2015 @ 11:56 AM
link   
I don't personally know nothing about L.A in the 1950's.

But the people living 2015 L.A are extremely luckily. You're currently inhabiting the capital of modern day western society... I'm sure the prestige is totally lost on you though.

posted on Sep, 10 2015 @ 12:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: jude11
I would take any of those cars or trucks right now. Even any of the trams, trains, buses, motorcycles...

That's when cars were a work of art.

Jude

I live in a town that just had its annual car auction and you would be happy as a pig in poop here.
85k in attendance this year.
the auburn, cord, duesenburg festival. It's the place to be if you like classic cars like the ones on those videos.

posted on Sep, 10 2015 @ 12:18 PM
link   
These photos are obviously faked. I've watched enough Perry Mason to know that LA in the 50's was black and white. Color wasn't invented until the 60's.

posted on Sep, 10 2015 @ 12:20 PM
link   
Without L.A and Hollywood in general, the world would be in total chaos... That's the truth of the matter.

edit on 10-9-2015 by Subaeruginosa because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 10 2015 @ 01:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Subaeruginosa

There's nothing prestigious about living in L.A., or Southern California in general, for that matter. Trust me, I did it for 19 years--the politics and environment there are ruining that area of the state.

The only thing lost on those who have lived there and then lived a similar amount of time away from there is the answer to the question: Why didn't I move out of there earlier?

posted on Sep, 10 2015 @ 01:59 PM
link   
a reply to: SlapMonkey

Yeah, obviously southern cali would be far to liberated for you personally. The middle southern united states would probably far better conform to your personal politics.

But just the fact that you possess a citizenship that allows you to live in regions with such extremely different political stances, is a perfect example of how privileged you actually are.

Though, I doubt you actually appreciate it.

posted on Sep, 10 2015 @ 07:01 PM
link   
must have been great
here is a highlight from the era

en.wikipedia.org...

McCarthyism is the practice of making accusations of subversion or treason without proper regard for evidence. It also means "the practice of making unfair allegations or using unfair investigative techniques, especially in order to restrict dissent or political criticism."[1] The term has its origins in the period in the United States known as the Second Red Scare, lasting roughly from 1950 to 1956 and characterized by heightened political repression against communists, as well as a campaign spreading fear of their influence on American institutions and of espionage by Soviet agents. Originally coined to criticize the anti-communist pursuits of Republican U.S. Senator Joseph McCarthy of Wisconsin, "McCarthyism" soon took on a broader meaning, describing the excesses of similar efforts. The term is also now used more generally to describe reckless, unsubstantiated accusations, as well as demagogic attacks on the character or patriotism of political adversaries.

posted on Sep, 10 2015 @ 08:54 PM
link   
a reply to: TinySickTears

Today, we call it "Patriot Act" and "Homeland Security"

new topics

top topics

join