It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wiccans cutting holes in circle boundary ????

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 9 2015 @ 04:33 PM
link   
Hello fellow ATS'rs. I am having difficulty in coming up with the correct words to help explain something.
The subject of which is that Wiccans believe that they are developing a cone of power around them in a circle and that if anyone wants to leave the circle they must cut a hole in the "wall" with their athame as to let the person out, and then to close the "wall" so that everyone in the circle is still protected.

I have tried to explain to a few Wiccan friends that this whole cutting a hole in the wall is pretty new-age stuff but they are assured that it is a very old custom and that they can feel the power of the circle and they can feel if the "wall" gets cut. They claim it has all these powers and that a "witch" knows this to be true.

I tell them all the time I am not Wiccan and don't subscribe to their new-age fuzzy bunny stuff, that a more traditional witch wouldn't be calling in the quarters because Wicca is a new religion based on a mishmash of various beliefs that hold little traditional practices.

But they simply don't believe me because they think their practice is super old.
Then in the same breath they say they know nothing about "traditional witchcraft" - I only care because I have been placed in the circle to teach what I know, not by my own volition but by the high priestess of the circle.
I have shown them many, many things that are not in their books and they tell me all the time that they feel the "traditional path" is something they want badly after having the experiences we have had together.

So my question to you is this.... how can I explain to them the practice of calling the quarters and cutting a hole in the "wall" and re-sealing "the hole" is loosely based on some other belief systems and has nothing to do with Pre-Christian England, Scotland, Ireland, Wales?

Please be kind in response and don't bash.... this is a real question that I am trying to help my friends understand. I just simply lack the time and effort to put forth reading about a vast array of religions just to give a meaningful answer. Thanks

posted on Sep, 9 2015 @ 04:41 PM
link   
a reply to: SachaX

Are you yourself pagan of some sort?

posted on Sep, 9 2015 @ 04:44 PM
link   

For what purpose would there be for leaving the sacred circle prior to release of those called forth and closing of the circle? To take a cell call? Potty break?

Once the circle is cast, any opening leaves those within vulnerable to that which is without.
edit on 9-9-2015 by NewzNose because: typo

posted on Sep, 9 2015 @ 04:45 PM
link   
Burn the witches!!.
Burn the Pagans burn burn burn!!.

Maybe leave em be OP If they are not harming anyone or encroaching on others peoples rights let em think what they want.
Better then organised religion anyhow whatever these witches believe.

We need ATS's best Witch in this thread.
edit on 9-9-2015 by boymonkey74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2015 @ 04:46 PM
link   
a reply to: Kali74

yes

posted on Sep, 9 2015 @ 04:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: NewzNose

For what purpose would there be for leaving the sacred circle prior to release of those called forth and closing of the circle? To take a cell call? Potty break?

Once the circle is cast, any opening leaves those within vulnerable to that which is without.

Hi NewzNose, it's been a while! Hope things are going well.
Anyway... they leave for watever reason - potty break, mostly.

posted on Sep, 9 2015 @ 04:50 PM
link   
In traditional witchcraft, (english, irish, gaelic, welsh) the circle is there for protection. It should never be compromised until the ritual is complete. Cutting a hole into it would completely negate the entire purpose of the circle.

But since magic is not real, you can safely tell them that they are free to make up anything they wish.

posted on Sep, 9 2015 @ 04:55 PM
link   

So much history has been lost and so many scam artists found. I don't practice anymore but I think whatever it is that connects you to that energy, prayer, spells, ritual in whatever flavor of religion... is what a person should do, even if it wasn't always so.

posted on Sep, 9 2015 @ 04:57 PM
link   

Hello, Sacha! Things are quite interesting. We living in intensifying times of concern and interest.

If they have to leave to go potty, they should not be included in the circle, IMO. The opening of a doorway should be used for extreme emergency and, I'd rather have the circle closed completely instead.

Solitairies don't have this prob.

posted on Sep, 9 2015 @ 04:59 PM
link   
a reply to: Woodcarver

Magic is constantly afoot. You are just untuned to it's vibrations.

posted on Sep, 9 2015 @ 05:11 PM
link   
I will personally hand you $10,000 if you can prove that magic is real. That goes for any one who wishes to participate.

a reply to: NewzNose

posted on Sep, 9 2015 @ 05:13 PM
link   

You can pay me in bananas.

posted on Sep, 9 2015 @ 05:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: Woodcarver
In traditional witchcraft, (english, irish, gaelic, welsh) the circle is there for protection. It should never be compromised until the ritual is complete. Cutting a hole into it would completely negate the entire purpose of the circle.

They are stuck in the belief that if someone needs to leave for emergency reasons that a hole should be cut in the wall with the athame and resealed when the person has left.

But my question is the comparative religion question.

posted on Sep, 9 2015 @ 05:21 PM
link   

My point is that all "magicians" are starting in the middle of the problem. First you should begin to bring this process into the realm of science. Then you can check for yourself whether cutting a "hole" in an imaginary circle has any effect.

posted on Sep, 9 2015 @ 05:27 PM
link   

This post was not intended to discuss whether magic is real or not.
This post was created because the high priestess asked me how she can feel different about cutting holes in the wall because she was trained as a Wiccan.

posted on Sep, 9 2015 @ 05:52 PM
link   
It is a very old custom. During any type of dangerous ritual, no one should be going out of the circle for any reason. But no hole has to be cut. One person walking out of an unbroken circle won't 'let anything bad' in. The circle keeps bad 'entities' out. It doesn't prevent humans from going in or out nor does it do anything to the integrity of the circle.

A circle of protection does not have it's roots in Wicca. Any Wiccan knows it has been adopted into Wicca, a lot of which is based on actual witchcraft.

The practice of making the circle, closing it, opening it or leaving it intact as someone walks out is 'super old'. Is it that you want to tell them that Wicca itself is about 100 years old? That can be googled.

posted on Sep, 9 2015 @ 07:37 PM
link   
a reply to: NewzNose

Well I suppose you have to leave the circle to kiss Baphomets # and seal your pact with the devil /sarc

posted on Sep, 9 2015 @ 08:43 PM
link   

I don't except money. But you will know when it happens.

posted on Sep, 9 2015 @ 08:44 PM
link   
a reply to: 0 x 0

I kiss nothings a##!

posted on Sep, 9 2015 @ 08:45 PM
link   
a reply to: reldra

Lol, a young opinion is a refreshing thing.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join