It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are things getting better or are they getting worse?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 6 2015 @ 06:43 AM
link   
Perspective is a fascinating thing.

One person's garbage is another one's treasure. One company's failure is another one's success. One society's villain is another one's hero. Are you dying to live your life, or living your life to die?

One group seems to think things are getting better. They believe the power and influence of the Elite is dwindling and the average person is starting to wake up more now than ever before. Large-scale wars are unlikely, social justice is becoming more widespread and people are generally more tolerant and peaceful compared to times past. Faith in new technologies and scientific research means there is hope for the future in terms of securing quality of life for the average person as population sizes increase.

The second group seems to think things are getting worse. They believe world events are playing right into the goals of the Elite and the number of people waking up remains insignificant. Large-scale wars are likely to break out in the near future, racism and ethnic tensions are increasing and people are more agitated and on-edge. Technological advancements are unlikely to address the problems of overpopulation and dwindling resources.

Do you identify with one of the above, or do you think there is a middle-ground when it comes to analyzing the state of affairs of this world and humanity as a whole?

posted on Sep, 6 2015 @ 06:47 AM
link   
I would like to think things are better now than ever

posted on Sep, 6 2015 @ 06:47 AM
link   
a reply to: Dark Ghost

I feel privileged to be alive today when billions of humans have lived in the past in far darker days.
I think we are heading in the right direction we just have to get rid of some old ways and grow up a little more.
I think the thing that will sort us out once and for all is ET contact It will unify the world to not us v them but us v ET.

I think it does depend on where you are born tbh, us in the west have great lives compared to others.
Lets hope we will sort it out for all of us.

posted on Sep, 6 2015 @ 07:03 AM
link   
My glass is half full.
I use to think it was half empty

posted on Sep, 6 2015 @ 07:03 AM
link   
I guess it all depends on how you ask if things are getting better, I believe that your age and life experience can answer more accurately than someone in their twenty's.

I guess I am in the middle, some things have improved while others not so much.

Medical field I would have to say has come a long way, but why is it that if you need insulin to live why is it that they(pharmaceutical company's) charge a arm and leg.

Government has defiantly gone down the dark path ( I don't need to explain this)

Technology is great otherwise I would not be here replying to this, but Technology is making us see and hear more news, ideas, thoughts of others ect, but it has been shown that it can create all kinds of trouble in society. Social media is taking the personal touch out of communicating with others.

these are just a few of the things that pop right out on why I say I am in the Middle, for every good there is something negative.

posted on Sep, 6 2015 @ 07:09 AM
link   

So with this picture i kinda told about 3-4 generations up front. Now you solve it!

posted on Sep, 6 2015 @ 07:09 AM
link   
a reply to: boymonkey74

I gave a little riddle

posted on Sep, 6 2015 @ 07:17 AM
link   
a reply to: yulka
Everything is Gods play. We are all actors, and audience members simultaneously and none of us know whats written in the script, for the next chapter. So some men out of fear try to write it themselves, and so they become actors in Man's play, in which Egos are always competing for the lead role.

posted on Sep, 6 2015 @ 07:28 AM
link   
a reply to: nonjudgementalist

Everything is already written in stone, if you know where to look.

posted on Sep, 6 2015 @ 07:37 AM
link   
Personally I think we are going in the wrong direction. Number one cause for this is psychiatry. It's a movement that will label every individual as either healthy or unhealthy. Sooner or later they'll just label everyone religious as being unhealthy and this will make people leave religion en masse.

Still I think religion is better for the human psyche than psychiatry is (having to choose between two evils), if only because religion at least argues (whether or not the arguments are valid) while psychiatry is more robotic like with preprogrammed beliefs taken as scientific fact and people don't talk but the solution comes from a pill. Which isn't really a solution, just a means to shut the other up. Theoretically psychiatry could round up all religious folks today and force them medication if they had the manpower. Ofcourse it would be too obvious, people haven't forgotten about the razzia's back in WW2 and the faithful might band together and protest succesfully since they are too large a group. But in a few decades more people will leave Church and more people will have no other option for their mental peace but to go to a psychiatrist.

Number two reason would be automation and the massive job losses it will cause while the general population or politicians don't appear to be worried about this.

Third problem is the massive relocation of people mainly from the Middle East to Europe, South Americans to North America, Asians to western countries like Austrialia, New Zealand. It's a recipe for civil war.

Then there are the other problems like debts, pollution. But hey there's still food and clothing in the shops, gas at the stations, people can still get a job and a home, only a few terrorist attacks, things could be a lot worse.
edit on 6-9-2015 by johnnyjoe1979 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2015 @ 07:37 AM
link   
I know where we've been and I know what direction we're heading. If we're not careful, we could, are, will end up like this.

The problem seems to be that one part of civilization furthers the destruction of the planets eco systems because they don't have a choice, they are lying, in denial or 'going along' with the program, while the other side promotes the further destruction to get rich off the rest of humanity.

posted on Sep, 6 2015 @ 07:46 AM
link   

Location, location, location?

If we lived under the rule of Islamic State, we might think the world is getting worse. Their belief system actively pursues the world getting worse and it's imposed on the poor bastards who aren't able to flee. Likewise, the people who live in failing nations like Somalia and Sierra Leone won't have a lot of hope for the future...or those with Boko Haram hiding behind the tree-line.

Then again, if we lived out in Bel-Air, we'd probably take the view that everything's awesome and the future is shiny.

Oddly enough, I've never felt as anxious for the future as I do these days. So many refugees and migrants and we're a Chinese sneeze away from another recession. The change in climate and the shifting populations foreshadows profound upheavals in the coming decades.

Needless to say, I'm a student of history and recognise these things are transitory. The desert of North Africa was once fertile and whilst Europe underwent the 'Dark Ages,' the Middle East was enjoying its version of our Renaissance. It seems that whenever a cloud hangs over one population, another one is getting the sunshine. In that spirit, Islamic State will become a memory and the world will have to get used to massive population movements.

The future will look after itself and we should count our blessings that we live in a settled, stable part of the world in a time of peace.

posted on Sep, 6 2015 @ 08:38 AM
link   
In my opinion... both.

I tend to lean toward agreement with some scientists and cosmologists that we are in the process of transitioning slowly into a type 1 civilization. A global civilization. But in that transition are both the greatest periods of risk and the most potential for unimaginable rewards.

It is often described as a race between the forces of intolerance and the myriad ways in which we might destroy ourselves, and the forces of egalitarian progress. Both are accelerating. Both are becoming more potent in terms of their respective impacts, and their clashes with one another more tumultuous and explosive. Hence the greater risk.

On the bright side:

We're living longer. We're more globally conscious. We are globally connected via the internet. Things like Periscope are empowering us to view other cultures and peoples as more similar to us than dissimilar, thus undermining propaganda to the contrary. Medical technology has improved exponentially. Cars that don't use fossil fuels are finally beginning to become cost effective, as are alternative energy storage mediums. And that efficiency will only improve going forward.

Understanding of how individual markets impact the global economy are improving, and adjustments being made cooperatively in an effort to better manage that (if only out of necessity and self-interest largely, rather than any humanitarian aims necessarily.)

Racism and ethnic hatred is beginning to give way to an expanding humanist egalitarianism in different forms, especially as the younger generation(s) come to the fore. There's still a LONG way to go on this front as readily demonstrated by recent events in the U.S. and elsewhere, but it IS happening incrementally imho, even if can seem like it isn't at times.

International arms treaties are reducing, though not eliminating, the risk of catastrophic nuclear warfare. And international climate cooperation at least provides the prospect of heading off disaster on that front. (If you don't believe in AWG, feel free to disagree. Just my opinion.)

On the NOT so rosy side:

Income, resource, and scarcity inequality are devastating large populations and their economies. Climate change appears to be accelerating that process. This is in turn increasing tensions and the probability of violence. Access to quality medical care has not reached the most indigent parts of our species yet.

Those who control the global economy remain largely comprised of those whose self-interest exceeds their capacity for egalitarianism. They have demonstrated a penchant for clinging to their wealth at the expense of people the world over in the face of financial crises, and this is unlikely to abate anytime soon. The global economy itself remains fragile despite recovery, and is under increasing pressure from climate change, increased military engagement with emerging and partly unanticipated threats, social upheaval, and (arguably) unstable financial instruments.

Racism, factionalism, and hatred have rebounded more loudly and violently than ever in some cases, as if in response to their curtailing. The last gasps of older generations' declining bigotry, or a rising, growing threat? Time will tell.

Violent extremists have become more brazen and successful than ever in their impact in various regions. The situation has become both a geopolitical and humanitarian crisis of almost unprecedented proportions.

While nuclear arms treaties reduce risk, so long as countries maintain first strike capabilities, there is a continually increasing statistical likelihood of nuclear war eventually, even purely through error. We don't know what the probability is, but I read a study which fairly convincingly demonstrated that whatever it is, eventually it is virtually guaranteed to happen so long as these weapons remain in a ready state. The analogy used was Russian roulette. Eventually you fire the bullet. Even if the probability is so low it takes 100 years, every year that goes by with this capability in place increases the risk.

Despite climate treaties, the world has not succeeded in reducing emissions sufficient to halt global warming at 2 degrees Celsius. And if POP21 does not produce a workable agreement in principle to achieve that by 2020 - 2050, the more probable scenario is that we will reach or exceed 3 degrees Celsius over preindustrial baseline. That places the world in risky territory for the prospect of runaway, uncontrolled climate change and melting that no amount of emissions reduction would then be able to halt. If we approach 4 or 6 degrees eventually, we could be facing a true catastrophe. (Again, if you do not hold with those models, feel free to disagree.)

The post Cold War era of relative stability appears to have given way to a new Cold War between the West and both Russia and, in the Pacific, increasingly, China. Any direct military conflict between these powers would make everything else already plaguing the world - Syria, ISIS, anything - pale in comparison. This is the greatest threat to global peace in the world today, however unlikely such a conflict may be. So long as the risk exists at all, even minuscule though it may be, it remains a threat to our species.

So I say both.

It's just a question of which forces will surpass the others and how humanity will emerge from this period of transition in my opinion. Will we unite as a species in a spirit of good will and progress? Or will we destroy ourselves? Only time will tell. I have hope for the future... tempered by the very real risks I see.

As always, just my personal opinion, and I respect the views of those who disagree.

Peace.
edit on 9/6/2015 by AceWombat04 because: Typo

edit on 9/6/2015 by AceWombat04 because: Typos

posted on Sep, 6 2015 @ 08:53 AM
link   

I don't recognize the USA anymore. Greed has overtaken kindness. Laws have laws.

The light at the end of the tunnel is indeed a speeding train.

We need reontroduction to the ways of our communities, our humanity, and our uniqueness.

It's worse because we must do the "reset" and stand together. It's better because so many are reaching out and answering the call to action.

My money is on humanity.

posted on Sep, 6 2015 @ 09:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: Dark Ghost

One person's garbage is another one's treasure. One company's failure is another one's success. One society's villain is another one's hero. Are you dying to live your life, or living your life to die?

One group seems to think things are getting better. They believe the power and influence of the Elite is dwindling and the average person is starting to wake up more now than ever before. Large-scale wars are unlikely, social justice is becoming more widespread and people are generally more tolerant and peaceful compared to times past. Faith in new technologies and scientific research means there is hope for the future in terms of securing quality of life for the average person as population sizes increase.

The second group seems to think things are getting worse. They believe world events are playing right into the goals of the Elite and the number of people waking up remains insignificant. Large-scale wars are likely to break out in the near future, racism and ethnic tensions are increasing and people are more agitated and on-edge. Technological advancements are unlikely to address the problems of overpopulation and dwindling resources.

Do you identify with one of the above, or do you think there is a middle-ground when it comes to analyzing the state of affairs of this world and humanity as a whole?

It appears to me that the "middle ground" approach is about the only one that offers any validity simply because, as you pointed out, its all a matter of perspective. So....as you pointed out, one group thinks we're now making progress on social justice and that more people are "tolerant", but the opposite to this, the "social justice" activists rant and rave that there's been no progress and that they don't want "tolerance" they demand complete "acceptance".

I guess the middle ground approach would be to take the perspective that this is a work in progress, its a process.

I was only just thinking about much the same topic and the thought popped into my head that we may well see the 2016 election season as one punctuated by unprecedented civil unrest and the worse part is that who ever is elected may well see the civil unrest increase to a near catastrophic level after the election because those behind the civil unrest may not agree with the outcome.

So.....I guess the outcome remains to be seen.

posted on Sep, 8 2015 @ 05:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: piney
My glass is half full.
I use to think it was half empty

Sometimes it's half empty, sometimes it's half full.

But how it became filled with liquid remains a mystery...

edit on 8/9/2015 by Dark Ghost because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 8 2015 @ 07:01 AM
link   
Some say life is like a pendulum, so I suspect that it is getting better for some and worse for others. For me it seems to be getting better, but that it's because I am finally coming out of a situation that has plagued my life for the last 25 years causing me great hardship. If the pendulum theory is correct may I have 25 or so years of good in my life. It has nothing to do with social changes or anything done by someone else.

posted on Sep, 12 2015 @ 12:18 AM
link   
Until ordinary people have acquired whatever technology and abilities are proprietary to the elite, then things will keep getting worse because the elites are constantly evolving and they will continue to develop more proprietary technology to control us while we stagnate and get only the dregs of human advancement. They are ahead of the ordinary people in the arms race, whether that be physical or mental technology, and it seems we will never get to the bottom of their secrets. Something has to be organized and actually happen.

posted on Sep, 12 2015 @ 12:29 AM
link   
If your glass is half empty, maybe the glass is too big. Things are fine with me, I refuse to let outside influences determine my future.

posted on Sep, 12 2015 @ 09:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: Dark Ghost

Really depends on what main topics determine your views. If you are really concerned about economics you may say worse. If your main concerns center around technology you may say better but I have concerns, if your concerns center around environment you may say worse but there's hope, if you view social issues and say more specifically like gay rights you may say better.

My views, not seeing a lot of good and there is only one possible end result. But in general as long as new tv shows, alcohol, and the concept of freedom exists won't be a lot of reaction or thought. Is what it is.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join