It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Great horsemanship

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 2 2015 @ 07:59 PM
link   
If you don't know horses, this should still be somewhat impressive. If you do know horses, this is pretty incredible.

This young woman knows her horse, and he knows and trusts her completely. It's a beautiful thing. This isn't learned, this is something that you're born with.

How many people can do this with their dog?

posted on Sep, 2 2015 @ 08:09 PM
link   
Here's another one, makes me choke up. Different gal, but the same kind of kinship with an animal that's only achieved with understanding. You can't beat a horse into doing this, you have to talk to them and build a trust that's very rare.

Chokes me up, especially when the announcer gets emotional.

Maybe this isn't something special if you didn't grow up with horses, but trust me this isn't easy. "The touch" isn't something you can learn, it's something you're born with. It's even more rare to find a horse that has it too.

posted on Sep, 2 2015 @ 09:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: Domo1
Here's another one, makes me choke up. Different gal, but the same kind of kinship with an animal that's only achieved with understanding. You can't beat a horse into doing this, you have to talk to them and build a trust that's very rare.

Chokes me up, especially when the announcer gets emotional.

Maybe this isn't something special if you didn't grow up with horses, but trust me this isn't easy. "The touch" isn't something you can learn, it's something you're born with. It's even more rare to find a horse that has it too.

I've owned horses my entire life and I have to agree, I've seen this video dozens of times and I am still blown away by it.

posted on Sep, 3 2015 @ 02:16 AM
link   
Stacy Westfall is always amazing to watch... but the first video, not at all.
My horse can do all these things the same. It is pretty basic, especially since she is still using treat rewards.
At least where I am, those "tricks" are usually laughed at as the beginners false idea of horsetraining - their first discovery of how easy it is to teach a horse anything, so use that to teach them totally useless tricks that impress non-horse people.

Like really, is there any reason for a horse to use spanish steps? When collection is what you'll spend your more serious work on to develop and protect the horses body? It is ultimately counterproductive.

I know a few people who taught their horse to rear on command, and ended up with a horse they cannot ride outside an arena, because anything and anyone sets off the response - like seeing a car in front of them.

I get more impressed by disciplines such as cutting, where the ultimate product is a horse that becomes autonomous and applies it's training without the input of a human, (and without treats).

posted on Sep, 3 2015 @ 06:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Domo1

My dad trained thoroughbreds back in the seventies so
I'm down for anything equestrian Domo.

SnF

posted on Sep, 3 2015 @ 06:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Bluesma

At least where I am, those "tricks" are usually laughed at as the beginners false idea of horsetraining - their first discovery of how easy it is to teach a horse anything, so use that to teach them totally useless tricks that impress non-horse people.

Ground work is fundamental and I've been around many a "well trained" horse that has terrible ground manners. I don't agree with the treating, but if she's just beginning to teach the horse it's fine. There are very few horses I would trust enough to approach and sit on while lying down (at this age anyway). They obviously have a very good relationship.

Teaching the spanish step isn't going to cause issues with getting that horse collected under saddle.

I get more impressed by disciplines such as cutting, where the ultimate product is a horse that becomes autonomous and applies it's training without the input of a human, (and without treats).

Yeah, I'm more impressed with cutting horses too. Same with dressage or anything else that takes a ton of discipline and effort and a certain kind of horse. I'm also impressed with people that actually communicate with their horse though, and put in the work and build a special relationship which I see in both videos. Not the $50,000 Western Pleasure horse someone sent off to a trainer so their 10 year old can spur stop.

I like that your horse can do all those "tricks" too, but you think it's a bad idea to teach.

First gal has obviously got a wonderful relationship with the horse, look at the way he's acting. She obviously has "the touch", especially if you read the description. At least we agree on the second vid, I love that series Stacy has on YouTube training up Jac. He reminds me of my second horse, wish I'd had those videos back in the day!

new topics

top topics

join