It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Science and Spirituality: Two Sides of the Same Coin

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 31 2015 @ 11:47 PM
link   

Some will say that science and spirituality are opposed to one another, that they cannot be reconciled because one deals with what can be observed while the other deals with what cannot be observed. Science is concerned with the concrete while spirituality is concerned with the abstract. They say that they are like oil and water and do not mix; this, in my opinion, is nonsense.

There are those who throw out science based on their so-called spirituality, others throw out spirituality based on their so-called science. Both sides of this debate are ignorant to the truth in my opinion, the answer lies in both sides complementing each another, not being totally opposed to the other side based on arbitrary inferences.

In order for us to come to a consensus, I believe we need to merge the two fields into one where both sides compliment one another. This is in no way a new concept and I am not the first to present it, but I think it is an important issue that needs to be discussed nonetheless.

If the two can be reconciled with one another then I believe the world would come to an understanding that we are all the same on the inside and that love is the answer. You may think I am jumping to conclusions here but I hold it to be true nonetheless.

Duality

The universe around us seems to be of a dual nature: light/dark, big/small, left/right, up/down, inside/outside, above/below, good/evil, right/wrong, love/hate, yin/yang etc., etc., etc.

Since the universe around us seems to be dual in nature, why don't we try to apply that same concept of duality to the two main competing "theories" within our world today: spirituality and science.

By looking at the apparent duality of the world around us and applying it to spirituality and science as a pair, we can come to the conclusion that they most definitely can compliment one another and DO. They are two sides of the same coin, one (science) being what is observed and the other (spirituality) being the one that is doing the observation.

If there is what can be observed and those observations point toward an apparent dual universe, can't we also assume that there must be something that cannot be observed based on that duality? The observable universe is what science deals with, it is the concrete application of our minds. But what about the abstract?

Unity

We are each an individual, there is only one of each and every one of us. Who are you truly? You are awareness in the form of light.

There is what I call the universal awareness, the "substance" that every living thing is a part of. That universal awareness is light and you see that light as you read this post; unity lies within the individual, in the one universal awareness.

How can I say that there is only one awareness? Think of it like this: if you and I are standing next to one another and we are both looking at the moon, are we not seeing the same moon? Are we not seeing the same image? That one image of the moon that we both share is the unity that I'm speaking of. We are all connected through the universal awareness. There is one awareness, but many facets within it. We are each an individual facet of the one universal awareness, just as one diamond has many different facets within it.

The spirit is the unobservable part of existence that spirituality deals with, it is the abstract. Thoughts are abstract, yet they occur within a concrete body.

Reconciliation

Where is the unity within duality? Within every single one of us. Our bodies are the dual nature of existence, our spirit is the universal nature of existence. We are the one universe experiencing itself from infinite perspectives.

Is a drop of water not part of the sea? When the sea moves, does the drop of water not move as well? We are each an individual drop of water within the one sea and when the sea moves so do we.

The sea is the universal awareness, but the sea is made up of individual droplets of water. The sea is made of one substance: water, and we as the UNIversal water droplets are the entire sea indiviDUALized (notice how the terms switched here, they are interchangeable). This is how unity within duality can be seen. And to drive the point home, our bodies are composed of 60% water, just to give you an idea of why I use water as an example.

Are big/small, light/dark, left/right, etc. not part of an even greater scale that includes both? There may be opposite ends of the spectrum but there is also where both ends meet in the middle. If we ever want to find peace and truth, we must all meet in the middle. The middle is where you are, we are all the same, we are all one on a very deep level. Science and spirituality can both come to this one conclusion if they meet in the middle.

So, what am I getting at with all of this? That science can compliment spirituality and spirituality can compliment science. They are two sides of the same coin. If we do not work with both in unison, we will never find the truth. If science doesn't take into account what cannot be observed then they will never get any closer to the answers we are looking for, the same goes for spirituality as well.

Thank you for reading.

posted on Sep, 1 2015 @ 02:26 AM
link   
I think your right, we do have to incorporate a type of spirituality into our scientific advancements.

I mean without spirituality, we're just primitive forms of life practicing the concept of survival of the fittest and destroying the very thing that gave us life in the first place (the earth). Without a form of spirituality, we are just parasites.

It's hard to feel a spiritual connection (or a oneness) within this life well inhabiting a fast paced dog eat dog civilized society though. But well out in the desert on your own, hundreds of km's from the nearest town on a moonlit night, just staring up at the stars, I get overwhelmed by a divine connection to this earth & universe. A feeling of purpose and honour just to have had the chance to experience this existence, without even the need to invent some imaginary divine entity, who is as ignorant as us humans currently are.

I imagine it was kind of how the Australian aboriginals felt, before European settlement. To them, it was the land that was sacred, they believed they were just one piece of a larger puzzle (for lack of a better word). Unlike us now, who behave like we are the entire puzzle and everything else is below us.

That's why I don't think modern day religion has anything to do with spirituality, its rather just a form of misguided superiority.

I personally believe the earth is like a womb and life is like the developing fetus. Soon we will leave this earth (the womb) and become a higher form of life and that's what I personally think the purpose of life is, to evolve and gain control of our own destiny by mastering the ability to live infinitely within this universe.

imo, we are the universe itself trying to develop its own consciousness.

posted on Sep, 1 2015 @ 02:52 AM
link   
a reply to: Subaeruginosa

We are still parasites and primitives. We're far from being spiritual.

You see, it's only good to practice spirituality that correlates with science.
Cause if it don't, then you fall to the category of the madmen.

You could only wish that all people are spiritual, but we're not.
It's not like everyone thinks alike, and everyone has the same language.
We are not one, far from one. As everyone comes to have the same language then I say we're close to one.
It's not a matter of growing yourself spiritual, It's a matter of turning everyone spiritual.
It's only a matter of time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
edit on 1-9-2015 by boozo because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 1 2015 @ 04:03 AM
link   
a reply to: 3NL1GHT3N3D1

Science and spirituality are ways of looking reality, that is what they share.

But they are opposing in their approach, with science/physics being about causality and atomicity and spiritualism being about rationality (as in looking for a reason/intention) and holism.

So yes, science can compliment spirituality and spirituality can compliment science. But you should be aware of the differences, avoid mixing them up. Else you'll end up with pseudo-scientific nonsense.

posted on Sep, 1 2015 @ 12:10 PM
link   
a reply to: moebius

I agree they have different approaches, but as you said they are two ways that we look at reality. If there is something science cannot explain then I believe spirituality can give a nudge in the right direction and vice versa.

In my opinion the physical world around us (science) can tell us many things about ourselves and our spiritual existence. Take for example the water cycle, day/night cycle, sleep cycle, etc. I believe those things point toward something that is spiritually within ourselves, showing that this life is only one go around and once we die we will begin the next cycle of life. Death is only the beginning of another experience and is not the end.

Science can't explain what happens after death but it can compliment spirituality in answering it.
edit on 9/1/2015 by 3NL1GHT3N3D1 because: (no reason given)

top topics

join