It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

No More Cosplay and Fan Works

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 30 2015 @ 09:00 PM
link   
If this is redundant, please forgive me. I couldn't get past the "loading search" so an external search engine didn't find this, so here goes. Thanks.

Cosplay and "fan works" participants may become criminals under the Trans Pacific Partnership Trade Agreement.

The intellectual property provisions, which is headed by the U.S., looks to lower what is considered criminal and to increase the penalties.

External Link to the TPP Press Release

The question becomes, will the TPP undermine US sovereignty and force individual obedience?

Under the TPP, it doesn't matter if the original creators file a complaint or not, fan works are automatically be illegal across the board.
It reads like TPP will usurp our laws, particularly,

Penalties that include sentences of imprisonment as well as monetary fines

Trade agreements aren't supposed to, or will it happen anyway? Seemingly Relevant Link
I don't know, so I'll defer to you, the scholars of this website.

edit on 30/8/15 by Adonsa because: added a to primary link

posted on Aug, 30 2015 @ 09:11 PM
link   

Don't . You . Dare . Touch . My . Cosplay . ! . ! . !

/growl
Mike Grouchy

posted on Aug, 30 2015 @ 09:14 PM
link   
Thanks for sharing. Yeah, that's pretty screwed up, even for people outside of Cosplay am sure it would make restrictions as well. Now if the times for people to urge their Reps and even more to not be in favor of the TPP.

posted on Aug, 30 2015 @ 09:17 PM
link   
a reply to: mikegrouchy

Seconded ..... nerds will rise, and it will be bloody ...

posted on Aug, 30 2015 @ 09:45 PM
link   
If that's the case, phasers will be fully functional at the next Star Trek convention. Trekkies will not give up the RPing quietly, and redshirts in suits will face the brunt of that.

posted on Aug, 30 2015 @ 09:51 PM
link   
It will be hard to revoke artistic licenses, cosplay is art in motion

posted on Aug, 30 2015 @ 10:02 PM
link   
I don't see this being enforced by anyone. "Cosplay" arguably increases sales, and dressing up as Mario is the same as drawing a picture of Mario. They're not going to be rounding up kids who draw pictures of Mario.

Personally, I think this is being blown way out proportion. This is probably to prevent knock-off costume products and toys being made en-mass in places like China.

posted on Aug, 30 2015 @ 10:24 PM
link   
Freedom of expression and eventually all art will be considered treason against the collective unless you have the proper clearances.

posted on Aug, 30 2015 @ 10:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: MystikMushroom
I don't see this being enforced by anyone. "Cosplay" arguably increases sales, and dressing up as Mario is the same as drawing a picture of Mario.

I have been on the internet since 1984 and the days of Arpanet, CompuServe, Prodigy, et al, and every step of the way the so-called rulers of this planet have crushed creativity, well structured knowledge, and collation of information. Napster existed in 1999, long before I-tunes. Crushed by lawsuits. YouTube was doing fine before Google bought them, but it was sold anyway. Fear of copyright infringement lawsuits. Again and again. The popular thing is crushed by lawyers and resurrected by the Elite.

The elite who rule the Earth couldn't reason their way out of a wet paper bag. They only know fear, intimidation, and more-money-than-you.

originally posted by: MystikMushroom
They're not going to be rounding up kids who draw pictures of Mario.

Personally, I think this is being blown way out proportion. This is probably to prevent knock-off costume products and toys being made en-mass in places like China.

I'm supposed to trust all those weasel words in the quote above?
    not going
    blown
    probably

Massive piles of Bull excrement. They would just _love_ to get a piece of the Cosplay action through some small licensing fee the Conventions have to pay. Or some other minor little pin prick they think no one will notice.

NO!
Can you hear me now?

/growl
Mike Grouchy
edit on 30-8-2015 by mikegrouchy because: format

posted on Aug, 31 2015 @ 09:25 AM
link   
a reply to: mikegrouchy

well said. Creativity is one of the fundamental forces that always challenges the control paradigm, therefore it will eventually be rooted out. It already has to a large extent just look at the limited representation of the same tired recycled pantheon in the arts today.....same bands, same actors......same same same......

posted on Aug, 31 2015 @ 10:25 AM
link   
They are going to despise free publicity in the name of intellectual property?

I'm a composer so I guess I would be flattered to be covered so I'm pretty sure creators are flattered to have people cosplay their creations.

Art lives on freedom, not profits.
edit on 31-8-2015 by theMediator because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2015 @ 02:56 PM
link   
a reply to: theMediator

Check out that word. It begins with an "f" and ends with an "m." It is an enemy of the state.

top topics

join