It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

could you imagine how it was before modern medicine

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 22 2015 @ 09:41 AM
link   
im sitting here thinking about this.
i have an ear infection in my right ear. friggin came out of nowhere. pain woke me up at 4am. do the ER thing and they gave me the z pack and some drops. let me tell you...this # hurts.
so i thinking how would it have been 100 years ago. or 500 years ago. a thousand years ago.....

illness/sickness/wounds, etc must have been terrible.
i know there are things in nature to help with certain ailments. you know, get a cut and rub some aloe on it. get a sort throat and drop a couple spoonfulls of honey....

that is no match for modern medicine IMO.
it must have been the pits.

what about pain? again i know there were/are things in nature with pain relieving properties. thats not the same though.

im thinking how bad it must have been for women to give birth. no meds. sanitation is whole different topic.
these days ladies can have epidurals...back in the day you just had to do it.

surgeries? amputations? sheeeeeet man. if you had to lose a leg your medical care consisted of biting down on a stick...

this ear infection just got me thinking about it.

you guys and gals ever wonder about this stuff?

posted on Aug, 22 2015 @ 09:51 AM
link   
I think Seth McFarlane in the movie 1 million ways to die in the west summed this up pretty good.
edit on 22-8-2015 by SachaX because: can't get link to work

posted on Aug, 22 2015 @ 09:51 AM
link   
a reply to: Mugly

It must have been difficult but I wonder how healthier folks felt minus the processed stuff that we eat that lead to a lot of our illnesses..

posted on Aug, 22 2015 @ 09:53 AM
link   

im thinking how bad it must have been for women to give birth. no meds. sanitation is whole different topic.

Look at preclampsia. A relatively easy condition to fix [high blood pressure and organ failure from incompatibility from fathers genes in the placenta/baby] a condition which was almost alwas fatal a century ago [to the mother and sometimes baby], but can be fixed easily now with a couple shots or other care.

posted on Aug, 22 2015 @ 09:55 AM
link   
a reply to: chrismarco

people in general live a lot longer today than people did thousands of years ago.
we have options today. nobody has to heat processed foods.

posted on Aug, 22 2015 @ 09:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: boncho

Look at preclampsia. A relatively easy condition to fix [high blood pressure and organ failure from incompatibility from fathers genes in the placenta/baby] a condition which was almost alwas fatal a century ago [to the mother and sometimes baby], but can be fixed easily now with a couple shots or other care.

thats the kind of stuff im talking about. people dog out modern medicine and big pharm all the time.
i know there are downsides. there are with everything.
modern medicine has worked wonders.
i dont have any numbers but the amount of women who die in childbirth these days are far lower that thousands of years ago.
look at the surgical techniques we have. it blows my mind when i think about all the things we can do.

posted on Aug, 22 2015 @ 09:59 AM
link   

People had to blame the Gods.

The problems of 300 years ago have been replaced by cancer, superbugs, auto-immune dysregulation, AID's, toxic saturation and birth defects.

These problems were not significant 300 years ago.

These modern problems are worse IMO. Why? They are destroying the DNA and fertility of homo sapiens. This development will be the terminal phase of humans short history on this planet. When that novel pandemic comes, and I'm positive it's coming, you will wish you had an intact human immune system. As for the pain? You had cannabis and opium. What more do you need?

posted on Aug, 22 2015 @ 10:57 AM
link   

i have an ear infection in my right ear. friggin came out of nowhere. pain woke me up at 4am. do the ER thing and they gave me the z pack and some drops. let me tell you...this # hurts.
so i thinking how would it have been 100 years ago. or 500 years ago. a thousand years ago.....

Your mother, mother in law, aunt or some towns person would have put an onion pack on your ear!

This is what we do:

1. Peel off the outer layers of an onion. Any onion will do — yellow, white, or red.

2. Roast in the oven at 350 degrees for about 20 minutes, until the onion is soft and steamy. (Or you can heat it in the microwave.)

3. Pierce the onion several times with a fork and place in a mason jar with a hole big enough to cover your ear.

4. Hold the open end of the jar against the side of your head so your ear is enclosed. You’ll feel the steam warming your ear.

5. Rest in bed or watch TV to pass the time. When I was little my mom would hold the jar and read to me while we snuggled in bed. Within an hour or so I felt a lot better!

6. When the steam settles, you can reheat the onion in the microwave and start the process over again until the pain is gone.

The steamy juice of the onion is antibacterial. It helps to unclog the ear canal and calm the inflammation so you can heal.

This method has worked for me every time. But ear infections can become serious, so please use good judgement and consult a doctor if there is no improvement. We always treated my earache at the first sign of discomfort. If the infection has already progressed and there is a fever, please seek medical attention.
atwystoflyme.com...

edit on 22-8-2015 by windword because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2015 @ 12:47 PM
link   
a reply to: windword

around here it would have been a newspaper or some other combustible item that can be made into a funnel, stuck it in your ear, and lit it on fire.

Sounds dumb, sounds crazy....100% effective at relieving pain.

posted on Aug, 22 2015 @ 01:13 PM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

Yep. It's called "Ear Candling".

posted on Aug, 22 2015 @ 02:00 PM
link   
I probably would die in early chlldhhood if I was born thousand years ago. But thousand years ago I think people didn't know such things as apathy, depression, aboulia, insomnia
edit on 22-8-2015 by Boticelli because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2015 @ 02:04 PM
link   
The Comanche (and before them the Apache) indians in the area used to have a tree/shrub they called "the toothache tree". They would mascerate the bark and apply it directly to the affected tooth, or chew it down if they could. It was willow bark. LOL...not nearly as mysterious when you identify exactly what it is.

posted on Aug, 22 2015 @ 08:36 PM
link   

I can imagine some of the pain from back then - To give you an idea: I got a really bad case of the flu a couple years back (keep in mind, I never take medicine, and never get the flu shot either). Well, I remained weak and dizzy as the fever grew. It got so bad that in the middle of the night - the fever ran so hot that every part of my body was on fire, and I was not able to even get out of the bed; I was also hallucinating, dizzy, and didn't even have the strength to call out for help. Now, if I was struggling with consciousness in a modern-day apartment, I'd probably be dead were it back then.

Now, had I taken some medicine before the fever even hit, I doubt I would have been as close to death as I was that night.

-foss

top topics

join