It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump: Get Rid of Birthright Citizenship

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 18 2015 @ 08:48 AM
link   
Didn't see this one posted yet. If it is, mods please delete

Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump wants to deny citizenship to the babies of immigrants living in the U.S. illegally as part of an immigration plan that emphasizes border security and deportation for millions.

He would also rescind Obama administration executive orders on immigration.

I am questioning whether Mr Trump understands how the Constitution works.... Does he realize that he does not have the power to do that as president? Maybe he thinks that he can sign off on a bill to skirt around the Constitutional amendment (you know... just like the democrats do regarding gun control and the Republicans bash them for it).

I know that this has been an ongoing issue and a simple google search will bring up years of results of Republicans and national polls to rid the 14th amendment of the citizenship clause. So, this is really nothing new, but it is being brought into the spotlight a lot more than usual because immigration seems to be The Donald's biggest talking point.

The odds of repealing the amendment's citizenship clause would be steep, requiring the votes of two-thirds of both houses of Congress and support from three-fourths of the nation's state legislatures. Republicans in Congress have repeatedly failed since 2011 to pass bills aimed at ending "birthright citizenship." Some conservatives believe that the granting of citizenship in such cases could be changed without amending the Constitution.

Personally, I agree with the article.... the chances of this ever passing would be slim to none. I have found some polls with upwards of 50% support to repeal/amend the 14th amendment, but that is still nowhere near the 2/3s super-majority which is required.

source
edit on 18-8-2015 by charolais because: typos and added information

+5 more 
posted on Aug, 18 2015 @ 08:52 AM
link   
a reply to: charolais

Lindsey Graham was asked about it, and he said he didn't have a problem with it, and thought it would pass.

I personally find it obscene. We would have generations of displaced, countryless persons. A cruel thing to do to a baby.

+1 more 
posted on Aug, 18 2015 @ 08:58 AM
link   
Does Trump realize that repealing the 14th amendment would create more government waste and bureaucracy, because every single time a child was born the parents would have to establish citizenship for their child with the government?

Would we have to create a new government office to keep track of all of that information?

posted on Aug, 18 2015 @ 09:01 AM
link   
I agree with him on this one.

posted on Aug, 18 2015 @ 09:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: introvert
Does Trump realize that repealing the 14th amendment would create more government waste and bureaucracy, because every single time a child was born the parents would have to establish citizenship for their child with the government?

Would we have to create a new government office to keep track of all of that information?

Your point?

What you don't want to create a new government office to keep track of the illegals? Why is that?

posted on Aug, 18 2015 @ 09:05 AM
link   

I agree with you, the irony is laughable.

This goes to all Republicans though... not just Trump. They spout on and on about smaller government, unless it involves their talking points (religion, abortion, immigration, war/foreign policy, etc.).

+5 more 
link   

Trump, also known as "That guy who will get a .45 to the face, before he ever gets a presidency."

Honestly. What a moron. It is as if he has never read a single word of the rules which govern the nation he wants to run.

link   
illegal immigration will be a bigger issue

+14 more 
link   

originally posted by: angeldoll

Lindsey Graham was asked about it, and he said he didn't have a problem with it, and thought it would pass.

I personally find it obscene. We would have generations of displaced, countryless persons. A cruel thing to do to a baby.

I hate to sound overly sensational but history shows that the easiest way to take over a country without violence is by changing the demographic over time.

Hispanics have larger families, statistically, so combine that with the rate of illegal immigration and you can see the future landscape of the United States changing dramatically.

+1 more 
posted on Aug, 18 2015 @ 09:07 AM
link   

Scott Walker and Bobby Jindal also agree with Trump on the citizen birthright issue, and in the same breath, Walker says we have to obey existing laws... Do they even know about the 14th amendment? Do they know the Constitution IS law? Somehow, I don't think so...

As a CEO, Trump is used to barking out orders and "making" things happen without resistance. This is one problem I have with the whole idea of a Trump presidency. He seems to think he'll be "King Trump"... What he says, goes. He's not considering the House and Senate, not to mention the American people's desires. What HE wants is what's important...

He's an idiot.

posted on Aug, 18 2015 @ 09:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: Chrisfishenstein

Your point?

What you don't want to create a new government office to keep track of the illegals? Why is that?

I think because as much as he doesn't want to admit it (or refuses to accept) is that there are still A LOT of immigrants who come here faithfully, who get a green card and who work for a living. I work in manufacturing and we have many immigrants with green cards who come to work in production/general manufacturing.

+4 more 
posted on Aug, 18 2015 @ 09:08 AM
link   
If the government would enforce the immigration laws we already have, there would not be an issue.
You can't have babies here if your not here to have one.

posted on Aug, 18 2015 @ 09:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: Benevolent Heretic

Scott Walker and Bobby Jindal also agree with Trump on the citizen birthright issue, and in the same breath, Walker says we have to obey existing laws... Do they even know about the 14th amendment? Do they know the Constitution IS law? Somehow, I don't think so...

As a CEO, Trump is used to barking out orders and "making" things happen without resistance. This is one problem I have with the whole idea of a Trump presidency. He seems to think he'll be "King Trump"... What he says, goes. He's not considering the House and Senate, not to mention the American people's desires. What HE wants is what's important...

He's an idiot.

I agree 100% and I have seen this with my own eyes working in the medical device industry. The "higher ups" in my experience couldn't care less about the rules (regulations, paperwork, laws, etc.) whatever they bark down to the managers & suervisors, they get.

posted on Aug, 18 2015 @ 09:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: charolais

Your point?

I think because as much as he doesn't want to admit it (or refuses to accept) is that there are still A LOT of immigrants who come here faithfully, who get a green card and who work for a living. I work in manufacturing and we have many immigrants with green cards who come to work in production/general manufacturing.

Uh no, Trump has stated several times that this is about illegal immigration.

People try to combine the issue and talk about all the wonderful immigrants who come here legally but that has nothing to do with it and, in my experience, people who earn their citizenship despise illegal immigrants even more than citizens born to American parents because they jumped through the hoops and worked for it.
edit on 8/18/2015 by Answer because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 18 2015 @ 09:11 AM
link   
a reply to: Answer

Hispanics have larger families, statistically, so combine that with the rate of illegal immigration and you can see the future landscape of the United States changing dramatically.

then the republicans can look on the bright side. They will have more bodies to train for their wars.

posted on Aug, 18 2015 @ 09:11 AM
link   

Your point?

It would not be a government office that keeps track of illegal immigrants. It would be a government bureaucracy where each and every child would have to apply for citizenship based on the status of their parents. What if you are denied because there is some confusion or mishandled paperwork? Government never gets it wrong, do they?

That is not American in the slightest. If you're born here, you are one of us. I don't care if your parents immigrated illegally or not.

There is also no evidence that shows people immigrate here with the sole purpose of having a child to remain in the US. So this is a solution to a non-problem.

posted on Aug, 18 2015 @ 09:12 AM
link   

No More Anchor Babies!

posted on Aug, 18 2015 @ 09:14 AM
link   
a reply to: angeldoll

Wouldn't the country of their parents extend citizenship to the child automatically? If not, please refer to Ted Cruz.

I agree with Mr. Trump. One parent should be a citizen of the US.

posted on Aug, 18 2015 @ 09:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: angeldoll
a reply to: Answer

then the republicans can look on the bright side. They will have more bodies to train for their wars.

And the Democrats will have more voters.

Nonsense political statements work both ways. Instead of discussing the actual issue, you just throw out a clever quip that's ultimately meaningless. It's childish.

I'm neither Republican or Democrat but any rational person can see that illegal immigration is a massive problem and change is needed.

posted on Aug, 18 2015 @ 09:19 AM
link   
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic

The Constitution has been trampled on for years, why stop now? Maybe Trump will try the pen and the phone magic too to change immigration and citizenship. Many things Obama has done without Congressional approval and skirted the Constitution.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join