It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Moon only object in space that does not spin on axis...

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 1 2005 @ 05:33 AM
link   
merger, ive been following a few of your posts and and fascinated with your knowledge, you seem to be on the same level of thought as me, was wondering if you had a email address where I could reach you. Here is some information on the reptilians that ive been compiling

www.puppstheories.com...

posted on Jan, 1 2005 @ 05:45 AM
link   
also if anyone would like to read MANY excerpts from Stewart Swerdlows Blue Blood True Blood , read no further. Some of this information may seem FANTASTIC but I ask you, would any REAL info including aliens seem surreal?

Swerdlow's great uncle was the first president) of the soviet union. Swerdlow says he was used in high level mind control because of his genetics, he was also used as a 'vessle' during illuminati rituals. He escapsed illuminati mind control and is now an amazing healer. Ive talked to people that have met him and said he's amazing.

scroll down this link and see much of his amazing priceless book.....

www.soulinvitation.com...

posted on Jan, 1 2005 @ 07:31 AM
link   
I thought it did spin on it's axis, just slowly enough that it is always facing us. I thought if it didn't spin at all you would see a different face of it at different points around the Earth, the same every time.
I.e. directly opposite from your location you would see the opposite side.

E_T

posted on Jan, 1 2005 @ 10:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by AgentSmith
I thought if it didn't spin at all you would see a different face of it at different points around the Earth, the same every time.
I.e. directly opposite from your location you would see the opposite side.
No, if moon wouldn't spin you would see different side of it depending on its position in its orbit around Earth, not depending on your position in earth.

You can simulate it with two balls, other one is earth and other moon, now put some mark to "moon's" face so that you know which side of it is which, now move moon around earth in circle so that marked face stays towards some stationary object, say towards door of the room.
That makes it clear that if moon wouldn't spin we would see its whole surface.
And because earth rotates ~27 times around its axis in same time what it takes for moon to make one complete circle in its orbit everyone in earth could see its whole surface because we would see little different part of it every day.

posted on Jan, 1 2005 @ 04:30 PM
link   
E_T, I agree with you with the spin of the Moons axis..... however, is that the same reason that artificial satelites always show the same face when orbiting the earth. IE Weather Satelites, International Space station etc..??

Do they spin once per orbit around the earth?

Kind Regards

posted on Jan, 1 2005 @ 07:30 PM
link   
Merger, artificial satellites have spin (or no spin) in relation to the Earth depending on what the mission designers want. For example, if the satellite's job were to keep a camera pointed toward the earth, its attitude would be fine-tuned by small thrusters so that it would appear stationary from the Earth (which, of course, means it would have one rotation per revolution, but we've already beat that one to death!).

Sometimes the mission planners will impart spin so that one side doesn't heat up and the other side freeze (that happens in space, without air to conduct heat).

Given enough time, any satellite, even a dense one a long distance from its primary, will settle into a one rotation-per-revolution because of tidal locking (see the earlier post and links on this thread); but in many cases it would take millions or even billions of years for such tidal locking to happen.

Most people think the Moon spearated from the Earth about 4 billion years ago after an impact by a Mars-sized planetesimal; the resulting rubble formed into a ring which then coalesced over eons to form the Moon. (This is why, according to commonly accepted views today, the Moon is not as dense as the Earth is; it is composed primarily of what was once the Earth's crust, not its core.

But anyway, even after 4 billion years, the Moon is not completely tidal-locked; proof of that is the Moon's libration or "wobbling" you can see in that time-lapse video earlier in this thread.

posted on Jan, 1 2005 @ 07:53 PM
link   
I quess thats why it is the only one with no gravity, while in the case of the who do spin the size and rate of rotation defines in most cases a greater gravity or very slightly lesser gravity than earth. oooohhh wait if the moon of earth doesnt spin because it is a satellite then I would say the satellites or moons of jupiter, mars etc. are the same, you would have to check but I think if I am not mistaken the orbit in the same manner as our moon, and some are large as or larger than our moon. isnt that right?

[edit on 1/1/2005 by drbryankkruta]

E_T

posted on Jan, 2 2005 @ 06:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Off_The_Street
For example, if the satellite's job were to keep a camera pointed toward the earth, its attitude would be fine-tuned by small thrusters so that it would appear stationary from the Earth (which, of course, means it would have one rotation per revolution, but we've already beat that one to death!).
Actually satellites and probes use reaction/momentum wheels for precise pointing. (especially good thing with those is they don't consume rocket fuel)

And what you mean with this stationary?
If you mean that satellite stays always in same place when looked from earth (good example is those ones relaying satellite TV broadcasts) they stay in same position because their orbits are just right sized so that while they make one rotation around earth in their orbit, earth also rotates once around its axis.

posted on Jan, 2 2005 @ 04:19 PM
link   
The moon's motion around the Earth causes the tides down here. But at the same time, the Earth causes tides on the moon. These tides act as a drag force, trying to slow things down. Over the billions of years that the Earth and moon have been around, the tidal forces have been enough to slow the moon down to the point where its rotation period is the same as its orbital period. We say that it has become "tidally locked".

It turns out that most moons in the solar system are tidally locked towards the planets they go around. This includes all the large moons of Jupiter and Saturn, for instance.

Even though 'locked' to earth, the moon does spin on it's axis. If you were to stand in one spot on the moon's equator, within a month you'd see all the stellar constellations that are visible from the earth.

posted on Jan, 11 2005 @ 12:06 PM
link   
Ok...now can anyone explain this check out this link:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

This moon look even more artificial...than our so-call moon.

posted on Jan, 11 2005 @ 06:39 PM
link   
Where did that information come from?

The Moon does spin on its axis. The weirdest thing is that it's "spin" precisely matches the time it takes to orbit the Earth, ~28.4 days (meaning we always see the same side/face of the Moon).

posted on Jan, 11 2005 @ 06:50 PM
link   
another thing like this is that venus is the only planet that spins opposite of all the other planets

posted on Jan, 12 2005 @ 03:05 AM
link   
This thread has been most interesting. Learned stuff I should have learnt 10 years ago in Physics class, better late than never right?

However I dont know if I support the theory that the Moon has been "locked" with Earth, thus always facing us with the same side. Its perfect "spin" could be artificial.

If it is indeed true that the Quake that hit Asia Dec26 accelrated Earth by a quarter of a second - what does this mean regarding the moons perfect spin around us;

Will it eventually show a different side? Or will the moon also start to spin faster? Wouldn´t the moon slow us down to the "normal" spin speed instead?

That was alot of questions but I hope to get some interesting answers from the various members here.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join