It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lost City Discovered in the Honduran Rain Forest

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 22 2015 @ 12:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: StanFL
a reply to: Wolfenz
The glyphs on the stellae are not written in an alphabet, they are like hieroglyphics, with one symbol for one object. Each king in the dynastic lineage had his own symbol. The Mayan alphabet is something wholly different, and is like alphabets for other languages, phonological or approximately. Translating the glyphs means knowing what the different symbols represented. There was no Mayan alphabet during ancient Mayan times.

Also, there are not many things on the stellae, they are almost all histories of the major events in the history of the city.

No doubt each city has its own set of symbology, as they each had their own dynastic lineages and histories. My guide knew the ones in the city he grew up next to, and stated to me that he learned it from his grandfather. Seemed reasonable at the time and still does.

ok ill check it out , good to know.. thanks ,

I read somewhere that there is different dialects in the Mayan culture ,
that in the Aztec's has similar Glyphs ! with the same meanings,

Conspiracy Mode ..

isn't funny you have two cultures oceans apart MAYAN & Egyptian
with similar pyramid like structure's and other stone buildings of how they were made
, Hieroglyphs for Written language, mummified burials, Star Gazing, Similar calendar Wheels,
similar type gods as if there was some kind of connection between them ,

To Bad that Most of The Mayan and some of the Egyptian History is Lost

from a Spanish Catholic Fundamentalist like Diego de Landa
Destroying much of the Mayan written Materials

Diego de Landa
anthropology.msu.edu...

and The Library of Alexandria Destroyed from a Roman Emperor to christian & muslim invasions

posted on Aug, 22 2015 @ 04:02 PM
link   

a reply to: Harte
Copan has the largest collection of glyphs of any Mayan site so far uncovered, and I could have learned to read them in a week. There aren't that many symbols.

The Mayan script is logosyllabic combining about 550 logograms (which represent whole words) and 150 syllabograms (which represent syllables). There were also about 100 glyphs representing place names and the names of gods. About 300 glyphs were commonly used.
Examples of the script have been found carved in stone and written on bark, wood, jade, ceramics, and a few manuscripts in Mexico, Guatemala and northern Belize.
Many syllables can be represented by more than one glyph
The script was usually written in paired vertical columns reading from left to right and top to bottom in a zigzag pattern.
Source

A week?

Today's Mayan language isn't even the same as the language of the ancient Mayans. I mean, languages change over time.

Try reading Old English (1600 years old) sometime, or even Middle English (900 years old.)

The Copan dates (for most monuments/glyphs) are circa 1300 years ago.

Harte

posted on Aug, 22 2015 @ 04:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: Wolfenz
and The Library of Alexandria Destroyed from a Roman Emperor to christian & muslim invasions

That Library was Greek.

Harte

posted on Aug, 22 2015 @ 06:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: Harte

That Library was Greek.

Harte

Correct,

Ptolemy I Soter the creator founder of the Library from Greece became
a general then became Pharaoh after Alexander

as i said Roman Emperor

Julius Caesar caused the a fire in the Library in his Civil War . estimated 48 AD

and sadly.

What wonders of the Ancient Civilization had, of Written materials from Etched Stones to Scrolls from all over
that was brought there, from Egypt's Main Trade Routes , although Egypt wasn't the Only Main Knowledge Center
The Ancient Library's in Persian Lands were also was one of the Main center Hubs of the World at the Time

Lost Knowledge that could explained most of the Ancient mysteries of the world.

people like Berossus, Sappho Hypatia Herophilius had there writing's there

So many controversies of the Library of what it contained ..

but for a Spanish Catholic Priest calling Ancient Mayan literature of glyphs
as blasphemy and made by heretics is a little too far

a tragic misconception, just like the Library of Alexandria and the Muslim Raids on the Library from the Muslim conquests !

what a shame

List of destroyed libraries
en.wikipedia.org...

to be on topic

Bishop De Landa, a Franciscan monk and conquistador during the Spanish conquest of Yucatán, wrote: "We found a large number of books in these characters and, as they contained nothing in which were not to be seen as superstition and lies of the devil, we burned them all, which they (the Maya) regretted to an amazing degree, and which caused them much affliction." Only three extant codices are widely considered unquestionably authentic

from Landa gyph drawings and deciphering
www.mesoweb.com...

Well this is interesting even tho its wiki

Alonso de Zorita wrote that in 1540 he saw numerous such books in the Guatemalan highlands that "recorded their history for more than eight hundred years back, and that were interpreted for me by very ancient Indians" (Zorita 1963, 271-2). Fr. Bartolomé de las Casas lamented that when found, such books were destroyed: "These books were seen by our clergy, and even I saw part of those that were burned by the monks, apparently because they thought [they] might harm the Indians in matters concerning religion, since at that time they were at the beginning of their conversion." The last codices destroyed were those of Nojpetén, Guatemala in 1697, the last city conquered in the Americas.[4] With their destruction, the opportunity for insight into some key areas of Maya life has been greatly diminished.

en.wikipedia.org...

The Main Source Link

Maya Writing
www.authenticmaya.com...

edit on 62015SaturdayfAmerica/Chicago8233 by Wolfenz because: (no reason given)

edit on 62015SaturdayfAmerica/Chicago8233 by Wolfenz because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2015 @ 06:34 PM
link   
well people here is a Mayan Glyph Workshop Handbook made in 2001 in PDF

NIce : )

Introduction to Maya Hieroglyphics workshop 6 2004 edition
www.mesoweb.com...

Enjoy

posted on Aug, 22 2015 @ 06:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: Harte

That Library was Greek.

Harte

Correct,

Ptolemy I Soter the creator founder of the Library from Greece became
a general then became Pharaoh after Alexander

as i said Roman Emperor

Julius Caesar caused the a fire in the Library in his Civil War . estimated 48 AD

and sadly.

What wonders of the Ancient Civilization had, of Written materials from Etched Stones to Scrolls from all over
that was brought there, from Egypt's Main Trade Routes

Most likely nothing at all. It wasn't a museum. The Ptolemys weren't interested in collecting Ancient Egyptian artifacts, other than to try and glom on to the Egyptian's ancient history.

It's true that the loss of the Library is regretful. But the library was mostly compiled of books that copies had been made from. There was a practice at Alexandria that any ship docking there give up every book on board, the Library would make copies.
Usually, the Library kept the originals.

The copies were extant at other places at the time, is the point. Those losses can't be blamed on Caesar's "accident," if that's what it was.

Harte

posted on Aug, 22 2015 @ 09:05 PM
link   

The glyphs on the stellae are not written in an alphabet, they are like hieroglyphics, with one symbol for one object. Each king in the dynastic lineage had his own symbol. The Mayan alphabet is something wholly different, and is like alphabets for other languages, phonological or approximately. Translating the glyphs means knowing what the different symbols represented. There was no Mayan alphabet during ancient Mayan times.

Also, there are not many things on the stellae, they are almost all histories of the major events in the history of the city.

No doubt each city has its own set of symbology, as they each had their own dynastic lineages and histories. My guide knew the ones in the city he grew up next to, and stated to me that he learned it from his grandfather. Seemed reasonable at the time and still does.

ok ill check it out , good to know.. thanks ,

I read somewhere that there is different dialects in the Mayan culture ,
that in the Aztec's has similar Glyphs ! with the same meanings,

Conspiracy Mode ..

isn't funny you have two cultures oceans apart MAYAN & Egyptian
with similar pyramid like structure's and other stone buildings of how they were made
, Hieroglyphs for Written language, mummified burials, Star Gazing, Similar calendar Wheels,
similar type gods as if there was some kind of connection between them ,

To Bad that Most of The Mayan and some of the Egyptian History is Lost

from a Spanish Catholic Fundamentalist like Diego de Landa
Destroying much of the Mayan written Materials

Diego de Landa
anthropology.msu.edu...

As I said, even today there are over 24 Mayan dialects and cultures..

posted on Aug, 22 2015 @ 09:11 PM
link   

a reply to: Quetzalcoatl14

We went to the giant toad site on horseback. It was nice, but it was not clear from those I talked to that it really was a birthing site 1500 years ago. That was a guess made recently after it was discovered.

Nice. Good hike/ride. I remember reading that about the birthing somewhere or someone telling me. They do know that those are symbols of fertility in at least the Copan Mayan culture, and believe it was a fertility site. Perhaps the birthing was just hypothetical as you say.

posted on Aug, 22 2015 @ 09:36 PM
link   

some of the really 'loved' works by the well known writers of the day may very well have been copied and even copied again for safe-keeping just in case an unexpected 'invasion' were to happen
so in that case all is not lost to time and may be rediscovered someday

posted on Aug, 22 2015 @ 11:06 PM
link   

thats is quite a lot for mayans to have isn it ?

just wonder why ?

posted on Aug, 22 2015 @ 11:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: blacktie

some of the really 'loved' works by the well known writers of the day may very well have been copied and even copied again for safe-keeping just in case an unexpected 'invasion' were to happen
so in that case all is not lost to time and may be rediscovered someday

There are Some of the scrolls to Maps are thought to be from the Library of Alexandria
Some Copies , not sure of the proof tho .

like in the united states there usually now reprints, duplicates, editions of everything . LOL
as of now , of literature , audio , video thanks internet!

I doubt there where 2nd copies of the Mayan Written History besides of the 3 existing Context's
before a Fundamentalist Catholic Priest Spanish Priest came along and destroyed what he could get his hand on
who know hopefully there some more hidden away yet to be discovered in some lost structure in ground or out

1,600-year-old Mayan artifacts discovered july 29th 2015
www.cnn.com...

See video

as the Glyphs tells a story of a new king and the year 418 ad

posted on Aug, 23 2015 @ 06:18 PM
link   

thats is quite a lot for mayans to have isn it ?

just wonder why ?

Well, I studied more of the Mayan history generally and then also recent issues such as the genocide of many Mayan groups during the late 20th century civil war in Guatemala, but I focused less on the linguistics. I was exposed to some of the information about it.

There may be people on this thread who can answer your question much better who have a deeper knowledge of Mayan linguistics.

Part of the answer to your question may go back to the fact that as others noted, the Mayan civilization was less of a unified empire and more of a bunch of city states covering much of Central America. There may be a number of dialects going back over a millennia. Moreover, the civilization covered nearly 1500-2000 years. I'm just guessing here, but after the conquest by Europeans there may have been more and more fragmentation of the individual indigenous groups and communities, especially those living in traditional ways and living near the land. Those were scattered across a relatively wide area. Given 500 years, more linguistic fragmentation may have occurred. Just hazarding an educated guess here.

posted on Aug, 23 2015 @ 06:44 PM
link   
A quick look at the Maya language tree shows that most of the current 29 subdivisions in language formed pre contact.

Spanish missionaries weren't interested in preserving the lingo as much as they were teaching Spanish.
edit on 23-8-2015 by Marduk because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join